We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Queen's Major Awards Applicants 2011 Options
purplepheonix
Posted: September 22, 2010 5:56:43 PM

Groups: Member

Well, the application forms have been posted. It may be early, but its still good to have a place to discuss the applications.

Which awards are you planning to apply for?

Who are you planning to use as your referee?

What are you going to do for the Origina/Creative thinking section?

Anything to do with the Queen's Major Awards, discuss it here.

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
virtue
Posted: September 22, 2010 7:57:27 PM

Does it have to be a principal/vice principal who fills out the part of the "High School Official"? Or can it be a teacher?

McMaster- Health Sci
McMaster- LifeSci
Queen's- LifeSci
UBC- Science
purplepheonix
Posted: September 22, 2010 8:12:21 PM

Considering each school can only nominate a limited number of students my guess would be that your principal is the one who has to sign off on the application. But I'm not 100% sure, best to ask Queen's.

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
paramecium
Posted: September 28, 2010 9:49:53 PM

Link to website?

Is it so hard to click "quote" when replying to PMs? It takes forever to check your sent inbox.
Mar
Posted: September 28, 2010 10:02:25 PM

purplepheonix wrote:
Considering each school can only nominate a limited number of students my guess would be that your principal is the one who has to sign off on the application. But I'm not 100% sure, best to ask Queen's.

Each school can nominate only 1 candidate if graduating class has <250 students
hakariyama
Posted: September 28, 2010 10:14:33 PM

Hiii SA quenn's major awards applicants! I'm so excited to apply for these major awards even though i know i have a slim chance of being selected...though that didn't stop me from asking for a nomination from guidance, and it's a go so far smile I just need the principal to confirm unless someone else shows up as a nominee... yes, that means I'm applying for Chancellor's.

As for the original/creative thinking part i might paste some kodak moment pictures on there

Applying to:
Queen's:Kinesiology, Science
UofT: Physical Education and Health/Kinesiology, Physiology
York: Kinesiology
University of Guelph: Applied Science in Kinesiology
jackbaek
Posted: September 28, 2010 10:29:46 PM

Should I still apply for Queens major awards even if Queens is my second choice?

When should we try to ask the school for nominations? I just emailed my VP but maybe its a bit early?

What do they consider most when giving awards? like the essays you write, or ECs, leadership, etc?

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
purplepheonix
Posted: September 30, 2010 6:49:07 PM

jackbaek wrote:
Should I still apply for Queens major awards even if Queens is my second choice?

When should we try to ask the school for nominations? I just emailed my VP but maybe its a bit early?

What do they consider most when giving awards? like the essays you write, or ECs, leadership, etc?

My friends and I were talking about this a while ago. For most of them Queen's is second or third choice. Academically speaking there are one or two that are just slightly ahead of me and would get the nomination over me if they wanted it. They, out of respect for me and others who truely want to go to Queen's, have decided not to go out for the Chancillor's because they feel it is unfair to take the opportunity away from me and others as they will likely not be going to Queen's anyways. They are however planning to apply for some of the other major awards that do not require nomination. I truely appreciate this because to be honest, I think I would be pretty ticked if they applied and I didn't get to and then they just turned around and rejected Queen's.

I would say that now is pretty much exactly the right time to ask for nominations.

I have no idea, except that grades are a pretty big factor and I have been warned by several Queen's representatives to make sure I fully answer the questions they ask.

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
anothernerd
Posted: October 2, 2010 4:15:24 PM

Under the page that states "MAJOR AWARDS, ACADEMIC COMPETITIONS AND CONFERENCES", are we not able to write down art/leadership competions and conferences?
Mar
Posted: October 2, 2010 5:11:44 PM

Where can I get an application form for Chancellor's Scholarship???

Help!!! I can't find it!!!
jackbaek
Posted: October 2, 2010 5:43:00 PM

umm well theres a general major admission awards application at the bottom of this page: Queen's Major Awards

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
purplepheonix
Posted: October 2, 2010 5:55:51 PM

anothernerd wrote:
Under the page that states "MAJOR AWARDS, ACADEMIC COMPETITIONS AND CONFERENCES", are we not able to write down art/leadership competions and conferences?

Well, if you read the actual instructions it says 'Please identify awards, competitions or conferences you have received or participated in...' meaning it is not limited to academics. Furthermore, it goes on to give an example, "Example: York Region President's Council Conference - High School representative". That very same example happens to apply to me, and YRPC is not an academic organization, it is mainly about leadership. So yes, art/leadership competitions should be fine.

