We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

QUEENS PSE-What Did You Write? Options
alongthewatchtower
Posted: May 21, 2008 6:19:13 PM

Groups: Member

What did you write for your Queens PSE? I'l be applying to Queens this coming year and I'm kinda curious about the Queen's PSE. I know it is basically everything you do outside of your academics, but do they want it in essay form? or list form?
Do part-time jobs count? Are certain activities 'better' then others? etc!
feelinkindagood
Posted: May 21, 2008 6:24:49 PM

They tell you EVERYTHING once you applysmile You basically fill it out online and talk about everything you do outside of school and why that makes you a good candidate for Queen's. Before the actual paragraph answer, you fill out two examples of work experience, long-term commitment, etc.

University of Toronto 2012
alongthewatchtower
Posted: May 21, 2008 6:28:53 PM

ok thank you!
so student council for 3 years so far possibly prez next year. treasurer this year.
plus other council experience
rugby last year
work-part time job for 2 years so far
teaches skiing for 2 years so far
that would all be applicable?

if we received any awards would that fit in as well?

sorry i know i'm asking a lot but, if your grades are high enough will your PSE even matter?
(I'm applying to arts)
feelinkindagood
Posted: May 21, 2008 6:33:43 PM

Yeah, work experience counts, long-term commitment example, extra currics, volunteer experience, they ask for two major awards you have won. Sounds like you have everything they will be looking for and then some. And I doubt your PSE can really bring you down as long as you have decent marks, for Arts anything over 80% pretty much. good luck !

poppy1337
Posted: May 21, 2008 7:43:00 PM

Make sure your EC imply that you are an all rounded candidate.

Queen's Commerce 2012
mod_it
Posted: May 21, 2008 7:49:09 PM

feelinkindagood wrote:
Yeah, work experience counts, long-term commitment example, extra currics, volunteer experience, they ask for two major awards you have won. Sounds like you have everything they will be looking for and then some. And I doubt your PSE can really bring you down as long as you have decent marks, for Arts anything over 80% pretty much. good luck !

Is it absolutely necessary to a have won two major awards? Without it, would it kill your PSE?
What about if an applicant just had a few minor ones? sleep
Elusive
Posted: May 21, 2008 7:54:40 PM

Try getting the Chancellors scholarship recommendation from your school. You wouldn't need to fill out a PSE once you fill out the scholarship form. The scholarship application allows you more room to express who you are, wut you have done, etc.

Queen's Commerce '12
feelinkindagood
Posted: May 21, 2008 7:59:47 PM

mod_it wrote:
feelinkindagood wrote:

Is it absolutely necessary to a have won two major awards? Without it, would it kill your PSE?
What about if an applicant just had a few minor ones? sleep

No, it won't kill your PSE and they can be minor. I know people who got in leaving one of the two spaces blank, and the other just saying "Honour Roll [years]"
They have to be academic awards if i didn't mention that.

electricpearls
Posted: May 21, 2008 8:28:33 PM

Elusive: Do you think I could have a slightly better chance with the Chancellor's application compared to the PSE? I plan on getting the nomination from my school later this year.
Pinku
Posted: May 21, 2008 8:49:09 PM

electricpearls wrote:
Elusive: Do you think I could have a slightly better chance with the Chancellor's application compared to the PSE? I plan on getting the nomination from my school later this year.

The Chancellor is much harder, they ask for 3 long essays (like 1000 as opposed to 250 for PSE if i remember correctly), as well as reference letters and a much more extensive form. My application was 15 pages long. =) Plus each school is only allowed to nominate a max of 3 people depending on graduating class size.

UWO 2012
Elusive
Posted: May 21, 2008 8:52:44 PM

electricpearls wrote:

I got in this way. I don't see how the application can hurt you: you give more extensive information, your acceptance, even if you don't get the scholarship, takes priority over the regular pool (you get accepted in late March. Pretty cool considering how everyone else is anxious for responses at that time of the year), you are recognized as 1 of the top 3 in your school's pool of applicants, you have recommendations, and you have credibility for your EC (as they are approved by school counselor).

Pinku wrote:
electricpearls wrote:

The Chancellor is much harder, they ask for 3 long essays (like 1000 as opposed to 250 for PSE if i remember correctly), as well as reference letters and a much more extensive form. My application was 15 pages long. =) Plus each school is only allowed to nominate a max of 3 people depending on graduating class size.

True, but what is more important, an extra workload (on top of 3 years of hard work) or getting into the university? In the worst case scenerio, you don't get nominated from your high school. So what? If you dont get nominated, just fill out a PSE like everyone else. Queen's doesnt have to know about the nomination.

Queen's Commerce '12
electricpearls
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:02:56 PM

Thanks, Elusive! And I'm still sure I'll be able to get a nomination. Most kids in my school don't even know about Queen's in the first place... ha ha.
What grades do they take into consideration for it? And is it okay that I have more community involvement than school involvement?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions!

Pinku: If you don't mind my asking, where in Calgary do you go to school? I live in Calgary as well (I go to CHHS... elaboration needed? It's kind of one of the uh... ghetto-er schools, not as bad as Fowler/Forest Lawn though).
Elusive
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:08:35 PM

electricpearls wrote:
Thanks, Elusive! And I'm still sure I'll be able to get a nomination. Most kids in my school don't even know about Queen's in the first place... ha ha.
What grades do they take into consideration for it? And is it okay that I have more community involvement than school involvement?

90%+ in your averages, I think.

