We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Best McGill Arts Program? Options
Myxomatosis
Posted: June 16, 2010 7:02:27 PM
Groups: Member

I have great interest in going to Law School after pursuing my undergraduate degree but I am not sure what to major in. I have visited McGill and absolutely love the learning environment and the city, it seems breathtaking. Having said that, although I have heard great things about the Social Sciences and Arts at McGill, it does sound reasonably harder than other universities. I am interested in taking something along the lines of Political Science, Sociology, or English but I am unsure which ones are good at McGill and which ones are generally easier to obtain a higher GPA for Law School.

Many Thanks.
tycar
Posted: June 16, 2010 7:22:13 PM

Most students who apply to law school major in political science. However, this is partly due to the uselessness of a poli sci major. Don't just take GPA into consideration when weighing what program to take. Also, think about what area may prepare you for the LSAT. The highest scorers by major on the LSAT every year are math, philosophy and religion majors (I think economics is up there too). And I wouldn't worry too much about what the presumed difficulty of a program is. If you work hard and apply yourself a 3.8+ GPA is not unattainable.

UTSG 2014 - Victoria College - Vic One
Political Science & Sexual Diversity Studies

Scholarships:

- Victoria College Academic Scholarship ($2000)
- J.F. Allen Scholarship (Runner up- $1000)
- Toronto Police LGBT Youth Justice Bursary ($1000)
- Jeremy Dias Scholarship (Waiting)
Myxomatosis
Posted: June 16, 2010 7:38:51 PM

I would imagine something that requires writing and some logical thinking is a good undergraduate for Law School. I agree with you on Political Science. Although many law students choose this as their undergraduate, it doesn't seem to lead to many job opportunities. Having said that, most social sciences or arts do not seem to either. For example, I have some interest in English, philosophy, and political science but because none of them are of real use (most of the time) without graduate work, I have to ensure I choose the right arts program that is good for law school. Now, I am not frantically searching for the easiest undergraduate to major in but I am genuinely clueless with regard to what is a good choice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tycar
Posted: June 16, 2010 7:50:51 PM

Go with whatever you are most interested in. Are you from Ontario. If you are, you do a pretty general first year at McGill and are able to really explore all possible fields that may interest you. I wouldn't worry too much until next year about what you want your major to be. And yeah a BA is pretty useless in Canada now. Most often, you need at least a masters degree to get a job in the field that you have studied.

UTSG 2014 - Victoria College - Vic One
Political Science & Sexual Diversity Studies

Scholarships:

- Victoria College Academic Scholarship ($2000)
- J.F. Allen Scholarship (Runner up- $1000)
- Toronto Police LGBT Youth Justice Bursary ($1000)
- Jeremy Dias Scholarship (Waiting)
O. Tannenbaum
Posted: June 16, 2010 11:36:13 PM

Generally, it is 'easier' (in the sense that you have a higher chance, assuming you put in all the effort and know how to study smart) to achieve a 90%+ in 'objective' courses, such as math and science, where the answers are either right or wrong.

In the arts, it is easy to achieve marks in the B-range, but to reach the 85%+ mark, a lot of it depends on how well you write, the originality of your ideas, and what the prof/TA likes.

If you have your heart set on the arts, take courses in all the areas you're interested in, and see which of those holds your attention the most. You will need it, given the length of the readings in those classes.

University of Toronto '11
gongshow
Posted: June 23, 2010 9:12:32 AM

Myxomatosis wrote:
I have great interest in going to Law School after pursuing my undergraduate degree but I am not sure what to major in. I have visited McGill and absolutely love the learning environment and the city, it seems breathtaking. Having said that, although I have heard great things about the Social Sciences and Arts at McGill, it does sound reasonably harder than other universities. I am interested in taking something along the lines of Political Science, Sociology, or English but I am unsure which ones are good at McGill and which ones are generally easier to obtain a higher GPA for Law School.

Many Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you, best of luck first year. Take courses you enjoy.

McGill, Class of 2014
bohiko
Posted: July 30, 2010 12:46:07 AM

tycar wrote:
Most students who apply to law school major in political science.
That's exactly what i want to know! What program (faculty) can i major before going in law school ?