We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Queen's Major Awards Applicants 2011 Options
meridian
Posted: November 28, 2010 8:43:12 PM
Groups: Member

Send it next day Expresspost with delivery receipt. You can then check the Canada post web site to see if it was delivered and when. A few weeks after OUAC application you will also be able to log into Queens ASQ site to monitor application status. That should list scholarship app as well.
Areeb X Akhter
Posted: November 28, 2010 11:18:40 PM

lemony wrote:
How do you know if your application has safely arrived? My school said they would courier it on my behalf, but I'm kind of paranoid that it won't arrive or something, haha. I tried checking the Student Centre but it didn't seem to say anything. Thoughts?

By the way, after December 1, we should all come back here and put down what we put for the Original/Creative Thinking section. I'm interested to know!

Also, do you think they pay more attention to the essay questions and reference letter than your list of extracurriculars? I think that personal development and what is your character is like is much more important than a bunch of non-descriptive single lines about various ECs... but what do you guys think?

i wrote with that in mind also
grad2011
Posted: November 30, 2010 11:12:48 AM

Ok so i'm kind of confused.

I paid my ouac fees last thursday. and then got an email saying "Thank You For You Payment" I have not recieved any messages from Queens saying information about bursarys. Am I supposed to wait a week or so? I have tried to make a net id but my reference number doesnt seem to work so I have a feeling it hasn't sent to queens yet, what do you guys think?

Applying to:

Queens Commerce, Western HBA, UBC Commerce, Simon Fraser Business Administration
meridian
Posted: November 30, 2010 1:24:24 PM

Received this by email today. That was 6 days after OUAC application completed.

Dear xxxxxxxx,

The Student Awards team would like to take this opportunity to thank you for applying to Queen’s and to give you important information about applying for scholarships and awards! Right now, the Undergraduate Admission team is processing applications from students, like you, who want to begin their university studies in September 2011. We are also in the process of launching our new online self-service system, which is where you will track your application and review your ‘To-Do’ list, among other things.

Your Student ID is: xxxxxxxxxx

You will need your Student ID if you call us, or email us, about your application and to access our online self-service system. This system will allow you to track the progress of your application, view your ‘To-Do List’ and submit your Personal Statement of Experience and Supplementary Essay (if applicable).

Your Next Steps:

**** <snip -- long explanation of next steps to login etc> ****

Scholarship and Financial Aid Information

Major Admission Awards:

• are granted to students demonstrating superior academic ability, creative and original thinking, involvement in school or community activities and leadership qualities
• range in value from $36,000 to $60,000 ($9,000—$15,000 for each of 4 years)
• application deadline is December 1, 2010
http://www.queensu.ca/studentawards/index.html

Please note: We have extended the deadline for submission of the Admission Bursary application to December 15, 2010 for those students applying for one of the following Major Admission Awards

• Chernoff Family Awards
• Dr. Iris May Marsh Memorial Award
• Bank of Montreal Award
• Melvin R. Goodes Entrance Award

• You must submit your Admission Bursary Application by December 15, 2010 (The Admission Bursary is accessed through the online Student Center). Please ensure your Major Admission Award Application is received in our office no later than December 1, 2010.

Admission Bursary:

• non-repayable grants directed to students demonstrating financial need
• application deadline is March 1, 2011

You will be receiving further information from the Undergraduate Admission Office regarding your application to Queen's at a later date. Please continue to monitor the 'To Do' list on your Student Center. This is where you will review what we need you to do to complete your application. Undergraduate Admission staff are currently assessing your application and additions can be made to your To Do list.

We hope you are having a successful year!

Sincerely,

The Student Awards Team
Office of the University Registrar
Queen’s University
Kingston, Ontario

jackbaek
Posted: November 30, 2010 4:05:20 PM

yess my school JUST nominated me for chancellors!!! they better send it express so it gets there on time x.x

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
lemony
Posted: November 30, 2010 10:34:04 PM

meridian wrote:
Send it next day Expresspost with delivery receipt. You can then check the Canada post web site to see if it was delivered and when. A few weeks after OUAC application you will also be able to log into Queens ASQ site to monitor application status. That should list scholarship app as well.

It was my school that sent it on my behalf, so I don't have any receipts. I went and doublechecked and my school said that the courier guy picked up to deliver the same day I handed it in to them... I assume that if there were problems, they would have told me. Also, I already applied to OUAC and checked Queen's new website (it's different this year) and couldn't find anything about received scholarship applications - has anybody else been able to find this? But it's probably unlikely that they've been able to sort through them all. I guess there's no point in worrying about this... But I will be really frustrated if something goes wrong and I have to write the PSE and essays instead. |:
je022
Posted: December 1, 2010 5:51:53 PM

grad2011 wrote:
Ok so i'm kind of confused.

