We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Queen's Major Awards Applicants 2011 Options
goldmansachs
Posted: November 19, 2010 6:20:54 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/9/2010
Posts: 149
grad2011 wrote:
ok so the bursary application is out and it says you will get a queens student number emailed to you or something, how exactly am i supposed to get this email?


yeah exactly? it seems as if it's only for people that are registered at queens
hmm


Applying to:
McGill University - Management
UWO - Global Economics + Ivey AEO
Queens University - Commerce
York University - Schulich BBA
UTSC - Management Co-op
90210
Posted: November 19, 2010 6:40:20 PM

Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/30/2009
Posts: 37
Omg we don't get our ouac pins until nov 29! How will I get an email from them if I haven' t applied yet?

Applying to:

Queen's Commerce
Schulich BBA
Economics (AEO) Ivey
Wilfred Laurier BBA
Rotman Commerce
Elysium
Posted: November 20, 2010 5:54:43 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/25/2009
Posts: 22
Does anyone know if the essays are supposed to be very formal?

My community contribution one sounds more like a story than a very matter-of-fact description of my accomplishments. I think it's just the way I tend to write. Would I be penalized for this?
RealFlow
Posted: November 20, 2010 9:17:39 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/13/2010
Posts: 4
I would think not.. or else hope not because mine was more like a story, too!
Elysium
Posted: November 20, 2010 9:51:42 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/25/2009
Posts: 22
RealFlow wrote:
I would think not.. or else hope not because mine was more like a story, too!


Whew, at least I know someone else is in the same boat! I wouldn't think it to be a problem, but since there is a sectional specifically for creativity I'm wondering if the other two parts aren't meant to be more formal.

Anybody care to englighten us?
excited.loon
Posted: November 20, 2010 11:38:03 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/17/2010
Posts: 27
Location: Canada
To be eligible for the scholarship, would I also have to apply to Queen's before I send in my application? So basically, say I send in my application on November 26, would I have to apply to Queen's before then?

Thanks!
jon1010
Posted: November 20, 2010 11:54:44 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/24/2009
Posts: 2
Location: Canada
excited.loon wrote:
To be eligible for the scholarship, would I also have to apply to Queen's before I send in my application? So basically, say I send in my application on November 26, would I have to apply to Queen's before then?

Thanks!


I contacted Queens Student Awards department about this and they said an application (university) is not required before your scholarship application. They will just add it to your file once they receive it.
excited.loon
Posted: November 21, 2010 1:54:59 AM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/17/2010
Posts: 27
Location: Canada
great thanks!
RealFlow
Posted: November 21, 2010 8:46:55 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/13/2010
Posts: 4
goldmansachs wrote:
grad2011 wrote:
ok so the bursary application is out and it says you will get a queens student number emailed to you or something, how exactly am i supposed to get this email?


yeah exactly? it seems as if it's only for people that are registered at queens
hmm


I'm confused about this too : ( anybody know what to do??
Elysium
Posted: November 22, 2010 8:53:55 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/25/2009
Posts: 22
Does anyone else have a completely blank "Community" section under Awards and Conferences? worry What sort of stuff are you guys filling in there?

My application has way too many blanks.

Also, I know we don't have to submit a PSE if we're applying for the scholarship, but do we still need to submit an essay for programs such as commerce?
purpledog
Posted: November 23, 2010 10:16:54 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2010
Posts: 11
Location: Vancouver
Elysium wrote:
Does anyone else have a completely blank "Community" section under Awards and Conferences? worry What sort of stuff are you guys filling in there?

My application has way too many blanks.

Also, I know we don't have to submit a PSE if we're applying for the scholarship, but do we still need to submit an essay for programs such as commerce?


Ya, I have a blank section there too. The only thing under my "national" competitions section is a math contest in grade ten :S fortunately I have a full page of EC's but I feel like I just BS'd a few to be honest.

And about your commere question, i'm not too sure. Sorry!

Soo... how confident is everyone on getting the scholarship? I'm curious to know smile
SKing
Posted: November 23, 2010 10:38:01 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/23/2009
Posts: 18
Location: Mississauga
Hey, I have a quick question. Once your done your part of the application online, do you print it out, and then get a High School official to fill out the Nomination section and a Referee to fill out theirs by hand?

And then does the school take it and mail it? I'm so confused.

Btw, what does the whole creative/original part mean?
goldmansachs
Posted: November 23, 2010 10:46:57 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/9/2010
Posts: 149
Elysium wrote:

Soo... how confident is everyone on getting the scholarship? I'm curious to know smile


Not too confident considering there's 11 people from my school applying for chancellors.

Dammit, word count for my leadership essay is 412 wordsfrown. I can't trim it down any further

Applying to:
McGill University - Management
UWO - Global Economics + Ivey AEO
Queens University - Commerce
York University - Schulich BBA
UTSC - Management Co-op
Areeb X Akhter
Posted: November 23, 2010 10:56:24 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2010
Posts: 10
Location: Woodbridge
anyone have ideas if Queens would care greatly if i used an award i recieved before sept 2008?
Areeb X Akhter
Posted: November 23, 2010 10:57:42 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2010
Posts: 10
Location: Woodbridge
anyone have ideas if Queens would care greatly if i used an award i recieved before sept 2008?
bearstearns3
Posted: November 23, 2010 11:07:12 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2010
Posts: 56
Areeb X Akhter wrote:
anyone have ideas if Queens would care greatly if i used an award i recieved before sept 2008?


that would be a judgement call, but to be safe...i would just follow instructions and only include stuff after sept 2008

applying to (in order of preference):

Queens Commerce
Western BMOS + AEO
York University Schulich
Mcgill Desautels
University of Toronto Rotman Commerce
Waterloo/Laurier DD
bearstearns3
Posted: November 23, 2010 11:09:03 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2010
Posts: 56
SKing wrote:
Hey, I have a quick question. Once your done your part of the application online, do you print it out, and then get a High School official to fill out the Nomination section and a Referee to fill out theirs by hand?

And then does the school take it and mail it? I'm so confused.

Btw, what does the whole creative/original part mean?


Yes, I believe your counselor is suppose to fill out the nomination section but your referee can also type their referral if he/she would like.

applying to (in order of preference):

Queens Commerce
Western BMOS + AEO
York University Schulich
Mcgill Desautels
University of Toronto Rotman Commerce
Waterloo/Laurier DD
purpledog
Posted: November 24, 2010 12:21:28 AM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2010
Posts: 11
Location: Vancouver
goldmansachs wrote:

Not too confident considering there's 11 people from my school applying for chancellors.

Dammit, word count for my leadership essay is 412 wordsfrown. I can't trim it down any further


Wow, you must have a very large school. The max at mine is 2, but I'm the only one. I don't personally know anyone else who's applying!
I'm sure over 400 would be fine- it's not like they would actually count the words, is it? That would be just a tad unnecessary...
SKing
Posted: November 24, 2010 5:22:00 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/23/2009
Posts: 18
Location: Mississauga
Anyone care to share briefly what they are putting for this creative/original thinking part? I don't really
understand what to put on it.
SKing
Posted: November 24, 2010 8:05:51 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/23/2009
Posts: 18
Location: Mississauga
Eh, scrap my last comment.

My only question is, they do not really ask for much volunteer experience in the application except for that one essay. Can you list where you volunteered in the Extra-curricular table? Please answer as soon as you can! Thanks.


Forum Jump

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2008 studentawards.com & boursetudes.com - Studentawards Inc. All rights reserved.