We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

McGill vs Queens vs UofT - Unbiased from a guy who attended all three Options
johnstafford
Posted: October 17, 2010 3:17:36 AM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2010
Posts: 4
Firstly, I would like to assert that I have attended each of these three great universities and therefore am not inherently biased towards one (unlike most of the other contributors to these forums) simply because I go or have gone to it. I attended University of Toronto for economics for two years, and then transferred to Queens - initially because I just wanted to be further away from home (Toronto). I graduated with a BA in Economics and then went on to do an MA at McGill, and I am presently working on my PhD thesis dissertation at Yale university, also for Economics.

I loved my years at UofT and it really is a first class institution of higher learning in Canada. Some complaints that I have about it however, are of the usual nature which you will find on these forums. The classes are too large, the professors are too uninvolved in undergraduate education...etc etc.

I then started my third year at Queens and graduated.

What I think: Queen's is the best university for undergraduate studies in Canada

Now, Here is Why - and why you should ignore rankings
1) Contrary to what people in Canada usually believe, Queens is viewed as the most prestigious university by most prestigious American schools. As mentioned before, I am working towards the completion of a PhD at Yale university and many in the economics faculty express praise for the students they have encountered from Queens.

2) Queens is most similar to an ivy league or top liberal arts college than its rivals (McGill, UofT).

3) A queens degree is less common. Personally, being from toronto and knowing that I would someday work and settle there, I did not want to be another one of the hundreds of thousands of UofT grads in the city. What is the fun in that? Employers have generally looked upon my queens degree with favour.

4) Queens programs are very challenging. The engineering stream is unbelievably rigorous - forcing first year students to take on a seven course load. My economics program was much more involved than the same program at UofT.

5) College town feeling: simply unforgettable and amazing.

6) Selectivity - It is no secret that anybody that can gain admission to queens can do the same at UofT. Queens medicine is the most selective in the Country. http://www.afmc.ca/publications-admission-e.php

7) School spirit is unrivaled - Go and witness the first year engineers slamming their jackets after their first set of final exams and you will be left breathless - having never witnessed an ambient energy and fervor such as this. All Queens students are incredibly proud of their institution, which is more than I had witnessed at UofT - where many students had disdain for their programs and faculties.

8) the BEAUTIFUL campus. Queens' campus is the most beautiful and quaint I have ever seen (aside from Yale, although it comes close!). It really feels like you are walking through the premier institution in Canada.

I am not bashing UofT or McGill in any way, shape, or form; I am simply trying to illuminate my own personal experiences at each of these great schools.

I believe that for an undergraduate degree, and merit thereof, Queen's university cannot be touched.
However, I believe that for a post graduate degree, where access to research, facilities, and funding are much more important, one would be much wiser to choose one of the two other greats - McGill, or UofT


My Ranking of undergraduate educations
1) Queens
2) McGill
3) UofT

My Ranking of Post Graduate Educations
1) McGill
2) UofT
3) Queens

I would also like to congratulate all those who attend, have been admitted to, or have graduated from any of these three institutions. You should all be proud. I know I am.

LUX ET VERITAS
WesternUman
Posted: October 17, 2010 11:57:29 AM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/17/2010
Posts: 76
Location: Queens Quay East and West
http://media.photobucket.com/image/didn%252527t%20read%20lol/goblue5699/didntreadlol.png

Help guys, i'm trying to figure out how microwaves work.

My current idea is, that it has something to do with the rotating plate. Because, if i run in circles, i'll get warm too.
Another observation seems to prove this, if i stand still, i'll become cold.
So, because the food doesn't move inside a refrigerator it gets cold?
Xiaohaha
Posted: October 17, 2010 12:10:46 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/5/2010
Posts: 231
Location: Gaylordsville
Wow. I feel so privileged that a Yale Ph.D student has gone through all this trouble of making a forum account just so he can tell us how great Queen's is. Thank you, Sir!
Sean1218
Posted: October 17, 2010 12:51:49 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/20/2010
Posts: 51
I'm interested in Queens for my undergrad (life sciences), but everyone I've talked to/read about it always say how much like high school it is. That is, very cliquey. Also, that everyone who goes already knows tons of people because most of them are from private schools (i.e. there was one person who mentioned how half of his graduating class of about 100 went to Queens), which makes it difficult to make new friends. Maybe you wouldn't have noticed it much because you started in your 3rd year.
johnstafford
Posted: October 17, 2010 1:08:44 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2010
Posts: 4
Sean1218 wrote:
I'm interested in Queens for my undergrad (life sciences), but everyone I've talked to/read about it always say how much like high school it is. That is, very cliquey. Also, that everyone who goes already knows tons of people because most of them are from private schools (i.e. there was one person who mentioned how half of his graduating class of about 100 went to Queens), which makes it difficult to make new friends. Maybe you wouldn't have noticed it much because you started in your 3rd year.


