We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Mini Fridges Options
Flag
Posted: July 29, 2008 6:06:59 PM

Groups: Member

If anyone is looking to buy a mini fridge, check out your Walmart. I was in there today and they had a 3.2 (or something very close) on sale, a 4.3 on sale, and a 5.2 on sale. They all looked good and were fairly cheap.

zackboomer wrote:
I don't think I could keep it up IRL either

fost9930
Posted: August 5, 2008 6:09:26 PM

Unless of course you go to Laurier
whereas you are not allowed your own mini-fridge and you must rent one from coldex

This is actually not a stupid way to get your money---- these fridges are designed to use less electricity --
So I'd check out your university's policy about that too eh

WLU BA Hons. Communication Studies '12
bimmer35
Posted: August 5, 2008 6:11:40 PM

Quote:
whereas you are not allowed your own mini-fridge and you must rent one from coldex

This is actually not a stupid way to get your money---- these fridges are designed to use less electricity --

Yeah, I got a coldex application form in my residence package from UTSG. So I assumed I would have to rent one from them rather than buying one.

University of Toronto 2012
Victoria College
fost9930
Posted: August 5, 2008 6:16:33 PM

bimmer35 wrote:
Quote:

This is actually not a stupid way to get your money---- these fridges are designed to use less electricity

Yeah, I got a coldex application form in my residence package from UTSG. So I assumed I would have to rent one from them rather than buying one.

Very wise decision. Bringing a fridge which is prohibited results in losing the fridge. lol

How much was your rental fee anyway? Just curious...

WLU BA Hons. Communication Studies '12
Josh
Posted: August 5, 2008 6:29:53 PM

fost9930 wrote:
bimmer35 wrote:
Quote:

This is actually not a stupid way to get your money---- these fridges are designed to use less electricity

Very wise decision. Bringing a fridge which is prohibited results in losing the fridge. lol

i also want to know how much it costs to rent. buying a decent fridge will be about $120. renting for anything over 60 doesnt really make sense

UWO Biomed/Ivey '12
bimmer35
Posted: August 5, 2008 6:55:32 PM

fost9930 wrote:

It was $85.00 for the 23"... $110.00 including the refundable deposit.

The 26" is $110.00 ($135.00) and the 33" is $120.00 ($145.00). The costs are a bit high, but what can you do if it is the only option?

Victoria College
aztekxero
Posted: August 5, 2008 9:17:54 PM

You can probably get a small fridge at Wal-Mart for under $100.

U of T Electrical Engineering 1T1
This_face
Posted: August 5, 2008 10:43:30 PM

Flag wrote:
If anyone is looking to buy a mini fridge, check out your Walmart. I was in there today and they had a 3.2 (or something very close) on sale, a 4.3 on sale, and a 5.2 on sale. They all looked good and were fairly cheap.

You know what's funny? That's the exact sale and fridge I got. Only, my dad told me it was on sale. I got a white one. I'm going to use it in my room. I will have a full size fridge to share with 5 people in total, and everyone told me getting one for my room would be useful, especially if I wanted to keep my own "special" food in there.
Ooosh
Posted: August 5, 2008 11:06:05 PM

This_face wrote:
Flag wrote:

You know what's funny? That's the exact sale and fridge I got. Only, my dad told me it was on sale. I got a white one. I'm going to use it in my room. I will have a full size fridge to share with 5 people in total, and everyone told me getting one for my room would be useful, especially if I wanted to keep my own "special" food in there.

Pot brownies? Don't lie.

