We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Schulich BBA/iBBA 2011 Applicants Options
amhsirak
Posted: September 16, 2010 10:06:52 PM

Groups: Member

Vertex wrote:
Singh wrote:
tipsymcfragger wrote:
BowieSwindle wrote:
I'm a 2014 student currently going to schulich. I remember how often I used to check the SA forums, so I thought I'd return the favour and answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask anything.

ya im a 2014 aswell anyone can feel free to ask my questions

I have the same question as before big grin, how is the atmosphere at Schulich... and what average did u get in with, thanks

The atmosphere at Schulich? Its filled with the stench of curry.

I spot a douche bag up top. Don't you have anything to do at Queens, other than bash Schulich? Pathetic.

Success Bound

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Schulich iBBA
Ivey AEO+BMOS
Queens Commerce
Laurier BBA
Ryerson Commerce

McGill Desautels? Perhaps...
Alpha
Posted: September 16, 2010 10:07:41 PM

None of you guys are even in university yet...stop bashing without facts.
BXPE14
Posted: September 16, 2010 10:25:55 PM

Alpha wrote:

and when was the last time Brock produced a BB hedge fund analyst?

answer: never.
tipsymcfragger
Posted: September 16, 2010 11:15:06 PM

Singh wrote:
tipsymcfragger wrote:
BowieSwindle wrote:
I'm a 2014 student currently going to schulich. I remember how often I used to check the SA forums, so I thought I'd return the favour and answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask anything.

I have the same question as before big grin, how is the atmosphere at Schulich... and what average did u get in with, thanks

The atmosphere is pretty legit i've met alot of really cool people who certainly do not fit the Schulich stereotype that people on this forum seem to constantly bring up. Sure you have the random kids who you seen in your tutorials that you never see again but they are greatly in the minority. Overall I would say I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere it was really sick. Also I got in with a 96 average, which dropped to 95 on the dot by the end of the year.
Vertex
Posted: September 17, 2010 1:50:37 AM

BXPE14 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Point taken. Note even an analyst...

QUEEN'S B.Sc. MATHEMATICS & ECONOMICS 2014
QUEEN'S COMMERCE 2014

Vertex
Posted: September 17, 2010 1:58:00 AM

amhsirak wrote:
Vertex wrote:
Singh wrote:
tipsymcfragger wrote:
BowieSwindle wrote:

The atmosphere at Schulich? Its filled with the stench of curry.

Don't you have anything to do at Queens, other than bash Schulich? Pathetic.

You're right. My attempt tp bash shoe-lick (note the lower case) is fairly redundant. That "institution" almost bashes itself with its affiliation to York "university", awful location (jane'n'finch), fobby student body & faculty, pathetic OCR... I could go on forever. Have fun making 50K a year upon graduation (if you're lucky). My only advice- Regardless of your gender, practice sucking dick, cause your life prospects is almost entirely contingent on it as a future schulich grad. G'day.

QUEEN'S B.Sc. MATHEMATICS & ECONOMICS 2014
QUEEN'S COMMERCE 2014

Alpha
Posted: September 17, 2010 8:34:00 PM

BXPE14 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I'm applying to transfer to Ivey fyi. I didn't say Brock was any good, and 2. I'm in the accounting program, not BBA.

3. You're sh.it. Stop dreaming about making it big.
EC
Posted: September 17, 2010 11:33:02 PM

Honestly guys, just STFU.

Really. Cuz I bet there's many people like me who just want to get some information about schulich and see what other people have to say about it and it's not really a good way to spend my time trying to sort through the junk that you guys post on this forum.

If you have nothing good to say, don't say it. If you want to go promote Queen's Commerce or Ivey, go create your own thread.

And in reality, I bet only one of us out of the many people on this forum who will make it big. Think about it. Not everyone spends 24/7 on the computer on this forum like you people who try and prove which university is best. There are people actually out there, doing stuff benefiting their communities, who WILL end up more successful than you.

So go, get your asses off your couch and do something more productive other than trying to bash other people.

Thank you.

Applying to:
AFM-PA
Queen's Commerce
Laurier BBA
Others

soccerstar6
Posted: September 18, 2010 9:50:22 AM

EC wrote:
Honestly guys, just STFU.

