We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Rez at McGill Options
JessBee
Posted: March 23, 2008 10:30:41 PM

Groups: Member

Are there pros or cons to living in McGill residence that applicants should be aware of beforehand that the school wouldn't/hasn't necessarily advertised (either generally speaking, or at the Royal Victoria Rez)?

Accepted to:
Memorial University of Newfoundland (BA- English Major, Classics Minor)
University of Alberta (BA- Psychology Major, Classics Minor)
University of Ottawa (BA- Honors Philosophy with Specialization in Ethics and Society)
Carleton University (BA- Political Science Major with Specialization in Gender and Politics)

Waiting on:
McGill University (BA- English)
erinc
Posted: March 24, 2008 5:01:09 AM

I wonder too. I'm thinking of going to New Residence Hall.
Any information?

UBC Bachelor of Science 2012
JessBee
Posted: March 24, 2008 5:45:21 PM

erinc wrote:
I wonder too. I'm thinking of going to New Residence Hall.
Any information?

I've heard nothing of RVC from an actual student (because I don't know any other girls who go to McGill), but the one guy I know who is studying there lives in New Residence Hall and he says it's excellent. He found the food to really be lacking for the amount of money he pays, but he says the quality of the rooms and the social scene is worth living in that residence. That's the only dorm I know anything about though.

Any McGill students have their two cents to throw in?

Accepted to:
Memorial University of Newfoundland (BA- English Major, Classics Minor)
University of Alberta (BA- Psychology Major, Classics Minor)
University of Ottawa (BA- Honors Philosophy with Specialization in Ethics and Society)
Carleton University (BA- Political Science Major with Specialization in Gender and Politics)

Waiting on:
McGill University (BA- English)
five_hearts
Posted: March 30, 2008 12:09:03 AM

I'm currently a McGill student and here are a few comments on some of the rez buildings:

a. MORE Houses (I currently live here big grin): It's a great experience for first year, sharing a house with only few people. But in my experience, the only thing I hated was sharing one kitchen. It gets really gross. This isn't for all MORE Houses though. In my house you share a kitchen, but there are ones with a kitchen on each floor. (Also, if you get into 522 Pins, you are lucky because it's newly renovated! Everyone from other MORE houses are jealous of 522.)

b. New Residence Hall (aka New Rez): One thing. Amazing food compared to the other residences. It used to be a hotel and the building is okay. But I've been into a double room and I must say it is quite small. It is exactly like a hotel room with the two beds, not enough lighting, individual washrooms, and tiny tables.

c. Greenbriar: Very close to campus. They have kitchens in the rooms so you can cook your own food.

d. Upper Rez: I haven't been to Upper Rez but it is really far up the hill. I don't know how the upper rez people can walk up and down that hill everyday. Especially in the winter when there's so much snow in Montreal.

e. RVC: I've heard that the caf food sucks. But it's right in front of campus so you can leave 5 minutes before class starts.

I haven't heard much about Solin Hall, but I wouldn't want to live that far away from the school. And that's all I have to comment on. Hope this helps a little!

SL
Juiced8
Posted: March 30, 2008 4:21:19 AM

More Houses: If you get one you'll be happy. Im personally in love with the buildings they live in and want to live in one just like them next year...but without the whole mcgill owning it thing...

New Res: Some peope hate it, others dont. I personally hate it because its a complete hassle to go to, as a non New Res student here at mcgill. Some Guard, yes gaurd, takes your ID when you enter, with a friend who actually lives there of course, and then gives it back to you when you exit. The rooms and the building are nice though., and the food they get makes me wanna cry. Horribly overpriced I hear though.

Greenbriar: Very close to campus as said before, small. also really anti social, but i guess thats good if thats what your into. I know a couple people on my floor who would love that.

Upper Rez: Rip Off and a half for what your paying. The rooms are more like my closet back home, although to be fair I did have a bigger than average closet. Losts of beer pong( i hate it personally ) and partiesque get togethers. The hill, is not as bad as everyone says, at first. Im in good shape, but that hill has deterred me from going to class far too many times. The walk down is fine, but the inevetable walk back....

RVC: I've been there a couple of times, its kindof nice. Girls everywhere!!! lol Cant say much more about it, alot of my friends go the caf and say its good, or at least better than the crap BMH serves to us.

