We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Anyone thinking Mcgill? Options
headlights
Posted: November 25, 2010 8:10:25 PM
Groups: Member

at the present moment I'd say Mcgill Management as my first choice, and obviously being the crazy nut that i am I can't help but start daydreaming about living in residence and the incredible times to follow
is anyone else thinking Mcgill and if so have you given any thought about residence? I'd love to hear other people opinions as to what would be their preferred choices
runningwithscissors
Posted: November 25, 2010 9:48:53 PM

i would love to go to mcgill! that would be so cool
although i doubt i'd be able to get in LOL
to prestigious for me razz
Mkrh
Posted: November 25, 2010 9:55:20 PM

McGill's my number one choice. I visited at the open house and was extreeemely impressed by the hotel residence. They're basically dorms in that you share the room with a roommate but you have your own bathroom in the room rather than having one for the entire floor. The rooms are big since it was a hotel and the buildings are really nice as they were 4-star hotels.

I visited both hotel-style residences, New Res and Carrefour Sherbrooke. If you have any specific questions I can answer as best I can.
j-fo
Posted: November 26, 2010 1:52:49 PM

I'm looking at McGill (50-50 chance as my sig indicates) and would be living on campus. I've heard that the hotel res is really snobby; my friend recommended I avoid it. My top choices are RVC (formerly co-ed, apparently the closest res with the best food) and Douglas (lots of scholarship winners). Depends what you're looking for though (Molson is supposed to be a party res, while Solin is apartment-style and a ways off campus).

McGill - Linguistics & Computer science // U of T - Linguistics & Computing // UBC - Computer science & Linguistics
Queen's - Cognitive science // SFU - Computing science & Linguistics
darks0ulz
Posted: November 26, 2010 9:26:46 PM

New Res is snobby and is too far away, but they have a pretty amazing lobby. Carrefour is a alright but everyone has a roommate (they're actually like maybe a 5 min walk from campus).

I live in RVC. We have the best food on campus (they serve ribs and steak but the prices are insane) and there's nothing like waking up 5 mins before class and walking across the street to your lecture. I think RVC singles have an insane amount of shelving. Technically I think Greenbriar has a slightly better location depending on which faculty you're in. RVC is closer to the chem and math buildings whereas Greenbriar is closer to the arts buildings.

Don't choose Solin.

McGill 2014 - Anatomy and Cell Biology
x_claire
Posted: November 28, 2010 9:21:02 PM

Quote:

I live in RVC. We have the best food on campus (they serve ribs and steak but the prices are insane) and there's nothing like waking up 5 mins before class and walking across the street to your lecture. I think RVC singles have an insane amount of shelving. Technically I think Greenbriar has a slightly better location depending on which faculty you're in. RVC is closer to the chem and math buildings whereas Greenbriar is closer to the arts buildings.

Don't choose Solin.

How are you finding the social scene at RVC? I heard it used to be a pretty quiet rez when it was all girls.

Applying to (Arts):
McGill
UTSTG
Queen's
darks0ulz
Posted: December 1, 2010 2:50:37 PM

The west wing (all girls part) is pretty quiet. The co-ed side is half and half. You have the party floors and you have the dead floors. My floor is pretty awesome - everyone knows everyone and we chill in the hallways. But it's a relatively small res and you have some people who just study all day. I'd say the social scene is better in upper res but I'm too lazy to do the walk.

headlights
Posted: December 1, 2010 11:23:44 PM

question:
I know the non-hotel dorms don't provide televisions as the hotel ones do. Would it be possible/permitted to bring/buy our own television and hook it up with a dvd player in our own room? Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?
Samuel71
Posted: December 4, 2010 9:53:44 PM

I am so glad I came to McGill. Really... I can not recommend it enough. Especially if you're the type of person who likes to go out and party a lot.

As for residence: apply for a double at Greenbriar, that is the best place you can end up. After that, I'd choose one of the upper residences - Gardner and Molson especially.

McGill Engineering 2014
darks0ulz
Posted: December 4, 2010 11:51:44 PM

headlights wrote:
question:
I know the non-hotel dorms don't provide televisions as the hotel ones do. Would it be possible/permitted to bring/buy our own television and hook it up with a dvd player in our own room? Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?

One of my friends has a tv in his room (he doesn't live in C4/New res) - no one has raised an issue with that..

ronn
Posted: December 5, 2010 6:13:40 AM

I can't believe I haven't given this a serious enough thought before. If McGill accepts me I most likely will accept it no matter what (dream school is dreamy after all). razz

Does anyone have more information on the social scene of respective rez?

Applied to:
1. McGill Architecture
2. McGill Physical, Earth, Math and Computer Sciences (undeclared)
bananafloat89
Posted: December 9, 2010 7:32:13 PM

I want to go to McGill, but I'm still debating between McGill and Queens. I'm looking towards studying computer science.
Anyways, I don't know if I'd rather have the night life or school spirit worry
Exhibit_A
Posted: December 9, 2010 10:00:13 PM

Nah, I'm thinkin' Arby's.
e.sin
Posted: December 9, 2010 10:04:04 PM

Exhibit_A wrote:

+1

1. McMaster University: Health Sciences I (Honours) || [BHSc, MNS]
2. University of Toronto, St. George: Life Sciences, Neuroscience || [BSc, TLG]
3. University of Toronto, St. George: Engineering Science, Biomedical Sciences || [BSc, TK]
j-fo
Posted: December 9, 2010 10:26:43 PM

bananafloat89 wrote:
I want to go to McGill, but I'm still debating between McGill and Queens. I'm looking towards studying computer science.

Samesies. basketball

e.sin wrote:
Exhibit_A wrote:

+1

+2

McGill - Linguistics & Computer science // U of T - Linguistics & Computing // UBC - Computer science & Linguistics
x_claire
Posted: December 10, 2010 4:07:44 PM

Exhibit_A wrote:

cheers I work there

Applying to (Arts):
McGill
UTSTG
Queen's
Exhibit_A
Posted: December 13, 2010 1:14:46 AM

x_claire wrote:
Exhibit_A wrote:

cheers I work there

Haha nice.
tmlnr
Posted: December 17, 2010 7:54:53 PM

I am in molson hall, and I have to say its the most ridiculous thing ever, it has a well earned reputation of being a party rez. If you have to study you go to the library, or the study room. Disadvantage is that BMH food sucks, but RVC is on our meal plan so you can eat most meals there.

McGill Class of 2014: Education (Majoring in physical education)
juls
Posted: December 19, 2010 3:51:12 AM

yay mcgill i wanna get into one of the hotel residences but do NOT want to have a roommate. dilemma!
j-fo
Posted: December 19, 2010 1:46:56 PM

I'd be stoked on a single, but I don't want to be in any of the "party" residences.