We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

UBC- what's it like? Options
needavacation
Posted: February 23, 2009 6:11:51 AM
Groups: Member

just curious about campus life
ubcgirl
Posted: March 3, 2009 5:15:02 AM

You're going to have to be more specific than that... What are you interested in?
needavacation
Posted: March 5, 2009 3:12:30 AM

the food
the parties
the people
what the residences are like: do you prefer Vanier or Totem?
if you're doing Arts, what is it like?
if you know anything about being a political science major...

the general atmosphere, what did you notice about UBC that you thought was unusual or anything that you like or dislike about the campus or people or activities...
any input about anything is fine!
person1
Posted: March 10, 2009 11:53:12 PM

I go to UBC Vancouver and I'm in Arts.
1. Vanier is better than Totem.
2. Parties are alright, but I haven't been overly impressed by them, in fact I have found a lot of them to be quite lame, so my friends and I usually end up going clubbing downtown.
3. UBC is probably at least 70% asian. I am usually the only caucasian person in my classes and lectures (and my lectures have at least 100 people in them) soo its very very very asian, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. Because I am usually the only caucasian person around, I definatly feel isolated as a minority, and find that most of the asians I have encountered at UBC only socialize with each other. So if you don't feel as though you could feel comfortable with that kind of social structure, i wouldn't recommend coming here. On the other hand, if you are asian you will fit right in!
4. If you are not from Vancouver to begin with, an important thing to know is that it rains... and when I say rains, I mean POURS.. as in EVERYDAY lol I have lived in Vancouver most of my life and can confidently tell you that it rains pretty much non-stop for at least 9 months of the year, the other 3 months are sunny though! Unfortunately those 3 months are June, July and August and you probably won't be at UBC for those months, unless you are taking summer course.

I hope I have provided you with SOME help, I'm not too sure if this was what you were looking for, but hopefully it helps you get a better understanding of what UBC is really like.
tehmimo
Posted: March 11, 2009 11:36:08 PM

^ xD thats harsh! im chinese and i only have one friend who's chinese too.

maybe it depends on how fob you are. i could never relate to the honger girls with their expensive purses and love of... korean boy bands. o_o siiiiiigh

[University of British Columbia] Arts'13
james_laurie59
Posted: March 12, 2009 8:05:07 PM

needavacation wrote:

hands down the ugliest campus of any of the good Canadian universities (pretty general but what evs) - the architecture is dirt ugly and setup is inefficient... the surrounding forest isn't bad.
uni.bound
Posted: March 12, 2009 11:39:05 PM

person1 says it "rains pretty much non-stop for at least 9 months of the year," but to be fair, lately it's been snowing a lot more than it's been raining. smile
The climate in Vancouver is lovely in that it is MILD. As a plus, you can hike, snowboard, fish, and hit the beach all in the same day, so long as you wake up early enough.
sidhu_sukh
Posted: March 14, 2009 3:16:04 AM

james_laurie59 wrote:
needavacation wrote:

hands down the ugliest campus of any of the good Canadian universities (pretty general but what evs) - the architecture is dirt ugly and setup is inefficient... the surrounding forest isn't bad.

You got to be kidding me!!!!

UBC Vancouver campus is so nice and also eco friendly. I love the UBC campus!! Have you ever been on the campus?

Needavacation: I am not answering your question because I don't live on campus...

UBC Bachelor of Sciences 2012
tehmimo
Posted: March 14, 2009 5:31:54 PM

Yeah I thought UBC was gorgeous! Close to Wreck Beach, there's a rose garden ON CAMPUS, a traditional Japanese garden... it's beautiful :3.

Prettier than UVic I think, and I liked UVic too.

soccerchamp17
Posted: March 14, 2009 9:17:52 PM

I heard wreck beach sucks. Usually old men looking for young UBC chicks, but they only find other wrinkly old naked dudes.
raindrops
Posted: March 21, 2009 8:41:09 PM

how is the social scene at ubc ?
poachedsalmon
Posted: March 25, 2009 10:12:34 PM

Yeah it's true 70% or even more than that actually of the population are asian bookworms, but the asians that are socially open are quite fun to be around smile.

Sauder 2013
tehmimo
Posted: March 30, 2009 10:22:44 AM

^w00t :3

tribesdude
Posted: April 7, 2009 2:28:51 AM

Are you serious? 70% Asian? How about in Sauder? I have nothing against asians (in fact i myself am Euro Asian) but where i go to school at right now, a large population are asians (more specifically Koreans, Japanese and Chinese) which is fine, especially since Korean people can be pretty, but I do want some diversity, especially since I look more white than I do Asian (or so i am told, i am from central Asia). Oh well..., but damn, the girls at UBC probably dont look good then...
Caesar
Posted: April 8, 2009 4:09:56 AM

Everyone's communist there. Espeically the Sauder kids. I'm in Sauder. We have to read the communist manifesto in accounting class:

Буржуазия, везде, где она получало преимущество, клала конец к совсем феодальным, патриархальный, идилличным отношениям. Она… вышла оставать никакой другой цепью между человеком и человеком чем нагое своекорыстие, чем омозолелый «платеж наличными»… для эксплуатирования, завуалировано вероисповедными и политическими иллюзионами, она заменяла нагой, беззастенчивый, сразу, зверский революционизировать эксплуатирования… постоянн продукции, непрекращающийся помехи всех социальных условий, вековечные неопределенность и взволнование различают буржуазную эпоху от всего более раньше одни… все которое твердые melts в воздух, вс которая святейша profaned, и человек на последнем вынужденном для того чтобы смотреть на с трезвыми чувствами, его реальными условиями жизни, и его отношениями с его видом.

The Asians are ok. But you have to date Kazaks and Siberians, no Moscovites. Too influenced by foreign capitalists.
tribesdude
Posted: April 14, 2009 4:14:22 AM

Caesar, a zachem ti napisal na ruskom kogda nekto zdec na ryskom ne govorit?
Seriously,what was the point of writing that stuff?
milktea02
Posted: April 24, 2009 8:47:14 PM

pfft rain. I live in the rainiest city in Canada.

I don't go to UBC but I did get to visit my friend there. Rose Garden and the Japanese park are awesome. ^^
Mainly heading to Vancouver for the food though >big grin

UBC Science '13
UBC CSP 09
UBC '13
Place Vanier 09/10 and 10/11

Majoring in Chemistry
LaVitaeBella
Posted: April 26, 2009 1:56:55 PM

needavacation wrote:
the food
the parties
the people
what the residences are like: do you prefer Vanier or Totem?
if you're doing Arts, what is it like?
if you know anything about being a political science major...

the general atmosphere, what did you notice about UBC that you thought was unusual or anything that you like or dislike about the campus or people or activities...
any input about anything is fine!

the campus is kind of too spread apart in my opinion and there doesn't seem to be much school or community spirit but it's a very good school in a fantastic location with a good reputation. the food was good when i visited. can't answer much about the arts or polisci or parties. and i'd pick vanier
dark.avalon
Posted: May 4, 2009 7:41:19 PM

How crass.

UBC is a fairly good campus; Vancouver's nice if you like rain, dreary clouds, and random weather.

Meh.
For all people needing information about university, please refer to the following link first due to the excessively repetitive questions: University - Applications, Finances, Extracurriculars, etc. Please and Thank You.
Leaving the forum for good.
tehmimo
Posted: May 8, 2009 10:51:12 PM

^ UBC has its nice days too! it drizzles more than it rains so it's not a big deal. UBC Campus is colder than the rest of Vancouver though. It's one of the biggest campuses in Canada so I heard it may be hard to get to class on time.