We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

UofT St. George Life Science Student - Ask your questions! Options
witeout
Posted: October 26, 2010 12:47:18 AM
Groups: Member

Hey guys,

I'm a first year UofT Life Sci student. Last year, I was in your shoes and needed to pick a university to attend. After some crushed dreams (not making it into an ivy school razz), I decided to attend the top school in Canada.

Now, I've been in school for a couple months, and have a good feeling of how this program is like, the difficulty, what to expect, and what to avoid. I've written three midterms (Organic chem, Biology, and Economics) so I can understand the way students here are tested.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask... I'll update this post regularly!

Some questions I had asked before coming to UofT:

Q: How hard is UofT?
A: How much common sense do you have? Literally, if you put in alot of work, and have common sense... you're bound to succeed. If you believe you have what it takes, UofT is for you. Tests aren't designed to spoon feed you. UofT is known to be more challenging than other universities because we are elitist jerks. If you pick a world class institution, expect heavy weeding.

Q: Why should I go to UofT?
A: You're going to be instructed by the very best from first year. UofT (McGill fits here too) is one of the best schools in the world (ranked 17th I believe). You're going to be instructed by world class professors who are experienced and know what they're talking about.

Q: Will attending UofT give me any advantage for getting into med school?
A: I wouldn't know, I'm one of the few that do not want to go to med school. I can probably assure you that school choice has no impact on med school admissions. There are at least 100 000 students a year who want to go into med school. Good luck!

Q: How large are classes?
A: My largest class is biology. It takes place in Con Hall and the building was PACKED on the day of the first lecture. Earlier this week, there were about 200 - 300 empty seats.

Q: What subjects do I take first year?
A: Bio (Ecology and Cellular Biology), Chem (Organic and Physical), and Calculus. There is only 1 difficulty level of biology, and 1 difficulty level of chemistry. Calculus has three difficulty levels. You pick the one you go into based on ego. I'm in the basic one. You have room for two electives.

Q: Commute or Rez?
A: Is that a serious question? Residence defines college life. If you can't afford it, take a student loan... ten thousand dollars won't take you an eternity to pay off once you have a job. If you are worried about being distracted... put it this way: Where would you live had you gone to Western, Mac, or Queens?

Q: Physics, yes or no?
A: No. Just no. Please, I'm begging you... no. (I didn't take it)

Q: How are the scholarships?
A: UofT is pretty generous with how they distribute funds. If you have a 92% average, they'll provide you with $2000. If you are in financial need, they will pay the difference between expenses and income... bear in mind you can't really lie about income.

Q: St. George, Mississauga, or Scarborough?
A: If you enjoy being secluded, by all means pick either of the latter two. You end up with a UofT degree either way. By the way, living in downtown Toronto is BOSS.

Q: Will I have time for a social life?
A: If you plan on working part-time... no. If you don't work, it depends on your friend circle. Most people here in Life Sci are the cookie cutter nerds you see on TV... the social butterflies are really all in the humanities.

Q: Does studying all day equal success?
A: No. Tests are designed expecting everyone knows all the content perfectly. Tests are application of what you know. I swear, there are people I know who don't even read the required readings and ace midterms. Others work their butt off and have their dreams crushed repeatedly.

Q: Is there a community feel at UofT?
A: Again, refer to the social life question... if you seclude yourself from everyone, you will not feel accepted.

Q: I heard from a friend who goes to UofT life sci and says it's uber hard, and everyone fails.
A: Does that person know all the material? Is that person able to carefully read questions? Is that person just memorizing content, or synthesizing answers?

Q: How did you do on your first midterms?
A: I most definitely obtained over 80% on all three. (3.7 ish gpa)

Q: I live in Toronto, why UofT over York or Ryerson?
A: If you can hold a fork, you can go to York.
How many Ryerson University students does it take to screw in a light bulb? Trick question, Ryerson isn't a university.

Q: What is there to do at UofT besides study?
A: Nothing, as a Life Sci you do homework all day. Hahahaha just kidding, UofT wants you to have fun too! College life is what you make of it. It's really up to you. I'm a hardcore gym rat (2 hrs x 5 days a week) and hang out with friends in the common room alot. I'll join clubs second semester once I get more adjusted to the work load and can manage time more efficiently.

