We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

OSAP Deadline Options
lebron23
Posted: June 11, 2008 7:24:42 PM
Groups: Member

Is there a deadline to apply for OSAP or is it that 10 week thing... also is
there a deadline for applying to QEII
Tasha
Posted: June 11, 2008 8:58:40 PM

OSAP Deadline: https://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/App_deadline_123.htm

Supporting Documents Deadline: https://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/App_suppdoc_deadline_123.htm

QEII Deadline: Apply by June 20

I'm not going to get the QEII. My dad's book keeper is on holiday until July 2 and the income tax return she sent us is missing a page. There are two lines on that page I need for the OSAP app and I won't be able to get them until she comes back. So, yeah, that really sucks. Big time. I coulda used that money.

Honours English Major/History Minor, York '12
Stong Rez
Redrose27
Posted: June 15, 2008 5:37:25 PM

so we have until june 20 to apply for QEII. if we're starting school on sept. 2nd, does that mean we have to apply for osap by around the same deadline too? and what's that june 16 deadline everyone's been saying?
Kaylya
Posted: June 15, 2008 8:30:38 PM

Redrose27 wrote:
so we have until june 20 to apply for QEII. if we're starting school on sept. 2nd, does that mean we have to apply for osap by around the same deadline too? and what's that june 16 deadline everyone's been saying?

OSAP suggests that you apply about 10 weeks before the start of your program in order to ensure you get your money on time. The only formal deadline is after the start of classes though - but the later you apply the later you'll get your money.

The other thing - and I don't know if this applies to first years or not, or if other schools have the same sort of policy, but I got an e-mail from Ottawa pointing out their policy for the grace period on paying tuition if you've applied for government loans by June 30th.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
Redrose27
Posted: June 15, 2008 9:33:40 PM

what happens if you switch programs after you've submitted your osap app and the deadline has passed? for instance, say you submit an app for University A program A and get some money, but then you switch in july to University A Program B or University B Program A? Do you have to resubmit another app/can you submit another app? or will they just consider it the same as the first program if the costs associated are the same? (e.g. if going into a science program at uwo will have no more costs associated or scholarships given than going into arts at the same university)? Or, will they just not give you any money at all?

PS on another note, in the parts where they ask you to mention how much income you have between jan 2008 and dec 2008, what if you don't think you will make any money in that meantime? they say that if you write anything less than 6200 you have to give a detailed explanation of why and how you will meet all your needs. i first thought i'd write my scholarships in (for year one they total 8000 but in upper years it'll only be 4000 a year) but there was a separate box for scholarships. i don't predict i'll make any income in that time period and if i do get a job i doubt i'd make more than 2000---i would have written my scholarships as explanation but they have a separate spot for that so what should i do?
dansflObtch
Posted: June 15, 2008 11:57:52 PM

They just want to know why. It's the same form for everyone.

This happened to me one year. I did in fact make less than 6200- although not by much. Even now, in order to keep full OSAP coming in to pay for my tuition I try to make 12500 or less. Sad living off school loans! but I can't afford to PAY for school and BE IN school so that's life. It's fun trying to run the whole show yourself!

I'm going to assume that you're young and live with your parents where you don't pay rent. right? So you just write a cute litte paragragh about your parents support you so that you can focus on your studies. If you worked a summer job you can put that you did that for spending money. If you are within 4 years of being out of high school you are still considered dependend financially on your parents (as far as OSAP are concerned anyway). That's one of the reasons I waited to go back to school until I was 24 after dropped out of College the first time. I dropped out, and my parents said "ya- now you pay it!" I had no choice.

For me- it came down to the fact that I fell into the "independent" (4 years out of highschool) category where I'm not dependent on my parents. I had living expenses and made NO money. So they were wondering how I lived? I had to kind of map out how i survived so that they could understand that I wasn't lying. It's not like they wouldn't find out anyway, but it's just a statement.

In the end- they gave me a 3000 bursary I didn't have to pay back!

So don't worry about it. It's a standard question- lucky for you ... you don't really have much to explain.

Child and Youth Worker Graduate
Kaylya
Posted: June 16, 2008 9:54:41 AM

Question 1: If you are still unsure about which program, you can submit 2 (or more) applications.

Question 2: I believe the $6200 question applies to those who are applying for OSAP as an independent only. Double check that.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
dansflObtch
Posted: June 17, 2008 12:06:35 AM

Kaylya wrote:

Question 1: If you are still unsure about which program, you can submit 2 (or more) applications.

Question 2: I believe the $6200 question applies to those who are applying for OSAP as an independent only. Double check that.

re: question 2 good call on that! never thought of that actually.....

Child and Youth Worker Graduate