We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Queen's Major Awards Applicants 2011 Options
Haru
Posted: November 12, 2010 7:42:22 PM
Groups: Member

What the heck are you suppose to write for original/creative thinking........... ><
grad2011
Posted: November 12, 2010 11:28:20 PM

my school is on a semester system so I wont have some of my classes started by my time of admission, will queens care?

Applying to:

Queens Commerce, Western HBA, UBC Commerce, Simon Fraser Business Administration
jackbaek
Posted: November 13, 2010 9:13:11 PM

lol im pretty sure most schools are semestered

anyways my friend wants to know if the 90+ average is top 6 grade 12 marks? or grade 11 marks? because I know they give it out in like Feb but by Feb most schools just started second semester so most people wouldn't even have 6 grade 12 courses.

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
Odessafile75
Posted: November 14, 2010 9:56:53 AM

some universities may look at grade 11 final marks but what is most important is whatever marks you have on grade 12 1st report card. If your marks are high 80s/early 90s you have it made
jackbaek
Posted: November 14, 2010 1:17:10 PM

aight cool thanks

Haru wrote:
What the heck are you suppose to write for original/creative thinking........... ><

i wrote a story.. that had nothing to do with me or queens razz lmfao oh well its kinda creative..

Applying to:
Haru
Posted: November 14, 2010 1:36:55 PM

Ughh I hate this. they're being so vague with the instructions, not to mention their 400 word limit. Do they even care if it's over the limit ? The PDF lets you hold a bit more than 400. smile
jackbaek
Posted: November 14, 2010 2:35:23 PM

lol i think you should keep it under 400 razz my first one is 400 and the third one is 399
but the creative i wrote about 550 which is all that fit on the page.

Applying to:
wegielju366
Posted: November 14, 2010 7:28:59 PM

Which marks do they look at for the Chancellor's Scholarship?

Since we need to apply by December 1, that means they're looking at previous years' marks, but when they actually start sending offers do they base it on semester 1 Grade 12 marks?
Odessafile75
Posted: November 15, 2010 12:45:00 AM

I believe they look at your 1st term grade 12 marks, recomendation from your school, and the content of the application
Odessafile75
Posted: November 15, 2010 12:47:02 AM

Haru wrote:
Ughh I hate this. they're being so vague with the instructions, not to mention their 400 word limit. Do they even care if it's over the limit ? The PDF lets you hold a bit more than 400. smile

To be on the safe side do not go over the 400 word limit. If your first draft is over 400 words edit it down to 390-400. It's possible if you go over the 400 word limit they will perceive it as not following their instructions and you will not be sucessful
matt1212
Posted: November 15, 2010 9:06:59 PM

I love being from Atlantic Canada... All IB courses, 94% average, captain of 3 varsity sports, 2 week service to El Salvador, plenty of ECs..

I hope I'm not over-confident about this scholarship but there cannot be a lot of decent candidates for the Sobey award.. And it's 60 grand!

Applying to

Queen's Commerce
Richard Ivey HBA
Laurier BBA
goldmansachs
Posted: November 15, 2010 9:47:20 PM

Guys,

For the three essay questions, the question asking about original and creative thinking does not really have a word limit like the others? Is it safe to assume that there really is no word limit because my response to this is like 500 words?

One more question: Which marks does this scholarship look at? Does it focus mostly on Grade 12?

Applying to:
McGill University - Management
UWO - Global Economics + Ivey AEO
Queens University - Commerce
York University - Schulich BBA
UTSC - Management Co-op
Elysium
Posted: November 16, 2010 5:10:47 PM

Just got nominated by my school today! smile Though judging by the calibre of the other applicants my chances are slim...but I guess it can't hurt to try.

I'm stuck on the creative thinking portion as well. Any past applicants/winners want to share some examples?

One last thing. Which person/people at Queen's actually reads the applications and decides to whom the scholarships are awarded?

Haru
Posted: November 16, 2010 8:28:35 PM

goldmansachs wrote:
Guys,

For the three essay questions, the question asking about original and creative thinking does not really have a word limit like the others? Is it safe to assume that there really is no word limit because my response to this is like 500 words?

One more question: Which marks does this scholarship look at? Does it focus mostly on Grade 12?

Since they ask for your entire high school transcript, I'm assuming it's not just grade 12 marks they care about...
Luna
Posted: November 17, 2010 12:31:56 AM

Hey All! I've just lurked this entire forum - it's nice to hear from some potential Queen's classmates! I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Chancellor's application (my guidance office just confirmed my nomination today, they're so slow at everything!) and I'm anxious about the number of blank spaces I have in the awards/conferences section. I've got plenty from my school, but as for provincial and national, I've got next to nothing. Do you think that will hurt me, or are other people in the same boat?
Odessafile75
Posted: November 17, 2010 7:17:45 AM

Luna wrote:
Hey All! I've just lurked this entire forum - it's nice to hear from some potential Queen's classmates! I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Chancellor's application (my guidance office just confirmed my nomination today, they're so slow at everything!) and I'm anxious about the number of blank spaces I have in the awards/conferences section. I've got plenty from my school, but as for provincial and national, I've got next to nothing. Do you think that will hurt me, or are other people in the same boat?

Many but not all candidates are in a similar situation in that they have awards/conferences from or related to their school which are not necessarly provincial.national. Don't leave blank spaces in this section.Do the best you can listing the awards from your school and conferences you attended or particpated in. Perhaps there were a few which had some relation to a provincial or national competition for example those math quizes/competitions sponsored by/held at another university campus/city

Good Luck
jackbaek
Posted: November 17, 2010 5:25:43 PM

why haven't they put up the admission bursary form up yet for the other major awards? :S

Applying to:
artyboy
Posted: November 17, 2010 6:31:12 PM

Does anyone know how to insert a picture into the Admissions Awards pdf file for the creative portion?
je022
Posted: November 17, 2010 9:09:42 PM

Haru wrote:
goldmansachs wrote:
Guys,

Since they ask for your entire high school transcript, I'm assuming it's not just grade 12 marks they care about...

they consider your midterm marks for grade 12, and your grade 11 marks for the time being, but since they announce it in feb, then I guess they pre-select applicants, and then of those pre-selected, they view their final semester one marks.
then, if you get the award, then I believe you must abide by their conditions (i.e. maintain that 90% average) in order to keep it.

Queen's Commerce
U of T-Rotman Commerce
McMaster-Degroote
grad2011
Posted: November 19, 2010 5:45:26 PM

ok so the bursary application is out and it says you will get a queens student number emailed to you or something, how exactly am i supposed to get this email?

Applying to:

Queens Commerce, Western HBA, UBC Commerce, Simon Fraser Business Administration