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

This_face
Posted: August 5, 2008 11:13:55 PM

Ooosh wrote:
This_face wrote:
Flag wrote:

Pot brownies? Don't lie.

hahaha you got me! Can't lie lol jk naw...but it does sound like that eh? Special foods haha. "Who took my brownies this time?" lol jk
Bassoony
Posted: August 7, 2008 1:37:24 PM

Renting the fridge can seem like a hassle now, but if the service is offered to you, definitely consider it. It may not be the most cost effective way to get a fridge, but think about this: after first year if you choose not to live in residence, what are you going to do with this tiny fridge? Moving is enough of a hassle without miniature appliances, so unless you're not moving far or you really think you'll need a beer fridge, you should consider the rent option.
Stringer
Posted: August 7, 2008 2:03:22 PM

Bassoony wrote:
Renting the fridge can seem like a hassle now, but if the service is offered to you, definitely consider it. It may not be the most cost effective way to get a fridge, but think about this: after first year if you choose not to live in residence, what are you going to do with this tiny fridge? Moving is enough of a hassle without miniature appliances, so unless you're not moving far or you really think you'll need a beer fridge, you should consider the rent option.

Renting is a ripoff, at least at WLU. I would just buy a fridge and resell it after the year if I didn't want it.

-Stringer
Kaylya
Posted: August 7, 2008 5:22:08 PM

Bassoony wrote:

1st year: Shared a very tiny cube fridge with my roommate, used it very sparingly (I'd keep a thing of milk in it pretty much)

2nd year: Bought a bigger fridge - bigger mainly because that's what Walmart had in stock (Note I was in a single in residence that year). Spent I think $170 with tax

3rd & 4th year: Used said fridge for extra space when sharing off campus house with 5 people.

Sold the fridge for $100.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
Bassoony
Posted: August 12, 2008 4:43:29 PM

OK, I didn't make myself clear. The reason I would never have bought a fridge in first year is because I then would have had to have moved the thing, with all of my other belongings/clothes, across Ontario... in my van.
bimmer35
Posted: August 13, 2008 2:07:43 PM

Bassoony wrote:
OK, I didn't make myself clear. The reason I would never have bought a fridge in first year is because I then would have had to have moved the thing, with all of my other belongings/clothes, across Ontario... in my van.

If you really wanted one, you could have just bought one when you arrived. It's not like you HAVE to buy the fridge in your hometown...smile

Victoria College
This_face
Posted: August 14, 2008 4:56:36 PM

bimmer35 wrote:
Bassoony wrote:

If you really wanted one, you could have just bought one when you arrived. It's not like you HAVE to buy the fridge in your hometown...smile

Yeah, but then you might not get it on sale.
Laker12
Posted: August 14, 2008 8:05:09 PM

Nipissing rez comes with full fridge and gas stove. basketball

Nipissing 2012 GRID
Malinka
Posted: August 15, 2008 11:46:25 AM

Hey a lot of mini fridges are coming on sale now with all the back to school stuff. If you do decide you want a fridge, I'd highly recommend getting one NOW, not when school starts.
In first year I originally moved into an upper year apartment style rez, so I wasn't concerned about a mini fridge, we had 3 full size fridges. But then I transferred to a first year rez, and obviously needed a mini fridge. So off I go to the nearest place that sells fridges (Canadian Tire or Future Shop I think) to pick one up. Well they're sold out. Went to any area stores that might sell them, they're all sold out, with no stock coming in. I expanded into other towns, with no luck, until I found one in Cambridge, and it was the last one they had. Obviously it wasn't on sale or anything and I had no option on colour or size. It was that or nothing. lol.
But I do still use the fridge. I use it during the school year as extra space for food and during the summer in my basement for cold drinks and stuff. and I'll probably sell it when I'm done my undergrad.

International Development, 2010
eco
Posted: August 26, 2008 8:48:40 PM

Just got a 99$ one. Its nice, comes in white and black. 3.6 cubic feet i THINK. Good size. You could fit 6 pop cans, 5 beers, a loaf of bread, a bunch of fruits and veggies, a few bottles of water, and maybe more in there. Plus it has some small compartment that apparently must be diffferent in some way, or maybe is just more space.

Look for it at home depot.

Call a few in your city. HUGE shipments of em everywhere. The one that I was at had hundreds.
Mullins
Posted: August 27, 2008 10:00:05 AM

eco wrote:
Plus it has some small compartment that apparently must be diffferent in some way, or maybe is just more space.

Is it the freezer? Some mini fridges have sad excuses for freezers that are really just a very slightly colder plastic box inside the fridge...