We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

employment Options
MashedPotato
Posted: August 13, 2010 7:40:04 PM
Groups: Member

a genius on this forum (won't mention names becuase that's mean) told me that employers from companies where they require at least an undergraduate degree rank personality as number one when hiring someone. Is this true? should i just try to pass everything and work on my personality instead?
ederthree
Posted: August 13, 2010 8:16:36 PM

MashedPotato wrote:
a genius on this forum (won't mention names becuase that's mean) told me that employers from companies where they require at least an undergraduate degree rank personality as number one when hiring someone. Is this true? should i just try to pass everything and work on my personality instead?

Bad grades aren't going to get you anywhere.

Good grades + good personality gets you the job.
aqazwsx1
Posted: August 13, 2010 9:06:53 PM

ederthree wrote:
MashedPotato wrote:

and hence, the so called "genius" status given by the OP to the unknown person is valid. Grades + Personality=job.
MashedPotato
Posted: August 13, 2010 10:20:21 PM

aqazwsx1 wrote:
ederthree wrote:
MashedPotato wrote:

and hence, the so called "genius" status given by the OP to the unknown person is valid. Grades + Personality=job.

he said employers rarely look at grades. personality is number one on their list. they only care about if you passed or not. so no difference between passing and honor?
ederthree
Posted: August 13, 2010 11:20:01 PM

If you're going for a job that pays 30k a year...that sounds about right.
O. Tannenbaum
Posted: August 13, 2010 11:34:47 PM

Depends on the job, really. You can't be a professor without excellent grades, even if you have the best personality in the world.

University of Toronto '11
piddledy
Posted: August 14, 2010 10:50:31 AM

and i don't really see how you can't pick up a good personality like in a semester or something. just be positive, smile at people, tell good stories and jokes....aint rocket science, yo angel
MashedPotato
Posted: August 14, 2010 11:29:55 AM

piddledy wrote:
and i don't really see how you can't pick up a good personality like in a semester or something. just be positive, smile at people, tell good stories and jokes....aint rocket science, yo angel

never said i have bad personality but not as good as ellen degenerus'
LawStudent
Posted: August 14, 2010 12:16:44 PM

That's obviously a false ideological myth you're thinking of...

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law 2011
ederthree
Posted: August 14, 2010 1:57:30 PM

I agree with ARMY101. If you're applying for a decent job against another 100 applicants, no one is going to hire you on a basis of 50-60's average and a good personality.

It's easier to improve grades than personality. It's not hard to see through fakes.
piddledy
Posted: August 14, 2010 3:11:46 PM

dude i bet like half of those 100 have the personality to get through. it probably comes down to accomplishments and previous work experience, and you know, knowledge of whatever field
aqazwsx1
Posted: August 17, 2010 10:34:17 PM

MashedPotato wrote:
aqazwsx1 wrote:
ederthree wrote:
MashedPotato wrote:

he said employers rarely look at grades. personality is number one on their list. they only care about if you passed or not. so no difference between passing and honor?

that depends on the job you want. Good jobs require both and other attributes.
KeVan
Posted: August 20, 2010 10:26:45 PM

Personality leads to grades. But grades don't normally lead to personality, unfortunately.
Horrorshow!
Posted: August 21, 2010 2:33:26 AM

KeVan wrote:
Personality leads to grades.

How?
piddledy
Posted: August 21, 2010 12:08:03 PM

yeah, i think personality usually leads to the realization that grades arent that important! if we're talking like outgoing extroverted personality, that is
MashedPotato
Posted: August 23, 2010 4:38:19 PM

KeVan wrote:
Personality leads to grades. But grades don't normally lead to personality, unfortunately.

how does personality lead to grades? lol
i'm talking about uni, not high school.
ederthree
Posted: August 23, 2010 4:44:48 PM

Well, if your personality is hard working, organized, motivated, etc....you're likely to have good grades.

Good grades can also lead to certain personalities (i.e. cockiness, douche-baggery, egotistic, etc)
Hamletmachine
Posted: August 23, 2010 7:05:48 PM

^ Good grades earn bragging rights. But this does cross into douchebaggery.

I AM THE EGGMAN! THEY ARE THE EGGMEN! I AM THE WALRUS!

HT
Posted: August 24, 2010 2:08:57 AM

MashedPotato wrote:
aqazwsx1 wrote:
ederthree wrote:
MashedPotato wrote:

Oh yeah? I've heard a lot of people I know who work for reputable companies saying that recruitment usually separates applications based on GPA and from there, narrow it down based on other factors (personality, accolades, etc.).

Maybe that doesn't apply to all employers, but it's better to be prepared either way. Thinking that personality alone will get you hired is BS. It aint happening.
ederthree
Posted: August 24, 2010 7:59:53 AM

If you have graduating GPA of sub 3.0, you betta start learning how to flip burgers.