Yes, most of the "Prestigious" private schools in Ontario send a large percentage of their graduates to Queens. Girls come from Havergal College and Branksome Hall, while boys come from Upper Canada College, Saint Andrews College, Crescent, Appleby, etc. You will find however, that the vast majority of Queens students attended public high schools, with a large portion coming in with IB diplomas or AP (Advanced Placement) courses.

As for the cliques - there aren't any. If you have time to get caught up in worrying about popularity and social groupings, you clearly aren't spending enough time at your studies. I found Queens to be less "cliquey" than UofT due to the lack of fraternities and sororities on campus. Queens banned these in the 30s I believe. This creates a nice environment where everybody can feel proud to be at an elite university, unlike University of Toronto where people in prestigious frats and who attend prestigious colleges such as Trinity, may act superior to those who are not in said frats and colleges. There is nothing like this at Queens. Everybody there is a top student, and you feel the interconnectedness between faculties, rather than any rivalries. There is a strong academic rivaly with mcgill, and athletic rivalries with mcgill, western and UofT.

I really felt that I obtained a superior education at Queens, and I also feel that it motivated and assisted me to my current tenure as a Yale PhD student.

LUX ET VERITAS
BXPE14
Posted: October 17, 2010 3:16:17 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 93
Location: 345 Park Avenue, NYC
johnstafford wrote:
Sean1218 wrote:
I'm interested in Queens for my undergrad (life sciences), but everyone I've talked to/read about it always say how much like high school it is. That is, very cliquey. Also, that everyone who goes already knows tons of people because most of them are from private schools (i.e. there was one person who mentioned how half of his graduating class of about 100 went to Queens), which makes it difficult to make new friends. Maybe you wouldn't have noticed it much because you started in your 3rd year.


Yes, most of the "Prestigious" private schools in Ontario send a large percentage of their graduates to Queens. Girls come from Havergal College and Branksome Hall, while boys come from Upper Canada College, Saint Andrews College, Crescent, Appleby, etc. You will find however, that the vast majority of Queens students attended public high schools, with a large portion coming in with IB diplomas or AP (Advanced Placement) courses.

As for the cliques - there aren't any. If you have time to get caught up in worrying about popularity and social groupings, you clearly aren't spending enough time at your studies. I found Queens to be less "cliquey" than UofT due to the lack of fraternities and sororities on campus. Queens banned these in the 30s I believe. This creates a nice environment where everybody can feel proud to be at an elite university, unlike University of Toronto where people in prestigious frats and who attend prestigious colleges such as Trinity, may act superior to those who are not in said frats and colleges. There is nothing like this at Queens. Everybody there is a top student, and you feel the interconnectedness between faculties, rather than any rivalries. There is a strong academic rivaly with mcgill, and athletic rivalries with mcgill, western and UofT.

I really felt that I obtained a superior education at Queens, and I also feel that it motivated and assisted me to my current tenure as a Yale PhD student.


havergal, branksome, st.clements for girls seem to be popular
ucc, crescent, royal st. g's for guys seem to be popular.
Gorges26
Posted: October 17, 2010 4:14:24 PM

Rank: Président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/24/2009
Posts: 1,175
I can't believe you called yourself unbiased. "Most beautiful campus", "unrivaled school spirit", "best school in Canada for undergraduate studies" etc, is certainly your extremely biased opinion, having attended only two schools for your undergrad. And maybe the Queen's bubble is "unforgettable and amazing", but those two adjectives sure as hell don't describe Kingston.

S-Class
Posted: October 17, 2010 4:21:49 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/30/2010
Posts: 167
johnstafford wrote:

3) A queens degree is less common. Personally, being from toronto and knowing that I would someday work and settle there, I did not want to be another one of the hundreds of thousands of UofT grads in the city. What is the fun in that? Employers have generally looked upon my queens degree with favour.


I'll disagree with this one as a major factor: as you are pursuing graduate school, people will be more interested in where you went for grad (which is Yale, which is fantastic). Hence, in my opinion it doesn't matter whether you went to U of T or McGill or Queen's or the smallest community college in Yellowknife for undergradate, as graduate school is the one that matters.

2010 Loran Award Recipient
Tbaum
Posted: October 17, 2010 4:32:30 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/8/2010
Posts: 210
I smell troll.

Nunavut Arctic College '11
Fur Design & Production
lytherebel
Posted: October 17, 2010 4:39:46 PM

Rank: Posteur Intermédiaire
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/30/2009
Posts: 540
Tbaum wrote:
I smell troll.