Stanleyy
Posted: October 26, 2010 1:21:27 AM

How does Top 6 work for Life Sciences at any UofT campus?

My counselors said it's literally your top 6 marks of all your courses and another one said top 6 but usually 5 of them are required courses (must be in your top 6).. So im wondering how the heck does Top 6 work for UofT life sciences if Im going to apply

- Stanley, Grade 12 student in Toronto.. grades.. high80's to mid 90s. My literal top 6 would obviously be higher. However, I am DYING to know how it actually works for UofT
witeout
Posted: October 26, 2010 2:28:21 AM

Stanleyy wrote:

My counselors said it's literally your top 6 marks of all your courses and another one said top 6 but usually 5 of them are required courses (must be in your top 6).. So im wondering how the heck does Top 6 work for UofT life sciences if Im going to apply

- Stanley, Grade 12 student in Toronto.. grades.. high80's to mid 90s. My literal top 6 would obviously be higher. However, I am DYING to know how it actually works for UofT

UofT picks your top 6 grades, four of which are English, Bio, Chem, and Calculus or Functions. The other two courses do not matter. My top six were English, Chem, Data Mgmt, Calculus, Functions, and Bio.

Do bear in mind that the $2000 dollar scholarship is based on your ADMISSION average, not your final grades.

e.sin
Posted: October 26, 2010 4:11:29 PM

witeout wrote:
Stanleyy wrote:

UofT picks your top 6 grades, four of which are English, Bio, Chem, and Calculus or Functions. The other two courses do not matter. My top six were English, Chem, Data Mgmt, Calculus, Functions, and Bio.

Do bear in mind that the $2000 dollar scholarship is based on your ADMISSION average, not your final grades.

What other programs did you apply to and what was your admission average?

1. McMaster University: Health Sciences I (Honours) || [BHSc, MNS]
2. University of Toronto, St. George: Life Sciences, Neuroscience || [BSc, TLG]
3. University of Toronto, St. George: Engineering Science, Biomedical Sciences || [BSc, TK]
Tbaum
Posted: October 26, 2010 4:36:59 PM

Where's the best place to make out on campus? If you can list at least three places, I think I will apply to U of T after all. (My top picks are Western and Queen's right now. naughty)

Nunavut Arctic College '11
Fur Design & Production
witeout
Posted: October 26, 2010 7:31:13 PM

e.sin wrote:
What other programs did you apply to and what was your admission average?

I applied to three ivy schools in the US, UofT Life Sci, Western Biomed, and Mac Life Sciences.
witeout
Posted: October 26, 2010 7:35:08 PM

Tbaum wrote:
Where's the best place to make out on campus? If you can list at least three places, I think I will apply to U of T after all. (My top picks are Western and Queen's right now. naughty)

I'll get back to you on that one. smile
slaughter
Posted: October 26, 2010 7:35:52 PM

care to share your admission average?
And why does everyone say UofT life sci is killer? There must be something about it that makes them say that. maybe they've misunderstood something?

McMaster Troll Sci.
Richard Ivey School of Trolling
e.sin
Posted: October 26, 2010 7:56:25 PM

slaughter wrote:

ooooh. i see that rhyme. care to share. Look at you being a poet when you don't even know it/

What's the hardest course u have? BIO150? CHM139? MAT137? What did you choose as your elective? What's your college? And any regrets on choosing UTSG?

3. University of Toronto, St. George: Engineering Science, Biomedical Sciences || [BSc, TK]
WesternUman
Posted: October 26, 2010 7:57:07 PM

Why the hate for physics? It's the language of the universe man.

Help guys, i'm trying to figure out how microwaves work.

My current idea is, that it has something to do with the rotating plate. Because, if i run in circles, i'll get warm too.
Another observation seems to prove this, if i stand still, i'll become cold.
So, because the food doesn't move inside a refrigerator it gets cold?
safarhealthsci
Posted: October 26, 2010 8:57:26 PM

York over UofT for pre-med, trust me. It's Bette to go to York and get a 3.9 gpa than to go to UofT and get a 3.7. In the end high gpa wins. But, if you aren't planing graduate school a degree from UofT is great.

