We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Passing your G2 Options
Gibran
Posted: August 27, 2008 4:46:43 PM

Groups: Member

Hey Everyone.

Iam looking to get my G2 soon maybe this week. Any tips, suggestions that are not obvious (ie. fasten your seat belt. lol) from previous G2 drivers who were successful...and even those who were not.

Iam sure we can all benefit.

UWO Political Science and Philosophy 2012 -> JD from Western Law
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance"
Socrates

Terrios
Posted: August 27, 2008 4:53:21 PM

Be calm, practice as much as you can and make sure to look around frequently

WLU Honours Business Administration 2013
Mullins
Posted: August 27, 2008 4:55:12 PM

Practice your three-point-turns and parallel parking, and make sure you check your mirrors A LOT. They really pay attention to that kind of thing (in my experience, anyway).
Don't go over the speed limit at all.
Always check your blind spot when changing lanes...

Basically, don't break any laws and use what you learned in driver's ed and you should be fine.

Don't panic. If you mess up your parallel park the first time, just tell them you'll start again, and then redo it. I did it, and I still passed.

Good luck!
alevap
Posted: August 27, 2008 4:57:06 PM

Exaggerate all your movements so the instructor reallllly notices. Wear large earrings so he can hear when you move your head from side to side, etc.
Gibran
Posted: August 27, 2008 5:02:52 PM

alevap wrote:
Exaggerate all your movements so the instructor reallllly notices. Wear large earrings so he can hear when you move your head from side to side, etc.

lol.... thanks for the advice. I'll take that to heart!

UWO Political Science and Philosophy 2012 -> JD from Western Law
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance"
Socrates

changturkey
Posted: August 27, 2008 7:29:43 PM

Don't drive too slow like I did, and just yeah make sure to check mirrors, blind spots, practice maneuvers that you aren't too good at before hand, and make sure you keep your cool. Make sure to look at the signs on the road, and just don't do anything stupid. I believe the tester makes sure they give you good notice before making turns at intersections, but I kinda forget.
Ooosh
Posted: August 27, 2008 7:44:14 PM

- They will only mark you on parallel parking or backing into a parking space
- When you turn left onto a street with more than one lane going that direction, move over to the farthest right lane
- Do not go through yellow lights
- When entering the intersection to make a left turn, do not crowd, let the car turn left in front of you first before you entre
- Have your hand over the horn if someone gets too close, you do not have to press it, just show the examiner you see what is going on
- Exaggerate looking over your shoulder
- Put the passenger seat back as far as you can, and lean it back a little so the examiner can see what you are doing better
- Most examiners are a little cold, they will make you seem like you failed, unless you do something major you probably won't, for example I did not do a good parallel park and passed with "flying colours"

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

This_face
Posted: August 27, 2008 8:59:46 PM

Terrios wrote:
Be calm, practice as much as you can and make sure to look around frequently

Best advice you can get for sure. As long as you follow the laws and do like Terrios and everyone else said you'll be good. Just stay calm, tell yourself what to do and don't be afraid to tell the intructor what you are doing as you do it. Also, don't wear sunglasses, that way the tester can see your eyes and all. If they are looking towards you it probably means they are looking to see if you are looking. For example, when you go through any intersection look, even if you have the right of way. Oh and use your emergency break when parking, if you took drivers ed or if your parents or however showed you have to drive were on the ball you should know this. Good luck. If you fail, find out why you did and calmy find out how to improve. Then get out there and improve and have someone make you feel better about it all so you can get back into the test and pass.
Miss
Posted: August 27, 2008 9:55:04 PM

use your common sense. if u need to switch lanes to turn and there's a car in the way, either speed up if there's enough space, or slow down to get in behind the car. and yeah, stay calm! lol my driving instructor gave me a piece of gum to chew on, and it really actually helped lol (i just passed mine last friday too! razz)
good luck!!!

Queen's Engineering 2012
Posted: August 27, 2008 10:32:24 PM

along with what has been said, be confident. look like you know what you are doing (assuming you actually do know).

and if you want to avoid a reverse park. go into the parking spot forward b4 your test. when you start your instructor will already see you backing out. make sure your head and tail lights work, they do actually check them.