I paid my ouac fees last thursday. and then got an email saying "Thank You For You Payment" I have not recieved any messages from Queens saying information about bursarys. Am I supposed to wait a week or so? I have tried to make a net id but my reference number doesnt seem to work so I have a feeling it hasn't sent to queens yet, what do you guys think?

I'm in the same position too-paid last thursday, and haven't gotten anything from Queen's, but I did email them a few days ago, and they said it'd be there the next day or so, and that has already passed by a few days now...

Queen's Commerce
U of T-Rotman Commerce
McMaster-Degroote
grad2011
Posted: December 1, 2010 10:23:02 PM

i guess we'll just have to wait I got the email for western today so atleast I know it processed ?

Applying to:

Queens Commerce, Western HBA, UBC Commerce, Simon Fraser Business Administration
purpledog
Posted: December 2, 2010 12:13:47 AM

I was SO worried my package wouldn't get there on time, but this morning at 5 am my time (so 8 or so their time) I got an email from Canada Post sayings someone signed for it and it was delivered. Phew! I hope everything went well for all you guys!
lemony
Posted: December 2, 2010 1:52:48 PM

So, since the deadline has passed, what did everyone write about for their essay questions? haha
StarsAligned
Posted: December 2, 2010 6:57:38 PM

Music and stuff. batman
WingedVoice
Posted: December 2, 2010 8:51:31 PM

hey did anybody apply for the bursary?
im in financial need and i need to apply for the bursary before december 15, and it says "forbidden access"
queens website says the application is available :S is it just me?

also, i sent in my application but they didnt display it on the "PeopleSoft Resources and click on Student/HR – Self Serve (PRD)" at myqueens.
it says "You currently do not have any Award Applications available for viewing online."

did anybody check their student self service in myqueens?
am i the only one who doesnt have anything on that?

what do you guy have written on the screen?

also did you guys get any emails other than the "applying for scholarship and bursaries" email?
like anything on applying for the scholarship?

thanks
vsmith
Posted: December 3, 2010 7:44:12 PM

Got nominated for Chancellor's and sent my application Expresspost on Nov. 24th. Does anyone know when we will see that it has been received and is in progress on the Queen's Student Centre "View Award Application Status"? Right now it just says "You currently do not have any Award Applications available for viewing online." I assume they got it - checked Canada Post online last week and the received signature said "Barrack Street". Anyone else see this? Thanks.
btown
Posted: December 3, 2010 9:55:53 PM

vsmith wrote:
Got nominated for Chancellor's and sent my application Expresspost on Nov. 24th. Does anyone know when we will see that it has been received and is in progress on the Queen's Student Centre "View Award Application Status"? Right now it just says "You currently do not have any Award Applications available for viewing online." I assume they got it - checked Canada Post online last week and the received signature said "Barrack Street". Anyone else see this? Thanks.

When I click on "View Award Application Status", nothing shows up. Does anyone else have this problem?

Applied to: Queen's Commerce ( Chancellor nominee), Mcgill Management and UBC Commerce
Class of 2015 in ?
purpledog
Posted: December 4, 2010 3:33:58 PM

this is what mine says:

Application Name Application Receipt Date Application Status
Admission Bursary 2010/12/01 In Progress

so it doesn't mention anything about a major entrance scholarship. I think we should just wait. It's only been four days. But I do feel a little anxious razz
StarsAligned
Posted: December 4, 2010 4:07:00 PM

All the links are dead;
all the info is missing.

"Major Admission Awards Application not Received"

frown

EDIT: it also doesn't allow me to update my email address.
ASQ is such a pain in the @ exclamation exclamation
They did mention it is in the process of being updated or something ... anyone know anything about this?
Luna
Posted: December 8, 2010 9:10:00 PM

My award application status now reads:

Application Name Receipt Date Status

Major Admission Awards 2010/12/01 In Progress

I guess I should feel relieved that they got it.. but I can't help waiting for an e-mail or something more substantial to make me really believe that they really received it and that I don't have to do the PSE.
excited.loon
Posted: December 8, 2010 11:18:02 PM

I sent in my queens major scholarship app.. but i don't have an OUAC? should i make one and if/when i do so, what would the next step be? I'm so confused :/

thanks !
jackbaek
Posted: December 9, 2010 4:23:07 PM

How long did you guys have to wait after you applied through OUAC before Queens sent a confirmation email? I submited mine last last friday and I still haven't gotten one! I better get it before the bursary deadline so I can fill out the form... :S

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
Posted: December 9, 2010 4:55:55 PM

jackbaek wrote:
How long did you guys have to wait after you applied through OUAC before Queens sent a confirmation email? I submited mine last last friday and I still haven't gotten one! I better get it before the bursary deadline so I can fill out the form... :S

im on the same boat! I submitted mine last monday and still no email!!!!

Applying to:

Queen's Commerce
Schulich BBA
Economics (AEO) Ivey
Wilfred Laurier BBA
Rotman Commerce