We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

What type of jobs can I get with a BSc? Options
Soul
Posted: November 2, 2008 11:23:17 PM
Groups: Member

Hi, I'm a first year student at UofT, and I'm having MAJOR doubts about going into Science. Everyone (i.e. my friends) are telling me that it's much easier to find a job if you're in Business. Soo I really don't know..

Right now I'm signed up as:
Bachelor of Science > Integrative Biology

1. Can I immediately enter certain job positions? If so, which?
2. Is it easy to find jobs? [versus having a BBA]

or Should further my education? College? Grad school? Med school? etc.
qwertqwert
Posted: November 2, 2008 11:30:40 PM

Lots of people have Bachelor's degrees nowadays. In general unless you have a professional degree (such as Engineering) it will be more difficult for you to find a job. Many science students go on to Masters studies for this very reason.

Meatball Engineering '12
能ある鷹は爪を隠す
Future Eng
Posted: November 3, 2008 4:12:28 AM

It is super tough to get a job with a BSc. Many are lab techs.

If it is a job you want business is the way to go or if you can med school.
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: November 3, 2008 10:38:07 AM

All bachelor's degrees other than engineering are not going to get you very far. Business is probably second best, but even business grads are becoming a dime-a-dozen. You really need something to set you apart from the rest, e.g. a MBA, PhD, professional designation, MD... even an MA or MSc won't get you much further than a BA or BSc.

Because I've always had an interest in business, I made sure that I could also get into a MBA program if I wanted to. The great thing is that MBA programs don't require BBAs. You can get in with a science degree; in fact, it might set you apart after you have your MBA and are looking for a job.

And there are so many other post-undergrad programs you can go into with a BSc... pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary, optometry, audiology, physiotherapy, public health, regulatory affairs, and several others that I can't think of right now.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
Kaylya
Posted: November 3, 2008 10:57:26 AM

Computer Science would get you a job as well. Most health care careers are pretty good as well, although a lot of those are from 2nd entry programs, not all are (and some you can get into through college level stuff).

My friend in Geology says there's lots of jobs for that as well, particularly if you're willing to relocate up north - then again, she's currently doing a Master's. My friend who got a MSc. in Environmental Science now has a job with Environment Canada, but it took her about a year. My BF's sister got a job quickly with Stats Canada with her Math degree. That being said, if you're at all interested in potentially working for the Federal government, do co-op and get a co-op job with the government, it's SO much easier for them to hire you that way. Note that I'm somewhat skewed towards knowing what's there in government jobs having grown up in Ottawa with two parents who worked for it and living there now and knowing lots of people who work for it as well.

But I do agree that a lot of science programs aren't going to get you that far, since a lot of people do those sorts of degrees and there's only so many jobs to go around.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
Macgirl
Posted: November 3, 2008 11:15:55 AM

Soul wrote:
Hi, I'm a first year student at UofT, and I'm having MAJOR doubts about going into Science. Everyone (i.e. my friends) are telling me that it's much easier to find a job if you're in Business. Soo I really don't know..

Right now I'm signed up as:
Bachelor of Science > Integrative Biology

1. Can I immediately enter certain job positions? If so, which?
2. Is it easy to find jobs? [versus having a BBA]

or Should further my education? College? Grad school? Med school? etc.

It depends on what you want to do as your career.

With a BSc there are plenty of lab jobs available, and some 'research' jobs with the government of Canada. There are lots of management opportunities too though-especially in the health care field. Many nursing homes, etc just require a BSc to be a supervisor, and you usually start at around $50 000/year. With a university degree in general you can walk into a management position in a variety of fields, it just might not be entirely relevant to what you went through school for. If you pick up some psych classes or do a minor in psych you could walk into many human resources positions for a variety of companies.

However, if you want a job dealing with biology, you will more than likely have to continue with a masters/PhD as a BSc won't be competitive with the other people applying for the limited number of positions. There's always exceptions to that though! I have a few friends that have now graduated from Mac with a BSc in either biology or chemistry and they have some sweet government jobs smile

4th Year Mac Science Student.
Mac NDP VP
McMaster Non Partisan Society President (and Founder)
Support my campaign- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=154743746530&ref=nf
Lets get a student elected-anything is possible!
Soul
Posted: November 3, 2008 12:27:24 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly.
The thing is . . . I don't want to spent all of my time in school and build up debts worry
But everyone tells me that a BSc is useless! D: If I were to go for a Masters..
What type of government jobs? How would you set out to apply for these positions? What is the pay rate? bounce
karla
Posted: November 3, 2008 9:06:11 PM

Soul wrote:
Thanks for responding so quickly.
The thing is . . . I don't want to spent all of my time in school and build up debts worry
But everyone tells me that a BSc is useless! D: If I were to go for a Masters..
What type of government jobs? How would you set out to apply for these positions? What is the pay rate? bounce

I'm fairly certain that government jobs pay pretty well. And the longer you work there the higher your salary goes. Plus you get great benefits and stuff like that