I dunno whether Queen's care about what sort of things you're more heavily involved in. I see no reason for bias, personally.
Crescent Heights is a dec high school IMO lol.

Queen's Commerce '12
NEM99
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:08:41 PM

alongthewatchtower wrote:
What did you write for your Queens PSE? I'l be applying to Queens this coming year and I'm kinda curious about the Queen's PSE. I know it is basically everything you do outside of your academics, but do they want it in essay form? or list form?
Do part-time jobs count? Are certain activities 'better' then others? etc!

What are you applying for?

Taiyab wrote: Is it me, or is Karla Homolka gorgeous!

Lamoid wrote: SHE HAS A KILLER BODY.
Miss
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:14:38 PM

the pse is different for each faculty. I applied to science honours, and to engineering, wrote PSEs for both and got accepted to both.
They were overall, very similar in what they were asking, but the engineering one was much better organized.
They have a sample one up for some faculties too, and the questions are generally about your extra-curriculars and personal experiences and such lol.
I kinda joked around on my sciences one, (like professional joking btw, not like your mom jokes), and I think it's good to show that you aren't lacking in a soul, and that you will be able to be a part of the queens social atmosphere, instead of sitting in your room all day/night.

Queen's Engineering 2012
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:17:48 PM

electricpearls wrote:

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions!

Pinku: If you don't mind my asking, where in Calgary do you go to school? I live in Calgary as well (I go to CHHS... elaboration needed? It's kind of one of the uh... ghetto-er schools, not as bad as Fowler/Forest Lawn though).

Hahaha, Forest Lawn. XD Sorry, habit. Wait, CHHS like Cresent Heights?? I heard you guys have some damn fine looking asian guys there. XD

I go Churchill.... that's right I'm one of those hardcore IB kids. Us and Western fighting it out all the time =P

They don't say a cutoff average or anything like that, but they are expecting 90+. They have separate sections for school and community activities, for me I was more heavily school based though I still had a bunch of outside of school ECs. The only thing I was missing was sports and competitions...which looks bad because the page is blank-ish.

Calgary NW always get 1 Chancellors awarded, Churchill has gotten it for 5 years in a row except this year (damn our year sucks). This year my friend from Aberhart got it. I'm not sure about the stats for Calgary as a whole tho.....

@Elusive: What you said was true, not saying that Chancellor should be bypassed completely. I mean, I tried for it but I didn't get into Queens with it, so.....

UWO 2012
giantpea
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:20:06 PM

can anyone copy-paste their application?
electricpearls
Posted: May 21, 2008 9:49:42 PM

Yup, Crescent Heights!

Oh, don't even get me started on Forest Lawn. Fowler's pretty bad too... one of my best friends goes there. There are some NASTY things going on there. In junior high, they gave us the choice to go to either Fowler or Crescent. Sad, really.

I'm kind of worried about my school stuff. My school sucks for stuff like that. We don't have ANYTHING here... like two clubs max. I play field hockey and I will be captain next year, I'm helping organize the English Extravaganza and I did a bit of work in the School Snack Shack. I also did some volunteering for competitions here because we host a debate competition every year (but we don't have a debate team, funny how that works) and we do a lot of sports because we have the biggest gym. Next year my principal is putting me as student rep on Parent's Council. I also plan on doing Grad Committee. I did Junior Achievement as well though it is like a joke at my school. We don't have a Student Council... sad, I know. No Model UN, no debate (okay, we had one for two months and I was the only person on it so that didn't work out very well)... NOTHING!!!

When I ask about marks though, I can meet the cutoff for grade 11 cores including high English and Math marks, and 92 in Bio 30. Will they count French 20 if I took it in grade 10? My electives marks suck though... and the sad thing is that it's not really my fault either (I can't explain... I don't want to ramble).

So yeah, my school involvement sucks. But I have stellar community work, references for everything, sports, music, leadership, etc.

Pinku, I don't know about the Asian guys... there's A LOT though. I don't really find them attractive, only their jeans. They have really nice jeans... ha ha.

I knew you'd go to Churchill though... either Churchill or Western. Ha ha.

Wait... I live in the NE, but isn't Crescent technically in the NW? Oh darn... I've got some serious competition.

Elusive, do you live in Calgary too? If so, where do you go?
qtipps
Posted: May 21, 2008 10:42:31 PM

a principals nomination/ a major entrance award application is the best way to go. not only are you pretty much gaurenteed a spot, you also get in for all the top awards.

i did this and like 2 weeks later got notice that i didn't have to do the PSE. i got into arts and the ISC in the first week of January and i got into commerce mid feb.

may be a few more words to write but when it is all said and done, less stressful and you may even get a scholarship out of it!

Queen's Commerce 2012
cole.
Posted: May 22, 2008 12:48:52 AM

St. Francis HS all the way. Go Browns!
Nice to see a bunch of Calgarians heading out to Queen's with me.
Anyways, the PSE was extremely straight forward. All you do is get your extra-curriculars all lined up and listed nicely. You briefly describe them, and your time commitment towards them. I finished the PSE in less then an hour (very few EC's). For the awards part I put in some bullcrap ones like hounor roll. My only real one was coming in third in a math contest, but I would have made it in without it. Don't stress out about this, it's just to show Queen's that you are doing something else other than school and to show why your grades may not be as good as you like. Show some color, and a bit of personality and you'll be just fine. Take a little bit more time on it then I did though. Oh, and get it done early, but don't send it until you're 100% ready. Be sure to edit it as well. Nothing worse than reading an admission document that says "i think u should let me in you're shool.