Solin: Been there too many times to count. Im in love with, if only they could relocate that place to make it on campus. Apartments are amazing. And I dont know if its just this year but the people there are amazing too. Used to be a chocolate factory, nuff said.

Mcgill BSc 2011
slacker
Posted: April 18, 2008 12:19:36 AM

bumppppp
heythereb
Posted: April 22, 2008 9:03:04 AM

I've already filled out the housing application, and listed MORE houses as my first 2 choices, and New Rez as 3rd.

The only thing I'm really concerned with MORE houses is if I don't particularly get along with the people I live with.

McGill Arts '12
awalker
Posted: April 24, 2008 1:38:46 PM

heythereb wrote:
I've already filled out the housing application, and listed MORE houses as my first 2 choices, and New Rez as 3rd.

The only thing I'm really concerned with MORE houses is if I don't particularly get along with the people I live with.

Do you know if it's "first come first serve" for picking rooms?
I haven't been accepeted yet, so I can't apply.
Therefore I'm afraid I'll be stuck somewhere I don't want to be because I'm second or third round acceptances.

McGill '12
heythereb
Posted: April 24, 2008 4:16:26 PM

awalker wrote:
heythereb wrote:

Do you know if it's "first come first serve" for picking rooms?
I haven't been accepeted yet, so I can't apply.
Therefore I'm afraid I'll be stuck somewhere I don't want to be because I'm second or third round acceptances.

Do you mean people who accept their offer get a lower lottery number? I don't know. I'm in Ontario high school pool 1 so I thought I might get a lower number. But somewhere on the McGill site (or maybe someone on this site) it says that come June 15th, everyone who has been accepted and filled out their rez questionnaire will be entered into this draw that assigns everyone random numbers. And then whoever has the lowest number gets their 1st choice, and so on.

McGill Arts '12
tmhlee
Posted: April 26, 2008 12:18:19 AM

The MORE houses seem awesome. I'm worried about who'd get placed in it as well, but apparently most of the MORE housing people are pretty artsy ? Seems like the type of people I'd get along with so I'm down big grin

Anyone know much about Douglas?

heythereb
Posted: April 26, 2008 4:21:45 PM

tmhlee wrote:
The MORE houses seem awesome. I'm worried about who'd get placed in it as well, but apparently most of the MORE housing people are pretty artsy ? Seems like the type of people I'd get along with so I'm down big grin

Anyone know much about Douglas?

Yeah, I'm in Arts and I'm listing MORE houses as my top 2 choices.

From my understanding, Douglas is Upper Rez, which also includes Gardner and Molson. You have to climb a fair bit to get to these residences, and there's something like one caf shared between all these residences. There are around 5-6 floors in each, and some don't have elevators (I know Gardner doesn't). The rooms are mostly singles and fairly small. I found that to be the case at all the rez at McGill except for New Rez.

Chose a MORE house! Who knows, maybe we'll end up in the same house! Haha.

McGill Arts '12
tmhlee
Posted: April 26, 2008 5:10:47 PM

Yeah I'm thinking I'll list MORE as my top choice... Except 522 is apparently for graduates only according to McGill's Rez site?

The only thing is I'm not sure if I'd be missing out on the typical rez life or not... Though MORE houses are so pretty looking. I forgot to see the inside on the two occasions I visited McGill though. D'oh. Are the rooms a decent size?

And anyone hear anything about Dio & Prez? They seem like a mix of MORE & Upper Rez.

I think Douglas is somehow separate from the Upper Rez (Molson, Gardner, McConnell?) since it has its own cafeteria; and a little less up the hill. It is very Hogwarts-esque. I've just heard that they are very secluded from the rest of the campus since it's all on its own and you don't meet anyone. (If there is any truth to that, it couldn't be as bad as Solin anyway. haha)

And some girls told to stay away from RVC and that their food is really bad. lol.

heythereb
Posted: April 26, 2008 5:25:28 PM

tmhlee wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking I'll list MORE as my top choice... Except 522 is apparently for graduates only according to McGill's Rez site?

