We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Queen's Major Awards Applicants 2011 Options
jackbaek
Posted: October 26, 2010 6:34:22 PM

Groups: Member

isn't it one application for all the awards? so shouldn't everyone just apply to every single major award?

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
goldmansachs
Posted: October 26, 2010 6:37:34 PM

jackbaek wrote:
isn't it one application for all the awards? so shouldn't everyone just apply to every single major award?

most of em are for specific regions

Applying to:
McGill University - Management
UWO - Global Economics + Ivey AEO
Queens University - Commerce
York University - Schulich BBA
UTSC - Management Co-op
artyboy
Posted: October 27, 2010 5:19:33 PM

About the "MAJOR AWARDS, ACADEMIC COMPETITIONS AND CONFERENCES" does this include athletic awards too? Like athlete of the year? Since there is no other section for athletic awards.
soccerstar6
Posted: October 27, 2010 5:30:28 PM

artyboy wrote:
About the "MAJOR AWARDS, ACADEMIC COMPETITIONS AND CONFERENCES" does this include athletic awards too? Like athlete of the year? Since there is no other section for athletic awards.

I'm pretty sure Athlete of the Year would be a Major Award lol
KaituoKid
Posted: October 30, 2010 8:32:57 PM

i don't understand why there would be so much competition over the chancellor's award when it holds the "least" financial value??

Applying to :

McMaster - Health Sciences
Guelph- Biomedical Sciences
University of Western Ontario - Biomedical Sciences
University of Windsor - Medical Physics
goldmansachs
Posted: October 30, 2010 8:42:37 PM

KaituoKid wrote:
i don't understand why there would be so much competition over the chancellor's award when it holds the "least" financial value??

it holds the least financial value bcuz its for 50 students compared to other ones which gives to 6-8 students

Applying to:
UTSC - Management Co-op
KaituoKid
Posted: October 30, 2010 8:47:44 PM

goldmansachs wrote:
KaituoKid wrote:

it holds the least financial value bcuz its for 50 students compared to other ones which gives to 6-8 students

ahhh... forgive my ignorance sir

Applying to :

goldmansachs
Posted: October 30, 2010 8:53:49 PM

KaituoKid wrote:
goldmansachs wrote:
KaituoKid wrote:

sorry i didn't mean to sound rude, good luck with your application

Applying to:
UTSC - Management Co-op
KaituoKid
Posted: October 30, 2010 8:55:35 PM

goldmansachs wrote:
KaituoKid wrote:
goldmansachs wrote:
KaituoKid wrote:

lol no worries man..i just realized my question was quite stupid...you didn't come off as rude! smile

Applying to :

purplepheonix
Posted: October 31, 2010 1:04:03 PM

KaituoKid wrote:
goldmansachs wrote:
KaituoKid wrote:
goldmansachs wrote:
KaituoKid wrote:

lol no worries man..i just realized my question was quite stupid...you didn't come off as rude! smile

And the other side of it is, if you apply to chancellor's you are exempt from the PSE meaning you are taken out of the general pool of applicants and put into a much smaller one which increases you shot at acceptance for really competetive programs like commerse, con-ed, and kineseology. Instead of being one of 30,000 applicants you are one of 600.

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
teewhy
Posted: November 1, 2010 11:35:52 PM

hey, just so you all know - i've heard that historically, no chancellor's nominee has ever been rejected to the programs they applied for at Queen's.

So this means that getting the nomination virtually guarantees you acceptance into Queen's (I have yet to find someone who can refute this).

I myself was a chancellor's nominee (not a recipient though!) and was accepted to all three programs I applied to at Queen's.

Good luck with the application guys!

Something else I'd like to point out is that it takes into consideration marks more seriously (compared to TD/Loran) - to be competitive you should have a 93%+ ish average. The higher the better of course. I've heard of one rare case of someone winning the chancellors with a 90-91% average - but his ECs were amazing.

adan10
Posted: November 2, 2010 2:18:36 PM

yah not unless ur applying for the ones of financial need. Who in this forum who is basically below the poverty will have a 90% average im not after chancellor im going after the financial need

Applying to:
McGill: civil engineering
UBC: civil engineering
McMaster: engineering 1
Waterloo: civil engineering
Western: civil engineering and Richard School of Ivey
Queens: engineering
UofT: civil engineering
adan10
Posted: November 2, 2010 2:19:10 PM

erii 93% average

Applying to:
teewhy
Posted: November 5, 2010 7:58:50 PM

adan10 wrote:
yah not unless ur applying for the ones of financial need. Who in this forum who is basically below the poverty will have a 90% average im not after chancellor im going after the financial need

All the other awards other than chancellors take into consideration financial need.