^this

Applied to:
University of Waterloo - Electrical Engineering
University of Waterloo - Physical Sciences
University of Guelph - Mechanical Engineering
Wilfrid Laurier University - Chemistry
University of Toronto - Physical and Mathematical Sciences [Victoria University]
johnstafford
Posted: October 17, 2010 5:34:49 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2010
Posts: 4
Gorges26 wrote:
I can't believe you called yourself unbiased. "Most beautiful campus", "unrivaled school spirit", "best school in Canada for undergraduate studies" etc, is certainly your extremely biased opinion, having attended only two schools for your undergrad. And maybe the Queen's bubble is "unforgettable and amazing", but those two adjectives sure as hell don't describe Kingston.



I wrote this column to try to put this much debated topic into perspective from the point of view of somebody who thinks all three schools are great and has attended all of them. I kept reading posts from people bashing all but their own school and I felt the need to interject. Of course you will love your own institution, just as you love your own mother, no matter her persona. They each have their strengths. Also, where in "beautiful campus" and "unrivaled school spirit" do you see the mention of Kingston? You don't; because I never issued praise for the town itself. Kingston is an awful city, but being in the student community outweighs its horribleness. I much prefer living in toronto or montreal. New Haven, Connecticut, which is where I live now, is about the same as Kingston.

I never said Queen's could compete with UofT or McGill in post-graduate studies, because other than through the faculties of business and medicine, it can't.

I find it amusing how hateful people are on these forums. Intellectual and scholastic arrogance is one of the poorest qualities one can acquire. Have consideration for those who do not have these opportunities and avoid belittling them and/or their institutions. My brother goes to aviation school and him and I do not compare ourselves to each other. In the words of Andy Warhol, "Think rich, look poor"



LUX ET VERITAS
BXPE14
Posted: October 17, 2010 5:49:50 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/9/2010
Posts: 93
Location: 345 Park Avenue, NYC
johnstafford wrote:
Gorges26 wrote:
I can't believe you called yourself unbiased. "Most beautiful campus", "unrivaled school spirit", "best school in Canada for undergraduate studies" etc, is certainly your extremely biased opinion, having attended only two schools for your undergrad. And maybe the Queen's bubble is "unforgettable and amazing", but those two adjectives sure as hell don't describe Kingston.



I wrote this column to try to put this much debated topic into perspective from the point of view of somebody who thinks all three schools are great and has attended all of them. I kept reading posts from people bashing all but their own school and I felt the need to interject. Of course you will love your own institution, just as you love your own mother, no matter her persona. They each have their strengths. Also, where in "beautiful campus" and "unrivaled school spirit" do you see the mention of Kingston? You don't; because I never issued praise for the town itself. Kingston is an awful city, but being in the student community outweighs its horribleness. I much prefer living in toronto or montreal. New Haven, Connecticut, which is where I live now, is about the same as Kingston.

I never said Queen's could compete with UofT or McGill in post-graduate studies, because other than through the faculties of business and medicine, it can't.

I find it amusing how hateful people are on these forums. Intellectual and scholastic arrogance is one of the poorest qualities one can acquire. Have consideration for those who do not have these opportunities and avoid belittling them and/or their institutions. My brother goes to aviation school and him and I do not compare ourselves to each other. In the words of Andy Warhol, "Think rich, look poor"



School of Business. Not faculty.
QqQq
Posted: October 17, 2010 6:14:26 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/2/2010
Posts: 262
Location: Canada
How's Yale?..

APPLYING TO:
SCHULICH BBA
QUEEN'S COMMERCE
ROTMAN COMMERCE
WESTERN ??? - IVEY AEO

johnstafford
Posted: October 17, 2010 6:34:02 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2010
Posts: 4
QqQq wrote:
How's Yale?..


Yale is a great place, and much easier to gain admission to for graduate studies than for undergraduate. Admission to Yale college is next to impossible but I would not discourage anybody for trying. It is extremely expensive and seldom awards scholarships. There are some arrogant people here as expected. But there are also some very unique, interesting, and humble people. New Haven however, is pretty poor. I would prefer to live in Toronto or Montreal. I was also accepted at Columbia, and it was a tough choice, but I went with Yale in the end for the reputation, and smaller size.

LUX ET VERITAS
goldmansachs
Posted: October 17, 2010 6:38:06 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/9/2010
Posts: 149
Tbaum wrote:
I smell troll.


furr design!? coooool

Applying to:
McGill University - Management
UWO - Global Economics + Ivey AEO
Queens University - Commerce
York University - Schulich BBA
UTSC - Management Co-op
Tbaum
Posted: October 17, 2010 8:13:20 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/8/2010
Posts: 210
goldmansachs wrote:
Tbaum wrote:
I smell troll.


furr design!? coooool


Yes. I'm slapping together a fashion show in six weeks. You're invited.

Nunavut Arctic College '11
Fur Design & Production


Forum Jump

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2008 studentawards.com & boursetudes.com - Studentawards Inc. All rights reserved.