We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Nursing at Mohawk-McMaster Options
angel.
Posted: November 5, 2010 7:59:10 PM
Groups: Member

heyy big grin
so i just have a few questions

im applying to ryerson, mcmaster and york for nursing
but i also really want to go to mohawk-mcmaster, but paying an additional fee to apply to a college is a really big bummer.

my question is,

if i do end up applying to mohawk-mcmaster, where exactly is the campus?
would i be going to mohawk for 2 years and then mcmaster for 2 years? which mohawk campus would it be for those 2 years?
or all 4 years at mohawk? again, which mohawk campus?
or is it at the mohawk-mcmaster institute of applied health sciences campus?

collaborative programs are really confusing to me!

as well, would you think that going the college route would be better than the university route because of the hands on experience?

any help is greatly appreciated!
thank you big grin
Gecko
Posted: November 5, 2010 10:56:24 PM

The "MOMAC" program is located at McMaster University centre. It has its own building as you said, the applied health science building were you take the "majority" of your classes..Some lectures like for instance anatomy will probably be in the McMaster buildings b/c those are large classes. You will however take you electives from mohawk..So some days out of the week you will have to go there for classes. I know a lot of ppl that are about to graduate from that program and are not happy with it. I would do your research and try and find the best school AND the best program that you think will fit you the best, bc once the workload begings..you will start to question your choice of program.

Ryerson Nursing 2014
cosstick_xx
Posted: November 6, 2010 2:18:05 PM

Gecko wrote:
The "MOMAC" program is located at McMaster University centre. It has its own building as you said, the applied health science building were you take the "majority" of your classes..Some lectures like for instance anatomy will probably be in the McMaster buildings b/c those are large classes. You will however take you electives from mohawk..So some days out of the week you will have to go there for classes. I know a lot of ppl that are about to graduate from that program and are not happy with it. I would do your research and try and find the best school AND the best program that you think will fit you the best, bc once the workload begings..you will start to question your choice of program.

isn't everything all at mohawk? i know for the mac-conestoga one everything is at conestoga for all four years.

what is your average angel? mcmaster (the straight mac) program is REALLLY hard to get into

UWO NURSING CLASS OF 2014
angel.
Posted: November 6, 2010 6:26:47 PM

Gecko wrote:

oh okay thanks for the info! its really helpful smile
just a question, do you know which mohawk campus it is?

and im fully aware of how tough the nursing program is.
7 courses is a huge workload.

do you know why they disliked the program so much?

cosstick_xx wrote:

isn't everything all at mohawk? i know for the mac-conestoga one everything is at conestoga for all four years.

what is your average angel? mcmaster (the straight mac) program is REALLLY hard to get into

i really don't think i'll be getting into mac. its just an option i'd like to have.
in grade 11, my overall average was an 83%. its not the greatest average, i know razz

id prefer going to either ryerson or momac.

Gecko
Posted: November 6, 2010 10:14:44 PM

angel. wrote:
Gecko wrote:

cosstick_xx wrote:

i really don't think i'll be getting into mac. its just an option i'd like to have.
in grade 11, my overall average was an 83%. its not the greatest average, i know razz

Im "ALMOST" positive all the classes are at the hamilton location and not the brantford one (i think thats where it is),

You also have to take into account placements and transportation, I have "heard" of some ppl in the MOMAC program have had to go all the way to grimbsy or other areas such as dundas for placements, which can make it very difficult if you dont have a personal vehicle.

Im not sure exactly as to why they dont like it, but I have heard a lot of complaints about the PBL (problem based learning) and the amount of clinical hours. Im not hyping Ryerson up bc im currently go there, but I know in the first year we do get placements in the second semester, I believe more schools are starting to do this because employers are complaing of receiving not experienced enough nurses from university.

The reason they may not like it also is because well, nursing school is ALOT of work, and by the 4th year, you will want to be done too as I will, so i dont know if its just distaste of wanting to be done..or actually not liking the program.
I also remember last year the COMAC and MOMAC student started a petition about something within the program, and started a whole FB group about it. Im not sure exactly what. and again, im basing all this information on things I have heard. Most information i get is from my g/f who is currently in 4th year of the MOMAC program, and a friend who is in 4th year at the COMAC program.

If you want to look into information on ryerson (you said you were applying there, I believe there is a thread with some information about it)

Im fairly new to the program, so I probably wouldent be "AS" much help as other senior student on here.

Ryerson Nursing 2014
angel.
Posted: November 7, 2010 11:55:58 PM

Gecko wrote:

Im "ALMOST" positive all the classes are at the hamilton location and not the brantford one (i think thats where it is),

okay, thanks big grin
i guess it would make sense for it to be int he hamilton one razz

Gecko wrote:

You also have to take into account placements and transportation, I have "heard" of some ppl in the MOMAC program have had to go all the way to grimbsy or other areas such as dundas for placements, which can make it very difficult if you dont have a personal vehicle.

do you get choices for placements?
or is it a "you're going here, and thats that" type thing.

Gecko wrote:

Im not sure exactly as to why they dont like it, but I have heard a lot of complaints about the PBL (problem based learning) and the amount of clinical hours. Im not hyping Ryerson up bc im currently go there, but I know in the first year we do get placements in the second semester, I believe more schools are starting to do this because employers are complaing of receiving not experienced enough nurses from university.

The reason they may not like it also is because well, nursing school is ALOT of work, and by the 4th year, you will want to be done too as I will, so i dont know if its just distaste of wanting to be done..or actually not liking the program.
I also remember last year the COMAC and MOMAC student started a petition about something within the program, and started a whole FB group about it. Im not sure exactly what. and again, im basing all this information on things I have heard. Most information i get is from my g/f who is currently in 4th year of the MOMAC program, and a friend who is in 4th year at the COMAC program.

