We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

UBC or McGill- International Relations Options
tapiocabubbletea
Posted: April 4, 2009 10:49:02 PM
Groups: Member

Hi, I've been accepted to both. I can't decide where to go!!

Does anyone know which one has the better International Relations program?

I know UBC has a department for it and for some reason, McGill doesn't but I'm not sure if that is important or not. McGill has IR under the political science major.

Also, I'm concerned about huge class sizes. Does anyone know how UBC addresses this issue? Like, do they have class videos and notes posted online...or anything else??

Thanks!!

Kitiara
Posted: April 4, 2009 11:05:43 PM

I would think UBC is better because McGill in their program book has it listed as a minor.
Plus UBC has coop for IR.

rawr ~
UT 2013 - Trinity College
~Trin, Trin, our daddies got us in (:
rory
Posted: April 5, 2009 9:30:57 AM

yes - notice that there is no major stream for IS @ McGill... only for IDS.

is excited for a future, and will start to be excited for her future once she decides on it. !

Applied to: McGill, Queen's, UofT (St. George) : Arts (International Studies), Western
Early Acceptance to: Everywhere! Now for the decisions.
McG2012
Posted: April 6, 2009 12:52:52 AM

Yeah. McGill doesn't really have an IR program. I have no idea why, though. They could definitely do it. Oh well.
Rayo
Posted: April 7, 2009 7:00:22 PM

When I was at McGill I was assured that the education in international relations via the political science program would be just as thorough as any international relations program. I have also heard from numerous people that your bachellor degree is relatively unimportant, especially if you plan on pursuing a higher degree or masters. Lets admit it, you aren't doing anything amazing with just an international relations degree or just a political science degree, so don't get too worried about the technicalities. Just go for which school you personally prefer - and UBC and McGill are both great!

Accepted: McGill, U of T (St. George), Carleton
synecdoche.etc
Posted: April 21, 2009 10:17:56 PM

I don't know anything about McGill, but I'm trying to get into the UBC IR program, so I can help with that.

Firstly, it's interdisciplanary, and doesn't have it's own department. It's its own program, but not a department. The classes are in History, Poli Sci and Economics, as well as a language requirement and the potential for Area Studies. You can't take an Honours in it, but only in partnership with the History or Poli Sci departments.

It's also quite competitive - there are a pile of (not exactly the easiest) prereqs once you're there and there are only 50 students accepted each year. They reccommend a 78% average (in the first two years of university).

Here's the calendar page if you want more information about it: http://www.students.ubc.ca/calendar/index.cfm?tree=12,197,282,86

Not totally related, but IRSA, the International Relations Student Association, is really involved (and not limited to IR students), and they put on a Model UN conference which is also great fun, so there are great opportunities for IR fun, even outside of the program.

Definitely consider it, but be aware it's not easy.

Corpus Christi College in first year
UBC transfer for second year
Poli Sci / International Relations (hopefully)