UWO Biomed/Ivey '12
Flag
Posted: August 27, 2008 10:52:06 PM

Sorry, the reverse park trick does not work unless your driving instructor is a cheat. I'd recommend going in to a drive through parking spot when you go- it's safer to drive out than backing out, and it's one less back up you have to do with the instructor in the car with you.

1) Go in confident, but not overconfident. Nervousness will be noted as a sign you aren't ready to drive on a daily basis, but cockiness is far worse.
2) Don't do the tell-tail nervous signs, such as tell the instructor that you're nervous, or straighten your hair or clothing a lot.
3) Don't focus so much on the road that you miss other important things, such as speed reduction or railway crossing signs.
4) Look both ways at an intersection even if you have the right of way.
5) LISTEN to your examinor! They do NOT like repeating themselves again and again- it can be taken as a sign of innattention or inability to multitask.
6) Check your mirrors REGULARLY!
7) Stop at the right place at intersections- maybe it's okay to sit with your tire on the white line while you're driving around yourself- not so okay when there is a driving examiner in the car!
8) Put on your seatbelt BEFORE you start the car.
9) Drive slightly below the speed limit, never over. Break the law and you almost instantly fail.
10) CAR RADIO IS OFF! Not low, not barely audible, OFF!
11) Don't be too cautious!

Hmm. You might want to raise your inside mirror a bit so that you really have to crane your neck to get a look- makes it more obvious to the instructor if you forget to emphasise your movements. Lower your passenger mirror a bit so you'll have a better look at the curb. ALWAYS check your blind spot, check your inside mirror before you brake, while pulling away from a stop sign, etc. Don't bump the curb- thats minus four points if you're lucky enough not to fail. Remember your parking brake.

Mostly, don't sweat it. Driving examiners have had all kinds- maybe the kid before you was a total dunce who nearly drove into a building and you'll look like a pro- you never know.

Hope that's a bit of a help.

zackboomer wrote:
I don't think I could keep it up IRL either

Ooosh
Posted: August 27, 2008 11:16:08 PM

Flag wrote:
Sorry, the reverse park trick does not work unless your driving instructor is a cheat. I'd recommend going in to a drive through parking spot when you go- it's safer to drive out than backing out, and it's one less back up you have to do with the instructor in the car with you.

Depends on where you do your test, Metro East in Toronto makes you park facing the fence so you have to back out, then they make you parallel/three-point/uphill park and head back to the testing centre and have you drive into the parking space again.

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

izz
Posted: August 28, 2008 4:04:10 AM

I JUST did my test, thankfully I passed, and here is my advice.

1) Look around A LOT. If you look and they don't see it, you never really looked; in other words, you fail. Look all the time, while you're driving, WHILE YOU'RE GOING THROUGH GREEN LIGHTS, that's right...they want you to look both sides even during a green. During Railroad tracks, etc etc.

2) If the instructor says something negative, like most of them do, ignore it and move on. The thing is, they make you seem like you failed, for example...when I was leaving after doing a parallel park I forgot to put my emergency brake back down and he (condescendingly) said to me: "wow, you gonna push that back down or what?"

3) Stay on the right of the road as much as you can, they docked me a TON of points during my test for being in the left lane too much.

4) Know which way your tires point on a hill, for example, downwards, upwards, etc...my examiner actually asked me and, like a jerk said "don't just tell me, DO IT".

&

5) Did I mention to LOOK AROUND? It's worth mentioning again. The #1 reason people fail is 'failure to observe' - here is the criteria they mark you on, each time you make a mistake it's worth 4 points, 30 points and you're done.

Quote:
1. START
Unable to locate/adjust/operate safety devices
Fails to observe/uses mirrors only
Fails to signal/improper signal
Incorrect use of: clutch/brake/accelerator/gears/steering

2. BACKING
Fails to look around/to rear before/while backing - mirror only
Turnabout: control/steering method/observation/vehicle position

3. DRIVING ALONG
Follows or passes too closely/cuts in too soon
Improper choice of lane/straddles lane/unmarked roadway
Fails to check blindspot/observe properly
Lane change signal: wrong/early/late/not given/not cancelled
Right of way observance: ped./self/other vehicles
Fails to use caution or obey: ped. cross-overs/school crossing/emerg. veh.
Speed: too fast/slow for conditions/impedes traffic