If you want to look into information on ryerson (you said you were applying there, I believe there is a thread with some information about it)

Im fairly new to the program, so I probably wouldent be "AS" much help as other senior student on here.

oh, so you're a ryerson student for nursing?
hows the program?
are you liking it so far?

and do you know what the differences are between co-op and placements?

sorry, im like bombarding you with questions razz
cosstick_xx
Posted: November 9, 2010 9:53:53 AM

angel. wrote:
Gecko wrote:

cosstick_xx wrote:

i know people who got rejected from ryerson with 89, just saying. it all depends when they look atyour applicatio, sometimes they admit too many lower averrages at the beginning then its very hard to get in if they look at your application after

Gecko
Posted: November 9, 2010 2:39:36 PM

angel. wrote:
Gecko wrote:

okay, thanks big grin
i guess it would make sense for it to be int he hamilton one razz

Gecko wrote:

do you get choices for placements?
or is it a "you're going here, and thats that" type thing.

Gecko wrote:

oh, so you're a ryerson student for nursing?
hows the program?
are you liking it so far?

and do you know what the differences are between co-op and placements?

sorry, im like bombarding you with questions razz

Yes, I am a ryerson nursing student

all of the programs are VERY similar, the usually all have the same required book and learn pretty much the same thing,

As for ryerson, well, the thing that ryerson lacks the "Campus life" you wont really achieve that here, we are in the heart of the city. However, this can be an advantage, we work very closely with all the downtown and GTA hospitals, so between york, UofT and Ryerson/GBC/CC, so we kind of get "first dibs" i guess...
Its fun going out to lunch downtown with friends between classes. There is endless places to go and ALWAYS something going on.

The professors are really great, ALL of my profs have a PhD, so if you hear that Ryerson is a third rate university and only has profs with their masters they are wrong,

Ryerson has come a long way within the last 10yrs. Its a solid program,

As of right now (in week 10) of fall semester, the workload is very rigorous as with all nursing programs across canada.

The difference between a COOP and a placements "i think" is:

COOPS run as like "On the job training" but for "most" university programs you need to take an extra year like in engineering you would be placed within a company to work for them..I think you get paid also...
, i dont think they apply to the nursing programs,
i havent heard of it at least....
Placements is where the placement office puts your to gain hands on experience during the semesters...placements are tough, theres around 200plus students in the ryerson program plus the other years PLUS all the other schools competing for positions, so i dont know how that really works...

There are a lot of "mature" students in the program, (including me), ppl with degrees, ppl who came from work, transfering programs etc...so there is a large degree of diversity within the program which is good bc it allows you to learn...

I dont know how the admission works to be honest..I know ppl that got in with like 85 averages, BUT they also offered other experience bc they are mature student, AND they went back to adult ed or something so it can be hard to compete with that..as for highschool, im not sure,

Ryerson Nursing 2014
cosstick_xx
Posted: November 9, 2010 5:09:59 PM

My program is also a lot of mature students. I came right from high school, but I don't know many else that are from high school.

angel.
Posted: November 12, 2010 10:12:02 AM

thank you guys so much for the input big grin
you've answered all the questions i have so far smile

i really appreciate it !
thaanks <3
chucklez_1
Posted: November 13, 2010 3:50:00 AM

Gecko wrote:

Yes, I am a ryerson nursing student

all of the programs are VERY similar, the usually all have the same required book and learn pretty much the same thing,

As for ryerson, well, the thing that ryerson lacks the "Campus life" you wont really achieve that here, we are in the heart of the city. However, this can be an advantage, we work very closely with all the downtown and GTA hospitals, so between york, UofT and Ryerson/GBC/CC, so we kind of get "first dibs" i guess...
Its fun going out to lunch downtown with friends between classes. There is endless places to go and ALWAYS something going on.

The professors are really great, ALL of my profs have a PhD, so if you hear that Ryerson is a third rate university and only has profs with their masters they are wrong,

Ryerson has come a long way within the last 10yrs. Its a solid program,

As of right now (in week 10) of fall semester, the workload is very rigorous as with all nursing programs across canada.

There are a lot of "mature" students in the program, (including me), ppl with degrees, ppl who came from work, transfering programs etc...so there is a large degree of diversity within the program which is good bc it allows you to learn...

I dont know how the admission works to be honest..I know ppl that got in with like 85 averages, BUT they also offered other experience bc they are mature student, AND they went back to adult ed or something so it can be hard to compete with that..as for highschool, im not sure,

Intense, as in INTENSE! It doesn't help either if you have a social life and a job. It must suck for Ryerson students with the 7 course workload but at least you get to have summer vacations smile

Same here as well...a lot of mature students. I thought it was just my school.
Gecko
Posted: November 14, 2010 1:15:28 AM

^^HaHA! ya I actually ended up dropping my elective, I plan on doing two electives over the summer to ease the work load for secon year. Two clinical days a week plus 6 courses can be too much! and with patho-physiology being in there too, im trying to get as much as I can during the summer

Ryerson Nursing 2014
chucklez_1
Posted: November 16, 2010 10:00:50 AM

Gecko wrote:
^^HaHA! ya I actually ended up dropping my elective, I plan on doing two electives over the summer to ease the work load for secon year. Two clinical days a week plus 6 courses can be too much! and with patho-physiology being in there too, im trying to get as much as I can during the summer

Yeah. The fact that you have to drop the program and get left behind by a year if you fail a core course doesn't help at all lol. Bio at humber/unb is a lot easier though (a LOT) but it's the tutorial/lab that really kills you. I can't remember how many times I've thrown my lab manuals at the wall. It's NOT FUN finishing 50+ pages of work for 8+ hours each lab.