We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Waterloo- Is it convenient to have a Mac for programming. Options
Zergy
Posted: August 15, 2010 3:23:45 PM
Groups: Member

I am going into Computer Engineering at Waterloo. As a computer engineer wannabe, I have to take courses in programming. I heard (not sure about this) that the school's computer rooms use macs. So, my question is, would it be more convenient to have a mac as a personal laptop? Is it easy to transfer the programming files between the school macs and a windows laptop or would a mac save me a lot of hassle. Sorry, for the strange question.
the.purple.engineer
Posted: August 16, 2010 11:27:55 PM

I doubt they use Mac OS X in their computer labs. Computer "programming" labs are going to be running Linux (most likely Red Hat Enterprise 4). Minority of computer labs will probably use Windows XP.
Anyways, majority of computer labs are going to be running Linux. Mac works better with Linux (than Windows with Linux) if you know how to use it properly. If you don't, it doesn't matter what you get, Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix... it won't make a difference.

- Paul ECE 1T1 T1 University of Toronto
ushafiq
Posted: August 17, 2010 6:04:54 PM

From what I recall hearing, there is some coding done in C#. Visual Studio is currently unavailable for OS X to the extent of my knowledge. Labs should be available in the event that you need a program which hasn't been ported over to the mac, or you can go ahead and buy something like VMWare or Parallels for your Mac. Bootcamp is also available.
Soro
Posted: August 17, 2010 8:11:11 PM

There are mac labs on the 3rd floor (there are also linux/windows labs on the 2nd and 3rd floor). First-year programming courses involve Scheme and C, the former of which is available using DrScheme for all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux), while the latter requires you to tunnel to the LINUX servers to code in the environment that they require.

Buying a mac would not save you a hassle of transferring files. Just stick stuff on USB and transfer to lab computer. Actually, you don't even have to use the lab computers if you don't want to, since you can upload directly to your account online and submit online. It just comes down to if you want to pay a premium for Mac and learn another operating system (you could learn linux instead. smile ).

Waterloo Math/CA - 2014
ushafiq
Posted: August 17, 2010 8:20:30 PM

Soro wrote:
There are mac labs on the 3rd floor (there are also linux/windows labs on the 2nd and 3rd floor). First-year programming courses involve Scheme and C, the former of which is available using DrScheme for all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux), while the latter requires you to tunnel to the LINUX servers to code in the environment that they require.

Buying a mac would not save you a hassle of transferring files. Just stick stuff on USB and transfer to lab computer. Actually, you don't even have to use the lab computers if you don't want to, since you can upload directly to your account online and submit online. It just comes down to if you want to pay a premium for Mac and learn another operating system (you could learn linux instead. smile ).

He's in engineering, his programming courses probably won't be in MC nor will they be the same as CS / Mathies.
Soro
Posted: August 17, 2010 8:22:46 PM

Oops. Only read 'want to take courses in programming'. smile

I've seen one lab in the basement of RCH. They were not macs. <__<

Waterloo Math/CA - 2014