We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Semestered High Schools vs. Non Semestered HS Options
ismahanali
Posted: July 21, 2010 11:02:45 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/14/2010
Posts: 13
Location: nunya
I'm thinking about transferring to a semestered school for my Senior year, it's been suggested to me by a lot of people I know. However, I'm pretty confused about how the University application process works at a semestered school. I understand that they only take 4 classes per semester, so how do they send "Top 6" grades if they only take 4 classes per semester? Do they apply for University at a different time than non-semestered schools, and is it in fact "easier" then a non-semestered school"

Thanks in advance for the advice
jonv112
Posted: July 21, 2010 11:26:08 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/4/2010
Posts: 73
Location: Toronto, ON/New Haven, CT
Universities will look at your first semester finals and second semester midterms which are usually sent mid-April. You may get offers earlier than that depending on which courses you had first semester, your Grade 11 marks, etc.
HopefulUniGirl
Posted: July 22, 2010 12:56:08 AM

Rank: Président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/8/2009
Posts: 2,334
Location: On This Forum
ismahanali wrote:
I'm thinking about transferring to a semestered school for my Senior year, it's been suggested to me by a lot of people I know. However, I'm pretty confused about how the University application process works at a semestered school. I understand that they only take 4 classes per semester, so how do they send "Top 6" grades if they only take 4 classes per semester? Do they apply for University at a different time than non-semestered schools, and is it in fact "easier" then a non-semestered school"

Thanks in advance for the advice


I come from a nonsemestered schools. I had most of my friends leave for semestered school. Every single one said that had it easier, not only because it was semestered but teacher had low expectation than my school razz

McMaster- Electrical and Biomedical Engineering Class of 2015


..has sadly made the transition over to MacInsiders
phoenixflame
Posted: July 22, 2010 12:37:57 PM

Rank: Membre du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/1/2010
Posts: 452
ismahanali wrote:
I'm thinking about transferring to a semestered school for my Senior year, it's been suggested to me by a lot of people I know. However, I'm pretty confused about how the University application process works at a semestered school. I understand that they only take 4 classes per semester, so how do they send "Top 6" grades if they only take 4 classes per semester? Do they apply for University at a different time than non-semestered schools, and is it in fact "easier" then a non-semestered school"

Thanks in advance for the advice


I personally found it easier to get better marks at a non-semestered school , justa sayin you dont have to do finals for some courses in december
jackbaek
Posted: July 22, 2010 4:30:32 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2010
Posts: 188
Location: ottawa
I'm in a non-semestered school and every single other school in my school board is semestered.
They both have pros and cons. I actually think non-semestered is a bit easier UNTIL you get to may and june when all 8 summatives and exams start flowing in.. but hopefully I'll get accepted into uni by then so i don't have to worry TOO much

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
phoenixflame
Posted: July 22, 2010 4:33:44 PM

Rank: Membre du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/1/2010
Posts: 452
jackbaek wrote:
I'm in a non-semestered school and every single other school in my school board is semestered.
They both have pros and cons. I actually think non-semestered is a bit easier UNTIL you get to may and june when all 8 summatives and exams start flowing in.. but hopefully I'll get accepted into uni by then so i don't have to worry TOO much



yea thats the thing, ur marks will be higher during the acceptance period, exams you just have to do alright
victoire
Posted: July 24, 2010 1:26:03 AM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/3/2010
Posts: 192
Location: Oooh
jackbaek wrote:
I'm in a non-semestered school and every single other school in my school board is semestered.
They both have pros and cons. I actually think non-semestered is a bit easier UNTIL you get to may and june when all 8 summatives and exams start flowing in.. but hopefully I'll get accepted into uni by then so i don't have to worry TOO much


Do you get high 90s in non semestered schools?
Actually Ive never heard of non semestered school in Ottawa. Are you in IB class?
ismahanali
Posted: July 25, 2010 10:16:19 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/14/2010
Posts: 13
Location: nunya
Hmm, so they really aren't beneficial at all huh?
jackbaek
Posted: July 26, 2010 4:18:21 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2010
Posts: 188
Location: ottawa
victoire wrote:
jackbaek wrote:
I'm in a non-semestered school and every single other school in my school board is semestered.
They both have pros and cons. I actually think non-semestered is a bit easier UNTIL you get to may and june when all 8 summatives and exams start flowing in.. but hopefully I'll get accepted into uni by then so i don't have to worry TOO much


Do you get high 90s in non semestered schools?
Actually Ive never heard of non semestered school in Ottawa. Are you in IB class?


Yepp I'm in IB at Colonel By. yea usually ppl's marks are pretty high until the all the exams and summatives bring it down a couple %. for me, exams usually bring it up a bit though that's just me.

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
victoire
Posted: July 26, 2010 8:16:50 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/3/2010
Posts: 192
Location: Oooh
jackbaek wrote:

Yepp I'm in IB at Colonel By. yea usually ppl's marks are pretty high until the all the exams and summatives bring it down a couple %. for me, exams usually bring it up a bit though that's just me.


Oh. Alright. I only know 1 person from Colonel By.
greenness
Posted: July 29, 2010 12:27:45 AM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/28/2010
Posts: 175
Location: Ontario
ismahanali wrote:
and is it in fact "easier" then a non-semestered school"

Thanks in advance for the advice


I personally think semestered is a reallyyyy good idea especially if you might want to change your idea about dropping a course or taking a different one. I knew someone who used to take science courses first semester in grade 12 after realizing she hated science. She's doing sociology in uni now.

