We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Best engineering discipline with regard to pay and demand? Options
maplesyrup23
Posted: February 20, 2009 7:23:30 PM

Groups: Member

What is the best engineering discipline today with regard to pay and demand for labour?

Click Me!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later. - Mitch Hedberg

bijanv
Posted: February 20, 2009 8:10:43 PM

maplesyrup23 wrote:
What is the best engineering discipline today with regard to pay and demand for labour?

It's generally a toss up between Chem and ECE however the range for ECE is much much bigger than other engineering disciplines. You will many people getting 40 grand since they couldn't secure actual engineering jobs and ended up in IT (although for most people this isn't the case and this happened after the 2000 dot com burst and things are getting better) to 120 grand for people with 10 years experience.

-University of Toronto Electrical Engineering 1T0 + PEY!
walk
Posted: February 21, 2009 1:38:46 AM

geological and mining, getting into the petroleum industry pays big bucks. And with a huge lack of geological engineers already, and the retiring population of the baby boomers, i imagine they'll start making even more soon. Straight out of university, engineers that have some sort of tie to petroleum make on average, 20 grand more than other engineers, well somewhere around that number anyway.
cng
Posted: February 21, 2009 1:56:18 AM

walk wrote:
geological and mining, getting into the petroleum industry pays big bucks. And with a huge lack of geological engineers already, and the retiring population of the baby boomers, i imagine they'll start making even more soon. Straight out of university, engineers that have some sort of tie to petroleum make on average, 20 grand more than other engineers, well somewhere around that number anyway.

wouldn't you be sort of tied down in terms of where you have to work, such as the Prairies (not saying there's anything wrong, but if it's true than you'd just be restricted a bit).
Posted: February 21, 2009 2:09:45 AM

walk wrote:

lmao
hexogen
Posted: February 21, 2009 2:29:15 AM

42 wrote:
walk wrote:

lmao

Was that funny?

I am in first year university and therefore may give amazing advice.

Chemical Engineering/Metallurgical Engineering
Posted: February 21, 2009 10:07:02 AM

hexogen wrote:
42 wrote:
walk wrote:

lmao

Was that funny?

It was funny... hilarious even.
hexogen
Posted: February 21, 2009 11:39:09 AM

42 wrote:
hexogen wrote:
42 wrote:
walk wrote:

lmao

Was that funny?

Interesting

Posted: February 21, 2009 1:39:37 PM

hexogen wrote:
42 wrote:
hexogen wrote:
42 wrote:
walk wrote:

lmao

Was that funny?

Interesting

I agree

Scwol
Posted: February 21, 2009 2:15:53 PM

Environmental Engineering? Most expanding field...
hexogen
Posted: February 21, 2009 2:20:07 PM

Scwol wrote:
Environmental Engineering? Most expanding field...

I'd say ECE, petroleum/mining, and chemical are the highest paid.

walk
Posted: February 21, 2009 3:34:34 PM

cng wrote:
walk wrote:

wouldn't you be sort of tied down in terms of where you have to work, such as the Prairies (not saying there's anything wrong, but if it's true than you'd just be restricted a bit).

the OP didn't ask for best location, he asked for best paying and in the most demand. Obviously you'll be working in areas where there is oil in the world. In Canada that will be out west and up north. Location sucks, but because it's so remote, you'll most likely make a few more dollars because of it.
walk
Posted: February 21, 2009 3:35:53 PM

42 wrote:
walk wrote:

lmao

nothing to contribute, gtfo
Posted: February 21, 2009 3:42:17 PM

walk wrote:
42 wrote:
walk wrote:

lmao

nothing to contribute, gtfo

How about this: ep II III are good
maplesyrup23
Posted: February 21, 2009 3:59:08 PM

What about engineering physics? What are the job prospects for careers in that field? I googled for about an hour and there was minimal info about it on the web.

Click Me!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later. - Mitch Hedberg

CRAZYBUBBA
Posted: February 21, 2009 8:54:30 PM

maplesyrup23 wrote:
What about engineering physics? What are the job prospects for careers in that field?

All the engphys and apple math kids at queen's (that I know) are in grad school. I think that those disciplines attract more academically inclined students.

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens.- Carl Jung
karla
Posted: February 21, 2009 9:37:36 PM

Yeah usually when you are working in petroleum, you get a really sweet salary and because the location is usually so crappy your company usually provides accomodations and what not. So free place to stay while getting paid a boatload.
maplesyrup23
Posted: February 22, 2009 11:03:03 AM

CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
maplesyrup23 wrote:
What about engineering physics? What are the job prospects for careers in that field?

All the engphys and apple math kids at queen's (that I know) are in grad school. I think that those disciplines attract more academically inclined students.

Does that mean that those in engphy/engsci don't have the option of getting a job in a firm/industry etc? Or are the jobs in engphy very low (ordinary jobs)?

Click Me!

maplesyrup23
Posted: February 22, 2009 11:05:22 AM

karla wrote:
Yeah usually when you are working in petroleum, you get a really sweet salary and because the location is usually so crappy your company usually provides accomodations and what not. So free place to stay while getting paid a boatload.

That honestly doesn't sound too bad, you don't have to pay rent and you get a large paycheck. If I'm not mistaken only UofA and UBC offer undergrad degrees in petroleum, corect? How is the competition for the same program for the two universities I mentioned?

Click Me!

hexogen
Posted: February 22, 2009 12:08:01 PM

maplesyrup23 wrote:
karla wrote:

That honestly doesn't sound too bad, you don't have to pay rent and you get a large paycheck. If I'm not mistaken only UofA and UBC offer undergrad degrees in petroleum, corect? How is the competition for the same program for the two universities I mentioned?

Dalhousie, UofA, UofC, Memorial(oil and gas)