Thing is though, they still look at your marks heavily - and don't seem to care exactly how financially needy you are.
You don't have to be below the poverty line to be awarded it.
Everyone I know who got a "financially needy" one still had a 95% ish average.
purplepheonix
Posted: November 5, 2010 10:12:15 PM

teewhy wrote:
hey, just so you all know - i've heard that historically, no chancellor's nominee has ever been rejected to the programs they applied for at Queen's.

So this means that getting the nomination virtually guarantees you acceptance into Queen's (I have yet to find someone who can refute this).

I myself was a chancellor's nominee (not a recipient though!) and was accepted to all three programs I applied to at Queen's.

Good luck with the application guys!

Something else I'd like to point out is that it takes into consideration marks more seriously (compared to TD/Loran) - to be competitive you should have a 93%+ ish average. The higher the better of course. I've heard of one rare case of someone winning the chancellors with a 90-91% average - but his ECs were amazing.

That's exactly why I'm going for Chancellors. My midterm marks are pretty distorted so they are too low to really give me a shot at winning, and I had two course last year that brought me down into the 90-91% range even though all the others were 93%+.

I do qualify for the financial need ones, and since I'm hopefully applying to the chancellors anyways I figure there is no harm in trying for the other ones even if I don't have the grades.

Btw, could you clarify what you mean by 'amazing' ECs? With specific examples?

And thanks! =D

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
adan10
Posted: November 6, 2010 6:07:25 PM

teewhy Posted: November 5, 2010 7:58:50 PM
adan10 wrote:

All the other awards other than chancellors take into consideration financial need.

Thing is though, they still look at your marks heavily - and don't seem to care exactly how financially needy you are.
You don't have to be below the poverty line to be awarded it.
Everyone I know who got a "financially needy" one still had a 95% ish average.

u make no sense how arent they going to view how financially needy u are if they didnt care y would they make it one of the requirements think?

Applying to:
jackbaek
Posted: November 7, 2010 10:12:15 AM

what the helllll are you guys writing for the creative part?! im soooo stuck. are we supposed to like write about ourselves and the creative things we've done? or write an essay about some random topic that doesn't relate to anything about us but is creative??

Applying to:
kraken.
Posted: November 7, 2010 11:54:06 AM

jackbaek wrote:
what the helllll are you guys writing for the creative part?! im soooo stuck. are we supposed to like write about ourselves and the creative things we've done? or write an essay about some random topic that doesn't relate to anything about us but is creative??

CREATIVE.
aka do whatever the screw you want.

UTSG Trinity College 1Tsomething

dear mods: please don't delete this forum yet! it would make me so depressed! it gives me a happy nostalgic feeling smile
at least archive it or something instead of destroying it like you did with the OLD old forum!
virtue
Posted: November 8, 2010 11:52:39 PM

Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if anybody has come across this issue yet...

Written question #1 of the application says: "Describe your involvement in a school or community activity in which you made positive contribution. What did you accomplish, and in what way was this meaningful to you? (400 words or less)". I have prepared my response which is a total of 399 words. However, my response doesn't even fill half of the space given!

So what's everyone going with? The 400 word limit? Or the space limit?

McMaster- Health Sci
McMaster- LifeSci
Queen's- LifeSci
UBC- Science
jackbaek
Posted: November 9, 2010 7:50:42 AM

virtue wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if anybody has come across this issue yet...

Written question #1 of the application says: "Describe your involvement in a school or community activity in which you made positive contribution. What did you accomplish, and in what way was this meaningful to you? (400 words or less)". I have prepared my response which is a total of 399 words. However, my response doesn't even fill half of the space given!

So what's everyone going with? The 400 word limit? Or the space limit?

Yea but if you try writing like 500 words to fit the space I'm pretty sure the pdf won't let you. and for the second question, "In the space provided below show us, in your own way, how you meet these criteria." you CAN'T write in the whole space!! I've written it and the furthest i can go is about 530 words.

Applying to: