We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

McGill Hopefuls 2011 Options
darks0ulz
Posted: July 22, 2010 11:28:06 PM
Groups: Member

Yeah but the system completely neglects IB/AP students. I can't take 110/120 because since my school needed to send IB scores (or I wouldn't receive my admission), McGill automatically gave me the transfers.

But I can't register along with the other U1 students...Oh the famous McGill red tape.

I do get to register on the 27th (yay 2 days extra!). But BIOL 111/112, MATH 140/141, PHYS 101/102 don't open to the 29th. So...that's minimal benefit.

McGill 2014 - Anatomy and Cell Biology
hockeynut91
Posted: July 23, 2010 9:57:50 AM

ye sit really is plus all those classes are in LEA 132 if I'm not mistaken where there are hundreds of spots open. I guess trying to get a head kind of backfired eh.
I guess you'll just have to take some bird courses.

McGill BSc Biol, Biomed & Life Sci 14'
Anatomy or Physiology??
imsyed
Posted: July 23, 2010 10:04:31 AM

Desautels perhaps..

From Cradle to the Grave!

Applied to :

1.Schulich School of business
2.Richard Ivey School of business / BMOS
3.Desautels Faculty of management
4.Rotman Business School

darks0ulz
Posted: July 23, 2010 7:28:57 PM

Yeah. I think BIOL 111 and PHYS 102 are in Lea 132 and both are back to back. At least I don't have to move.

I didn't know McGill automatically forces you to take the transfer (I know at Western you can opt to not take the transfers and UofT said they would have the option of voiding them). If that were the case, I would've purposely scored a bit lower or something. =/

hockeynut91
Posted: July 24, 2010 8:47:17 AM

Exactly why i am not letting them know i got 5's on all my AP exams lol

Anatomy or Physiology??
darks0ulz
Posted: July 24, 2010 11:04:24 AM

Yeah I saw that post on the 2014 group razz.

At least most of my IB higher level courses were outside of my major. So only chem is 2nd year. Could've been much more worse.

hockeynut91
Posted: July 24, 2010 6:54:58 PM

yes it could of.
got a 5 in physics too last year.

now do we have to use them? or even use them but still take the course without marking? I want to retake the courses at McGill so I don't miss anything.

Anatomy or Physiology??
theyoungweatherman
Posted: July 27, 2010 5:18:42 PM

Damn, so hows the AP thing work again? I have 4 APs next year, so I really want to know what difference does submitting the exam score make.

http://weatherintoronto.blogspot.com/

Accepted:
Waterloo Physics Co-op

Applying to:
McGill Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
UBC Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Dalhousie Meteorological Science
McMaster Environmental Sciences
York Atmospheric Sciences
hockeynut91
Posted: July 27, 2010 9:19:55 PM

You have to take the credits, if you want to repeat the course then you can but no mark will go towards your cGPA.
that answer your questions?

Anatomy or Physiology??
ppmov
Posted: August 2, 2010 1:58:26 AM

Hey everyone!

I want to apply for International Relations and perhaps double major in linguistics... I love languages. I'm fluent in english, french, spanish, and russian. (5 on both french and spanish AP tests). My junior year grades are awesome (4.8) but my sophomore year is disgusting. SAT is good too (2010 first time but will retake). What do you think? Do I have a good chance? Perhaps I'll get rec letters from my French and Spanish teachers... but the only thing holding me back is 10th grade. There was a huge cheating scandal that I somehow got myself into (a girl cheated off of me) and I ended up getting WF from the class, but retook it (honors british literature) and got an A. The issue is... there's nowhere to explain that, from what I see, as people say no supplementary materials matter to McGill. Will that affect me a lot? Or will the replacement be enough... and perhaps my French-y/language love?
This is my dream school.... Montreal is the coolest place I have ever seen in my life, truly + it's 5 hours from home. It's just awesome. What do you think?

btw the ap's are: french (5), spanish (5), art hist (4), euro (3) and next year the sequence will continue with AP calc AB, AP enviro, AP gov, and AP english.
I got 2 C's in 10th grade euro and 1 C in algebra 2 honors in 10th grade - apparently i'm seeing that 10th grade doesn't matter? if it does, will the language love cover it up!? can I not send in euro AP if it's that bad?

THANKS!
Horrorshow!
Posted: August 2, 2010 2:44:41 AM

ppmov wrote:

I want to apply for International Relations and perhaps double major in linguistics... I love languages.

I'm also applying as a linguistics major, but with a double major in computer science so I can get a job after. I love languages too, but only speak German and some Russian. worry
mvplayur
Posted: August 15, 2010 9:30:55 PM

My grade 11 marks are not very good.

ASP: 65
Functions: 67
Bio: 75

Those are my 3 lowest...