The only thing is I'm not sure if I'd be missing out on the typical rez life or not... Though MORE houses are so pretty looking. I forgot to see the inside on the two occasions I visited McGill though. D'oh. Are the rooms a decent size?

And anyone hear anything about Dio & Prez? They seem like a mix of MORE & Upper Rez.

I think Douglas is somehow separate from the Upper Rez (Molson, Gardner, McConnell?) since it has its own cafeteria; and a little less up the hill. It is very Hogwarts-esque. I've just heard that they are very secluded from the rest of the campus since it's all on its own and you don't meet anyone. (If there is any truth to that, it couldn't be as bad as Solin anyway. haha)

And some girls told to stay away from RVC and that their food is really bad. lol.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live at RVC. I mean, all-girls sounds kinda lame, plus the rooms are dingy and not worth the crazy amount of money you will pay.

The only thing I'm apprehensive about living in MORE housing is missing the rez experience too. Most houses have around 15 people living in there, so if you don't like one person, that's a big percentage of your "room mates" that you won't be friends with, versus somewhere like New Rez.

http://www.mcgill.ca/residences/undergraduate/tour/more/
522 is available for undergrads from what the website says. It's good value, too. The houses are big, based on the pics (I didn't check them up at the McGill Open House, unfortunately). And don't look as depressing as some of the other rez rooms do.

McGill Arts '12
tmhlee
Posted: April 26, 2008 6:48:49 PM

darn those look nice. About the people thing, I guess you don't HAVE to hang out with only the people from your house right?

I saw from their map online that 522 was grad.. that's pretty whack. Maybe the map is out of date:
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/residences/residencemap.pdf

New Rez was pretty nice. Only downsides being you are most likely to get a double room + the mandatory 7-day meal plan + pricey much.

heythereb
Posted: April 27, 2008 2:02:20 PM

tmhlee wrote:
darn those look nice. About the people thing, I guess you don't HAVE to hang out with only the people from your house right?

I saw from their map online that 522 was grad.. that's pretty whack. Maybe the map is out of date:
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/residences/residencemap.pdf

New Rez was pretty nice. Only downsides being you are most likely to get a double room + the mandatory 7-day meal plan + pricey much.

I know that you can make friends with other people, but it's nice to have at least a couple good friends near by. Plus, you're likely to meet people through roommates/housemates if you're on good terms with them, etc.

I think the great thing about MORE houses is that they have a great location. They're really close to campus/gym, which makes a huge differences in the winter (those months between October and April). I know New Rez is only like 3-5 blocks away from campus, but that would probably pose a giant problem with there's a blizzard and you have to go to class or the gym.

McGill Arts '12
tmhlee
Posted: April 28, 2008 5:05:16 PM

Yeahh, I love the proximity to school and downtown smile

Upper rez is so farrrr. I'm afraid I'd feel secluded from the rest of the city, + the hill would be terrifying in icy winters.

Did you notice on the site that MORE houses are a 11month lease?? weird. If you can't find anyone to sublet to.. what happens? o_o... not that I wouldn't mind living in montreal during the summer.. jazz fest <3

martin
Posted: April 30, 2008 7:53:04 AM

I'm thinking the same thing, I'll be completely missing out on the whole 'residence' experience! With only 15 people compared to say 600 people in New Residence!

Arghhh....Choices, Choices, Choices
heythereb
Posted: April 30, 2008 7:48:51 PM

In case you guys haven't checked it out yet, http://youtube.com/user/mcgilltour. You can see tours conducted by an actual student of all the residences.

I heard that it's hard to make friends at Greenbriar because everyone tends to keep their apartment doors closed and generally keep to themselves.

New Rez has the most rooms, but it's also REALLY popular, so I guess more people put it as their number 1 choice than there are places for them, so that's why it's harder to get into.

McGill Arts '12
martin
Posted: April 30, 2008 11:23:22 PM

I watched that Youtube video and I still can't make up my mind.

So is Douglas, Molson, Gardner & McConnell for Upper Year Students only?

AND

Solin, Greenbriar and New Residence for Undergraduates?
heythereb
Posted: April 30, 2008 11:26:30 PM

No, Douglas, Molson, Gardner & McConnell are for undergraduates. They're called Upper Rez because they're on a hill.

McGill Arts '12