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
Mar
Posted: October 5, 2010 11:29:26 PM

I have to compete with 3 other current students for nomination. They will let us know who won only on November 15th frown

Guidance office said that they like my ECs but want to see 92%+ average by November 15th 'cause I already graduated.
Now I need to finish Physics 12 in 1 month!!! frown

How did you ask your principal to nominate you?? What did you tell him? I asked councilor but now I wanna go and talk to the principal.
purplepheonix
Posted: October 6, 2010 9:20:56 PM

Mar wrote:
I have to compete with 3 other current students for nomination. They will let us know who won only on November 15th frown

Guidance office said that they like my ECs but want to see 92%+ average by November 15th 'cause I already graduated.
Now I need to finish Physics 12 in 1 month!!! frown

How did you ask your principal to nominate you?? What did you tell him? I asked councilor but now I wanna go and talk to the principal.

I'm in more or less the same boat. Except that my school can nominate two people and I think there are only two of us going out for it, so things should work out. But they aren't officially letting us know until November 5th. I'm planning to prepare my application anyways. At my school guidance does all the nominations, but I am planning to ask my VP to be my reference as she knows me quite well and is Queen's alumni. So maybe mention it to your principal? They could probably put a word in for you with guidance if they think you would be a good person for the scholarship.

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
je022
Posted: October 11, 2010 10:01:15 PM

...oh the joys of having graduated and the complicated situations we are now in...
how exactly are you supposed to salvage your calc mark from last year if you want early acceptance with the major admissions? loveeee these complexities D:

Queen's Commerce
U of T-Rotman Commerce
McMaster-Degroote
purplepheonix
Posted: October 17, 2010 12:59:32 PM

je022 wrote:
...oh the joys of having graduated and the complicated situations we are now in...
how exactly are you supposed to salvage your calc mark from last year if you want early acceptance with the major admissions? loveeee these complexities D:

Have absolutly stellar first semester marks. You may not be the first of the first, but you'll still have a shot at early acceptance (depending on your program)

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci
Posted: October 22, 2010 9:20:18 PM

Does any past applicants/ winners from last year wanna give us an idea of what they put for the original/creative thinknig part? thanks

Applying to:

Queen's Commerce
Schulich BBA
Economics (AEO) Ivey
Wilfred Laurier BBA
Rotman Commerce
adan10
Posted: October 24, 2010 2:03:15 PM

ok for the average do they just look at top 6?
And is the top 6 the courses u enter for ur program?
So if im planning to apply for civil engineering my average for the scholarships is just based on the prerequisites (calculus,english, physics, data, chemistry and one more optional)
I have 90.17% average on my 6 final
and im apllying to bank of montreal nd dr. iris may marsh memorial award
WHO ELSE IS APPLYING FOR THESE?

Applying to:
McGill: civil engineering
UBC: civil engineering
McMaster: engineering 1
Waterloo: civil engineering
Western: civil engineering and Richard School of Ivey
Queens: engineering
UofT: civil engineering
pumpkin
Posted: October 24, 2010 4:14:17 PM

They ask for a transcript for grades 9-12, so it appears they don't just look at a specific final avg, thought it is 90+ for most of the awards. The EC/community involvement, and referee info are a huge factor in these awards.
purplepheonix
Posted: October 26, 2010 6:24:11 PM

adan10 wrote:
and im apllying to bank of montreal nd dr. iris may marsh memorial award
WHO ELSE IS APPLYING FOR THESE?

90210 wrote:
Does any past applicants/ winners from last year wanna give us an idea of what they put for the original/creative thinknig part? thanks

Mhmm, I've been wondering about this too. More out of curiosity. I've already decided what I'm putting (if I finish it in time!!). I've heard a lot of people do poems or paintings or short stories or photographs. I've even heard of people putting a page of sheet music they wrote or lyrics with chords. Me, well, I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and I have heard of some people who made dresses or something like that and put a picture of thier creation on the aplication. I went a little more old school with my sewing tallents. I won't say exactly what that means, but I figure designing and making something original based on mythology using techniques mostly only old ladies know and use now is pretty original and I'm really hoping that that section is what sets me apart. Anyone else figured out what they want to do and give us some hints? This could be a fun guessing game, and we can all say what we did for the creative and original thinking section after the submition deadline.

Hey, simple things amuse me okay? smile

Applying to:
Queen's ConEd
Trent ConEd
Queen's Art/Sci