4. INTERSECTIONS / R.R. CROSSING
Fails to observe properly/controlled/uncontrolled intersections
Fails to obey signs or signals/pavement markings
Late in slowing/stopping/slows too soon
Stopping position: too soon or blocks crosswalk/intersection
Right of way observance: ped./self/other vehicle

5. TURNS
Signalling: wrong/early/late/not given/not cancelled
Fails to get in proper position/lane
late into lane/late into position
Right of way observance: ped./self/other vehicle
Turns too wide - enters wrong lane
Cuts corner - enters wrong lane
Steering: method/control/recovery
Speed: too fast/too slow/enter/leave/impedes

6. PARKING
Fails to observe - uses mirror only/backing/leaving
Hits: objects/other vehicles or climbs curb
Incorrect vehicle position
Fails to signal when leaving/incorrect signal

7. STOP, PARK, AND START ON A GRADE
Fails to observe properly/uses mirrors only/and/or signal before leaving
Rolls back when parking or starting
Fails to angle wheels properly
Fails to set parking brake/select proper gear

Hope that helps smile

Ooosh wrote:
- When you turn left onto a street with more than one lane going that direction, move over to the farthest right lane

Sorry, this is incorrect, it's actually to the lane farthest to the left (in that direction). What if you're going from a 4-way to a 4-way and you're turning left and another car, from across you, is turning right? Here is an illustration:

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/3479/clipboard01oj3.jpg
Dark Blue = Correct
Light Blue = Incorrect
Red = Other Car

Quote:

Agreed...however, you do not want to make an abrupt stop. In other words, if you're going 50 mph and you're 3 feet away from the line (which, if you go across you fail) and then make a stop, the examiner may just break their head on the windshield...you'll probably fail in that case ;)

Quote:
- Have your hand over the horn if someone gets too close, you do not have to press it, just show the examiner you see what is going on
- Exaggerate looking over your shoulder
- Put the passenger seat back as far as you can, and lean it back a little so the examiner can see what you are doing better
- Most examiners are a little cold, they will make you seem like you failed, unless you do something major you probably won't, for example I did not do a good parallel park and passed with "flying colours"

Good advice!
Flag
Posted: August 28, 2008 8:41:44 AM

izz wrote:
Ooosh wrote:

Sorry, this is incorrect, it's actually to the lane farthest to the left (in that direction).

No, it's correct. You move over to the farthest right lane as soon as you can. You should be in the lane as far away from the middle of the road as often as you can be.

zackboomer wrote:

Ooosh
Posted: August 28, 2008 8:43:54 AM

Ooosh wrote:

Quote:
Sorry, this is incorrect, it's actually to the lane farthest to the left (in that direction). What if you're going from a 4-way to a 4-way and you're turning left and another car, from across you, is turning right?

You obviously misunderstood what I said, I just did my test as well.
MOVE over to the farthest right lane, meaning that AFTER you turn into the correct lane, lane change over. Simple. Like you said you got docked marks for not doing so.

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

Ooosh
Posted: August 28, 2008 8:46:51 AM

Quote:

Agreed...however, you do not want to make an abrupt stop. In other words, if you're going 50 mph and you're 3 feet away from the line (which, if you go across you fail) and then make a stop, the examiner may just break their head on the windshield...you'll probably fail in that case ;)

They have these nifty little countdowns in Toronto now, they are for the pedestrians, people going for their G2 should pay attention to them during the test if they are on the streets they are tested on.

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

Flag
Posted: August 28, 2008 11:32:13 AM

But not everyone takes their test in Toronto.

zackboomer wrote:

Ooosh
Posted: August 28, 2008 12:54:37 PM

Flag wrote:
But not everyone takes their test in Toronto.

That is why I decided to make myself clear.

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

Flag
Posted: August 28, 2008 3:52:29 PM

Yeah, I misread what you said, my bad.

zackboomer wrote:

cypherchyk
Posted: August 29, 2008 1:11:29 AM

- Don't drive under or over 50km/h or w/e the speed limit is...
- Don't panic and ALWAYS check your mirrors and blindspots
- Remember that a STOP SIGN is a 3sec long stop
- Know how to 3 point and parallel park
- Know how to do an emergency stop (I forgot to put my e-brake up on my G frown )
- Make sure your e-brake isnt on the whole time your driving ( LOL I know I knew someone who actually did that)
- Relax!