We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

ODSP and OSAP Options
Serenia_Saissa
Posted: July 24, 2008 9:26:27 AM
Groups: Member

Hi there. I'm a mature student (been out of school for over 20 years) and am now going back to school - in fact classes have already started. My husband is on ODSP, but I am applying for OSAP for the first time. I am totally new to all this. I applied for OSAP 3 weeks ago, and classes started on July 14th. (past of the 2007-2008 years, not the 2008-2009 years)

The OSAP website says there is a discrepancy between what my spouse received and what the CRA says he received last year.

Now my husbands income usually changes every month depending on what I earned or recieved two months before. I was on EI for half of last year and a few months of this year. EI of course is taken off the ODSP dollar for dollar. And last year there were several times when we received overpayments because ODSP did not calculate the income properly. On our tax income forms, I claim everything, including his "social assistance", and all he claims is the child tax benefits because he gets those payments, not me.

I have not yet signed any "Confirmation of enrollment" form. I will be making an appointment to see the financial officer next week in order to do this. The OSAP website also says they have not received a copy of my marriage certificate. I gave the financial officer a copy of this certificate 3 weeks ago when I was applying.

So should I be panicking? I included a letter in the application to not pay me the living expenses (those are paid for by ODSP). I also need the money in a hurry becaise if I dont get the transportation allowance, then I wont be able to travel to School every day. One more thing - the transportation allowance on the summary form says $810. It costs a lot more than that for 13 months of metro passes in Toronto. It costs $1300. So this $810 is kind of useless.

So anyone have any advice of anything I can do to find out what is wrong, and what I need to do to fix things up?

Thanks

SS
Kaylya
Posted: July 24, 2008 12:16:36 PM

Call the financial aid people at your school.

With regards to the bus pass thing - I think you'll have to do two separate OSAP applications if the program runs for more than 12 months. Second, remember there's usually student passes that are cheaper than the adult passes.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
Serenia_Saissa
Posted: July 24, 2008 4:43:19 PM

In Toronto I still have to buy the adult bus passes. The school ID is recognized on the GO trains and the VIA rail for the student passes. The school I am at is NOT recognised by the TTC. And I have made an appointment to see the financial aid person next week. Cant really do much until then. Thanks.