Really. Cuz I bet there's many people like me who just want to get some information about schulich and see what other people have to say about it and it's not really a good way to spend my time trying to sort through the junk that you guys post on this forum.

If you have nothing good to say, don't say it. If you want to go promote Queen's Commerce or Ivey, go create your own thread.

And in reality, I bet only one of us out of the many people on this forum who will make it big. Think about it. Not everyone spends 24/7 on the computer on this forum like you people who try and prove which university is best. There are people actually out there, doing stuff benefiting their communities, who WILL end up more successful than you.

So go, get your asses off your couch and do something more productive other than trying to bash other people.

Thank you.

+1000000
Singh
Posted: September 18, 2010 12:07:37 PM

quadrant wrote:
There’s some people who are going to Ivey here, and yes, congratulations, however, I just wanted to share with you some of my thoughts before you make that final decision.

Last year, I got accepted into Ivey and Schulich. I also applied to queens, but didn’t get in. I chose Schulich over Ivey, and boy, did I make the right choice. Going to Ivey is a huge rip-off; you may not feel like it at first, but Ivey at the end of the day is a school for MBAs, not a school for undergrads.

Here's a few of my points about going to Ivey:

A) The degree you get from graduating from Ivey is a Honours Bachelor of Arts (HBA). Seriously, you’re paying like double to get an Arts degree on Honours Business Administration. If your parents can afford it, great, but in reality, if you are going to go abroad to anywhere outside North America, recruiters are going to see this and it’d be a huge waste of money. Ivey has done well to hide that in their marketing, but if you ask them straight up, they will eventually tell you that its an Arts Degree you're getting (with the University of Western Ontario printed on it).

B) Ivey is a 2 year program, not a 4 year program. Most of the stuff you learn in third year at Ivey you learn in first and second year in 4 year program like Schulich. By the time you start third year, an Schulich 3rd year (or Queen’s or wherever you go) is in a much better position than a Ivey third year.

C) A lot of people on this forum talks about jobs, co-op, internships, etc. Well, students who are in AEO in first and second year do not receive career support from Ivey like they do from Schulich. All those job postings, benefits, etc are all stuff you get in year 3 and 4, not in year 1 or 2.

D) If you decide to go on exchange, Ivey is definitely not a good choice for that. Again, it’s about what you pay for vs. what you get. If you go on exchange to Mexico or Europe or wherever, you are losing half a year of Ivey which is 25% of the program. Why would you do that? At Schulich if you go on exchange you only lose 12.5% of the program.

E) Ivey says that they have electives and they have diverse classes, etc because you are in another program in year 1 and 2. In reality, you’d be taking arts or social science courses like every other “regular dude” in class sizes of 400 to 500, or even bigger, in year 1 or 2. Most people who go to Ivey start with BMOS, and the entering average of BMOS is not high at all – how would you find year 1 and 2 challenging when you’re in a class full of regular non-achieving students? Again, I’d rather be paying my money to go straight into a business program that has 300 or whatever (less if you’re in iBBA) students in the ENTIRE program. Just look at how many offers they are making to try get lots of people to get in - and they are even increasing their program size to 500 students?

F) Lastly, Ivey has no huge advantage these days anymore. Maybe 10 years ago they do, but lets get serious here. Everyone has case-based courses, everyone does cases, every school has a great career centre (especially at Schulich and Queen’s), and the top schools like Schulich and Queen’s are highly selective in admissions. We at Schulich also have smaller classes than Ivey’s class sizes of 75, and that’s just in third year. Classes get even smaller when you go up. Just look at the Ivey website… just look at it – it disgusts me that they use simple marketing campaigns to make their program look complex while it’s offered everywhere else. “Ivey Select (TM)”, “Ivey Immersion (TM)”, “Ivey Environment (TM)”, “Ivey Career View (TM)”. It’s a huge marketing scam and really they’re just trying to make you think you’re making a good investment while in the meantime they are getting your money to fund their MBA or executive programs.