Applied to :

Mcmaster Life sci and Health sci
UWO biomed
U of T (m) Life sci
York Biomed
York Kinesiology
Guelph Biomed
Ryerson Biology

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV
will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
e.sin
Posted: October 26, 2010 9:14:54 PM

safarhealthsci wrote:
York over UofT for pre-med, trust me. It's Bette to go to York and get a 3.9 gpa than to go to UofT and get a 3.7. In the end high gpa wins. But, if you aren't planing graduate school a degree from UofT is great.

I don't think I can go to york and be happy with myself at the same time. I'd rather work way harder and get the same mark at UTSG.

Xiaohaha
Posted: October 26, 2010 9:45:40 PM

Are you allowed to take music performance courses at U of T even though you're not in the music program?
Tbaum
Posted: October 26, 2010 10:32:40 PM

Xiaohaha wrote:
Are you allowed to take music performance courses at U of T even though you're not in the music program?

Nope, not allowed.

Nunavut Arctic College '11
Fur Design & Production
Xiaohaha
Posted: October 26, 2010 10:37:42 PM

Tbaum wrote:
Xiaohaha wrote:

Nope, not allowed.

Damn.

What a bleepgot.

But that's the case with most universities, isn't it?
witeout
Posted: October 27, 2010 1:06:28 AM

slaughter wrote:
And why does everyone say UofT life sci is killer? There must be something about it that makes them say that. maybe they've misunderstood something?

My admission average was 94.5%.

There is one reason why everyone says UofT is killer. The science students here think they're the s**t because they did well in high school. They really fail to realize that everyone who comes to UofT did just as well if not better as they did.

Put it this way, you have a 90 something average right now compared to the 70's and 80's your peers are getting. You consider yourself better than the rest. Upon entering university, you become average... so when you get average grades (60%), you flip. Art students and commerce students at UofT don't really complain because (no offence), most of them were average in high school and obtained average marks.

Another really big mistake students (and parents) make is putting med school on some sort of pedestal in their minds... Alot of my friends came to life sci expecting to get into Med school as if it was no big deal. Med school is essentially for the elite - the cream of the crop. If you are planning on becoming a doctor (regardless of which university you pick), please make a backup plan so reality doesnt slap you in the face.

witeout
Posted: October 27, 2010 1:19:02 AM

WesternUman wrote:
Why the hate for physics? It's the language of the universe man.

My high school calculus teacher once said (actually), "If you can understand Physics and Chemistry, you can understand how the universe works."

Personally, I have no need to take physics and do not recommend you take it unless your subject post (fancy way of saying major) requires it. If you want to keep your options open, by all means go ahead... after all, half of us Life Sci's switch out after first year.

simford
Posted: October 29, 2010 1:11:07 AM

hello, i am currently a grade 12 student interested in dentistry/orthodontics as a possible career path. i am hoping to end the school year with a mid-high 80 to a 90 average. should i bother even having dentistry/orthodontics on my mind or not?
koreanboy730
Posted: December 1, 2010 4:32:34 PM

hey i applied of going U of T St.George for life science but i am kind of worried due to certain conditions

MY eng has always been struggling in the high eighties and plan to take a summer upgrade course
my adv function i had a tough year due to circumstances and took summer upgrade course 65 to 94

and now i am planning on accumulating 95+ for all my chem, bio, physics, data, and calculus

there is another catch i have no extra curricular activities or barely to any for the school but i have volunteer works for my community
and about 150+ plus hours of community service

do i have any chance of getting into this program?

Applying to University of Toronto LIFE SCI
Waterloo LIFE SCI
McMaster LIFE SCI
qszwdxefc
Posted: December 5, 2010 2:42:21 PM

witeout wrote:

the social butterflies are really all in the humanities.

Hahaha i honestly love the arts and humanities people, they're all awesome.

Xiaohaha wrote:

Depends what you define as music performance. At Western you can take a course which consists 100% of private lessons with you and a prof. You need to be minimum RCM level 6 in whatever instrument you play or pass an audition, and you don't have to be in music (I took it).

The only downside is the additional $1600 or so you have to pay.

UWO Biomed 2014

Accepted into: Mac Healthsci, Queen's Science, UTSC LifeSci