Also, semestered courses are good in the sense that if you fail a course you can take it the next semester. AND teachers usually can't finish the entire book in 5 months, so less of a load at the end of the year. big grin I'm positive semestered is better. UNLESS you're in like.. a musical band and don't have a lot of time for school or something. You know. Those extracurricular activities that keep you from work.
jackbaek
Posted: July 30, 2010 10:22:12 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2010
Posts: 188
Location: ottawa
well i've only experienced a non-semestered school so i can't really compare.. but how about subjects like english? In my school i read about 5-7 books every year and I can't possibly imagine reading all of that in only 5 months! i would have to read for like 2 hours every single day. (well i guess not everybody actually 'reads' the books.. just go on sparknotes xD )

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
victoire
Posted: August 2, 2010 3:04:15 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/3/2010
Posts: 192
Location: Oooh
jackbaek wrote:
well i've only experienced a non-semestered school so i can't really compare.. but how about subjects like english? In my school i read about 5-7 books every year and I can't possibly imagine reading all of that in only 5 months! i would have to read for like 2 hours every single day. (well i guess not everybody actually 'reads' the books.. just go on sparknotes xD )


You read only 3 books. It breaks down like this, at least in my school.
For Grade 11:


Crosswords (not sure wats its called) - a reference about short stories and poems that we would have to read and analyze
Brave New World - novel we have to study and analyze and discuss with the teacher
Macbeth - same as BNW
jackbaek
Posted: August 2, 2010 5:06:28 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2010
Posts: 188
Location: ottawa
ah ok i guess we read more books since we have more time. i read 7 book last year in grade 11. it was horrible x.x
and i think every school reads different books too.

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
Roberto
Posted: August 2, 2010 5:27:40 PM

Rank: Membre du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/7/2009
Posts: 451
Location: Ontario
jackbaek wrote:
ah ok i guess we read more books since we have more time. i read 7 book last year in grade 11. it was horrible x.x
and i think every school reads different books too.

we read close to that much in my semestered school for grade 11 english
we read othello, a separate peace, flowers for algernon, animal farm, hedda gabbler (a play), all of my sons (a play), and we had to write a comparative analysis on a fiction and non-fiction book so that's another two books (i did mine on 1984 and Propaganda and persuasion)
it was a lot of work, especially since we did maybe 3 weeks of analyzing short stories as well, but it's possible even in a semestered school

Applied to: Windsor Electrical Engineering, U of T Engineering Track One, and McMaster Engineering Physics
Attending: U of T Track One
victoire
Posted: August 2, 2010 11:26:15 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/3/2010
Posts: 192
Location: Oooh
Roberto wrote:
jackbaek wrote:
ah ok i guess we read more books since we have more time. i read 7 book last year in grade 11. it was horrible x.x
and i think every school reads different books too.

we read close to that much in my semestered school for grade 11 english
we read othello, a separate peace, flowers for algernon, animal farm, hedda gabbler (a play), all of my sons (a play), and we had to write a comparative analysis on a fiction and non-fiction book so that's another two books (i did mine on 1984 and Propaganda and persuasion)
it was a lot of work, especially since we did maybe 3 weeks of analyzing short stories as well, but it's possible even in a semestered school


Glad Im not in your school then.
victoire
Posted: August 2, 2010 11:27:15 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/3/2010
Posts: 192
Location: Oooh
jackbaek wrote:
ah ok i guess we read more books since we have more time. i read 7 book last year in grade 11. it was horrible x.x
and i think every school reads different books too.



Are you from Colonel By? And have you decided if youre going to a semestered school yet?
jackbaek
Posted: August 3, 2010 9:15:26 AM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2010
Posts: 188
Location: ottawa
victoire wrote:
jackbaek wrote:
ah ok i guess we read more books since we have more time. i read 7 book last year in grade 11. it was horrible x.x
and i think every school reads different books too.

Are you from Colonel By? And have you decided if youre going to a semestered school yet?


yep I'm from Colonel By. and no i think your confusing me for someone else who is deciding on switching schools..?
lol im just staying right where i am in the IB program xD

what school do you go to?

Applying to:
Waterloo: Math/CA
Queens: Science (Math)
Toronto: Mathematical Applications in Economics and Finance
victoire
Posted: August 3, 2010 3:17:38 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/3/2010
Posts: 192
Location: Oooh
jackbaek wrote:

yep I'm from Colonel By. and no i think your confusing me for someone else who is deciding on switching schools..?
lol im just staying right where i am in the IB program xD

what school do you go to?


LOL >.<" My bad.
I go to John McCrae. Dunno if you've heard of it?
Roberto
Posted: August 3, 2010 5:18:33 PM

Rank: Membre du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/7/2009
Posts: 451
Location: Ontario
victoire wrote:
Roberto wrote:
jackbaek wrote:
ah ok i guess we read more books since we have more time. i read 7 book last year in grade 11. it was horrible x.x
and i think every school reads different books too.

we read close to that much in my semestered school for grade 11 english
we read othello, a separate peace, flowers for algernon, animal farm, hedda gabbler (a play), all of my sons (a play), and we had to write a comparative analysis on a fiction and non-fiction book so that's another two books (i did mine on 1984 and Propaganda and persuasion)
it was a lot of work, especially since we did maybe 3 weeks of analyzing short stories as well, but it's possible even in a semestered school


Glad Im not in your school then.

yeah, it kind of sucked, we did usually 3 essay questions a day (answers being usually 3/4 of a page to a page long) and the class median was around a 65 i think?

Applied to: Windsor Electrical Engineering, U of T Engineering Track One, and McMaster Engineering Physics
Attending: U of T Track One


Forum Jump

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2008 studentawards.com & boursetudes.com - Studentawards Inc. All rights reserved.