Other than that everything's 80s but I know marks like that will pull my average down.
Even if I KILL grade 12....are my chances low just cause of this?
Horrorshow!
Posted: August 16, 2010 2:52:17 AM

If you don't apply Early Admission, then grade 11 marks won't affect you. As you said, just "KILL" it in grade 12 and you'll be alright. I hope those low marks were a result of laziness though.
Mcgill hopeful
Posted: August 22, 2010 2:44:39 PM

I am planning on applying to Mcgill. I am interested in medicine and sciences, in the long run I plan on going to med school and becoming a doctor. Are there any programs at Mcgill that you would recommend? I am from Ontario, not an IB/AP student. I did okay in grade 11 average was about 91% both semesters, most courses were 3U. I plan on studying hardcore in grade 12, what are my chances of getting in? I also have a ton of extra curriculars if that helps. Please reply with suggestions i will be very thankful.

Applying to:
McGill Biological, Biomedical & Life Sciences
McMaster Health Sciences
McMaster Life Sciences
U of T Life Sciences
UWO Life Sciences
theyoungweatherman
Posted: August 22, 2010 6:56:32 PM

Mcgill hopeful wrote:
I am planning on applying to Mcgill. I am interested in medicine and sciences, in the long run I plan on going to med school and becoming a doctor. Are there any programs at Mcgill that you would recommend? I am from Ontario, not an IB/AP student. I did okay in grade 11 average was about 91% both semesters, most courses were 3U. I plan on studying hardcore in grade 12, what are my chances of getting in? I also have a ton of extra curriculars if that helps. Please reply with suggestions i will be very thankful.

lol at your name and this thread's. Extra curriculars don't mean a thing in terms of application. McGill biomed is one of the toughest programs to get in. Maintain a average of over 93% top six and you should be in.

http://weatherintoronto.blogspot.com/

Accepted:
Waterloo Physics Co-op

Applying to:
McGill Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
UBC Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Dalhousie Meteorological Science
McMaster Environmental Sciences
York Atmospheric Sciences
neyugn
Posted: August 23, 2010 12:46:24 AM

nutMEG wrote:
I was thinking about applying, but when I was visiting my cousin, I swear the party scene is HARDCORE. Like people are drinking roofied drinks, doing E, etc. Kind of turned me off on the whole thing.

ranked #1 party school in canada by playboy smile
neyugn
Posted: August 23, 2010 12:51:29 AM

planning to apply for management and general engineering...

1. is the engineering program bad in comparison to UBC for example? I know there's no co-op
2. is there co-op for business?
3. since u can apply for general eng or to a specialized program(ie. chemical) would u be behind the chem eng students for example of u decide to pursue chem eng in 2nd year?
Horrorshow!
Posted: August 23, 2010 2:51:23 AM

neyugn wrote:
nutMEG wrote:
I was thinking about applying, but when I was visiting my cousin, I swear the party scene is HARDCORE. Like people are drinking roofied drinks, doing E, etc. Kind of turned me off on the whole thing.

ranked #1 party school in canada by playboy smile

Was that actually on campus or just at clubs in Montreal that McGill students go to?

neyugn wrote:
planning to apply for management and general engineering...

1. is the engineering program bad in comparison to UBC for example? I know there's no co-op

I don't think McGill engineering is significantly worse than UBC, but maybe a bit. Sauder is definitely better than Desautels though.
brian1993
Posted: October 31, 2010 5:34:03 PM

I'm hoping to go into McGill Management next year...just have a couple of questions though.

1) I've never taken any finance, accounting...etc. courses before, and I'd be leaning towards those. Would it be super difficult for me to catch on?

2) With a 91% (required) top 6 average, how likely is it to get accepted? In my worse case potential scenario, I would probably have slightly higher than 91% (although I'm most likely to have 92-94%. How likely would it be with just slightly over the minimum...say 92%?

3) I'm interested in med school after undergrad...but the reason I want to do management is because if I don't get into med, I'd rather work in this field rather than sciences. And on top of that, I think I'll find finance/economics/investment quite interesting. Would it be more/less difficult to get into med school if I were to take management?

4) How difficult is the management program at McGill?
darks0ulz
Posted: October 31, 2010 6:25:38 PM

Since I'm in sciences, I can't really help you with some of the questions but a lot of my friends are in management.

1) A lot of your first year courses are pretty basic (ie. you won't need a lot of highschool knowledge). One of my friends never did this stuff in HS but he's doing decently well.

2) Getting in shouldn't be that hard if you have around a 92. On that note, I remember someone got rejected from life sci with a 95 avg (the cutoff this year was 91.5). How that I happened, idk.

3) As long as you do the required prereqs for med school, you can apply. It's 1 year of bio, calc, physics, and organic chem (and sometimes a year of english). That's 8-10 courses. You'll do a year of calc in your first year of management. But your other 6-8 required courses will have to fit into your elective spots. Note, one usually does 4-5 courses or 15 credits in 1 semester.

Management kids usually don't have room for a lot of electives, so this will be a major issue. You might need to do summer school.

4) No idea. But management kids get Fridays off. Lucky SOBs.

And a note on the party scene here. A lot of people do drugs (pot, shrooms, mdma etc) and the party scene is pretty hardcore (I've gone out for the last 3 nights and tonight too). But I don't do drugs (other than drink) and no one bothers me. No one really peer pressures you into anything. Some of my friends don't drink and no one ever bothers them.