You may disagree with some of my points, and that’s totally fine. But I just want to let you know that last year I was in the same position of many of you guys: Ivey vs. Schulich (or maybe for some other people its ivey vs queens or ivey vs. mcgill or ivey vs. laurier), and I almost chose Ivey – and I’m glad I didn’t. If I chose Ivey I would’ve been sitting without a proper job for the summer right now. I would not have been able to meet some really great people in my classes – hell I might still be drifting off in geography or psychology or some other useless subject. And I also think there’s a reason why people on the forums who chose to go to Ivey don’t post here… I think it’s because they feel ripped off and are little too embarrassed to come back. Schulich, Queen’s, McGill, Laurier are great schools and you need to really consider all your cards that is available to you.

Think before you make your decisions… think… think… think… it’s a huge decision and I know a few of my friends at UWO who was on the Ivey track are already kind of not happy about their decision. Don’t regret your choice.

Read this Ivey ppl
mkhan_mvp
Posted: September 18, 2010 3:35:42 PM

oh wow you 2011 applicants are serious eh? started up the forum already

anyways im really busy with work and stuff but i love to help prospective students... PM me any questions... ill check like tomorrow or something

good luck fellas big grin

Schulich School of Business
Bachelor of Business Administration
Class of 2014
imsyed
Posted: September 20, 2010 8:19:30 AM

^ I have read that post.. it was followed by one from an HBA that seemed pretty convincing too..
all i know is that the more i try to figure it out the more confused i get..

Well now.. there is a talking point..

What is this thing with bell curves at schulich could someone please explain ??

From Cradle to the Grave!

Applied to :

1.Schulich School of business
2.Richard Ivey School of business / BMOS
3.Desautels Faculty of management
4.Rotman Business School

soccerstar6
Posted: September 20, 2010 6:59:00 PM

imsyed wrote:
What is this thing with bell curves at schulich could someone please explain ??

Yeah..I am wondering the same.
Alpha
Posted: September 20, 2010 7:04:38 PM

They bell curve the marks down, so that very few people have >80 average, very few people have >85.

It's just what I heard, don't quote me on this.
Singh
Posted: September 20, 2010 7:24:51 PM

Alpha
Posted: September 20, 2010 8:57:41 PM

It means you have to get 100 to get 85.
ssssd1
Posted: September 20, 2010 10:01:56 PM

highschoolers ^^;

So far I have only seen 1 bell curve in my 1st year stats class, and it was bell curved up. (midterm avg was like 50s) They just make the test moderately difficult so the average ends up being around 70s.

If you are smart and have good time management you can get more than 100% in actg exams. Trust me, my friend did it.

If u are in say, western, you are compeiting vs 700 other students in your class, and most of them are idiots. Thus, prof hands out easy exams. On the other hand, all schulichers are 90%+ students and they have to make the tests are to ensure 70s class average.

Therefore, if you are smart and on the top of your work, you can get 8.0 GPA. PS there are a few idiots who took private schools to get into schulich.
a.than
Posted: September 20, 2010 11:08:36 PM

iBBA (hopefully)

Applying to: AFM-PA | Schulich iBBA | (maybe) Ivey BMOS, Rotman BComm, Laurier BBA
Singh
Posted: September 21, 2010 7:39:40 AM

ssssd1 wrote:
highschoolers ^^;

So far I have only seen 1 bell curve in my 1st year stats class, and it was bell curved up. (midterm avg was like 50s) They just make the test moderately difficult so the average ends up being around 70s.

If you are smart and have good time management you can get more than 100% in actg exams. Trust me, my friend did it.

If u are in say, western, you are compeiting vs 700 other students in your class, and most of them are idiots. Thus, prof hands out easy exams. On the other hand, all schulichers are 90%+ students and they have to make the tests are to ensure 70s class average.

Therefore, if you are smart and on the top of your work, you can get 8.0 GPA. PS there are a few idiots who took private schools to get into schulich.

Thanks, that should make the "ivey" ppl be quiet....
imsyed
Posted: September 21, 2010 8:13:13 AM

Separating the sheep..

The nerds and the intelligent ??

From Cradle to the Grave!

Applied to :

1.Schulich School of business
2.Richard Ivey School of business / BMOS
3.Desautels Faculty of management
4.Rotman Business School