We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Opportunities to Brush up and Improve French Language skills Options
Redrose27
Posted: May 17, 2008 3:05:22 PM

Groups: Member

I was wondering if anyone knew of some places or programs where you could work on improving or advancing your French abilities. I stopped taking french after grade nine (a big mistake) but i'd like to begin again so i can regain some fluency in the French language. Summer schools in my area don't offer language courses so that's not an option. I'd be willing to pay for classes if necessary
heythereb
Posted: May 17, 2008 3:25:47 PM

Well, you can apply to the Explore program. it takes place in the spring and summer. Each session is 5 weeks. Obviously the deadline for this year has past, but you can apply next year. If you qualify for the bursary (basically random chance), it's free expect for the $150 program fee that you pay.

I'm sure if you google McGill/Concordia/U of M + french summer program, you'll find something.

Assuming you don't want to go somewhere to learn french, you can check this site out http://www.langcanada.ca/public/fsl-fls/index_e.php

McGill Arts '12
**Lil_Absinthey_Amarinthe**
Posted: May 17, 2008 4:43:33 PM

It would depend on how fluent you are. Personally, I've applied for the summer work exchange program run by the YMCA, who took it over this year from the government. Essentially, you'd live with a french family in quebec during the summer and work in french while a student from quebec comes and lives with your family. Try looking into it.

Pourquoi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf94uiIbItg
Miss
Posted: May 18, 2008 1:05:59 AM

you could try looking into a callcenter job, or a customer service job, that requires you to speak both languages, though the focus would be more on making money than learning....

Queen's Engineering 2012
Posted: May 18, 2008 2:17:53 AM

Like heythereb suggetsed, www.jexplore.ca
is basically french bootcamp.
My chem teacher went when she finished gr 12 and said she got fluent after big grin

I will be studying at UVic this summer smile

Apply next year!

Redrose27
Posted: May 18, 2008 11:32:07 AM

would i really be able to function well though considering i haven't studied french in about 3 years now? like it seems excellent for people who are finishing up their last year of french in high school and want an opportunity to apply it practically, but wouldn't someone who hasn't studied it for a few years just flounder int hat program? it sounds very interesting nevertheless though
heythereb
Posted: May 18, 2008 12:11:18 PM

Well, from my understanding, they do a test to evaluate your level of french, and then place you at a level. I'm thinking it's Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.

I haven't studied French since grade 9, so I'll be at Beginner level. even if you don't become fluent over the summer, at least you'll develop some ability to converse in it or even understand it when it's being spoken by someone who's fluent.

McGill Arts '12
seamoraine
Posted: July 14, 2008 7:59:10 PM

Taking classes at the Alliance Francaise (a French organization dedicated to exporting the French culture and language abroad) is also a great idea :]
They place you at different levels (much like the Explore program) & their classes are available throughout the year.
www.alliance-francaise.ca

Environmental Studies & Resource Management, Earth Science
University of Waterloo '11
Malinka
Posted: July 21, 2008 11:26:03 AM

Not sure if you're looking to travel at all but immersion is the best way to learn it. Obviously it's too late this year but you can travel to France and work there, while learning French as you try to integrate into your community.
http://www.swap.ca/out_eng/destinations/france.aspx

International Development, 2010
jinn
Posted: July 23, 2008 4:10:51 PM

I did destination clic (http://www.destinationclic.ca/) several years ago and its basically just like the explore program, except I think you need to be a francophone living outside Quebec or something... not sure, but that or the explore program are great.

You definitely don't need to know French to go, I met lots of people who didn't even know "bonjour" (French isn't mandatory in high school in all of Canada) and you learn quick enough. Everyone I know who applied for their first time got accepted - one of my friends actually went three times! Best of all it's FREE!

If you can, apply for destinationclic, its the same as the explore program except they also subsidize your transportation costs. =D
Kaylya
Posted: July 23, 2008 6:22:03 PM

I've learned that "bra" means good in Swedish by watching a season of Sopranos with Swedish subtitles razz

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
ACTH
Posted: July 23, 2008 7:36:54 PM

I'm currently taking my TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) certification. Once I'm done, I should be able to get a job for the summer next year teaching overseas. I plan on directly immersing myself and learning the language of whichever country I end up going to. It pays well and is a great experience. What else am I going to do for four months?

UWO 2012 - Biological & Medical Science big grin
UWO > Every other school
TaintedKane
Posted: July 23, 2008 8:23:04 PM

ACTH wrote:
I'm currently taking my TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) certification. Once I'm done, I should be able to get a job for the summer next year teaching overseas. I plan on directly immersing myself and learning the language of whichever country I end up going to. It pays well and is a great experience. What else am I going to do for four months?

Which country you planning on going to?
ACTH
Posted: July 23, 2008 9:00:43 PM

TaintedKane wrote:
ACTH wrote:

Which country you planning on going to?

Preferably Spain, Portugal, or Italy, but if worse comes to worse, an Asian country (no offense). There are also a lot of TEFL jobs in the UK, oddly enough. One would think there are enough native English speakers there.

UWO > Every other school
Malinka
Posted: July 23, 2008 9:53:27 PM

ACTH wrote:

Umm I don't mean to crush your hopes here but it's VERY difficult, if possible at all to get a teaching job overseas without at least a BA. I remember when I graduated highschool I was going to take a year off and teach English in Thailand, but the day I went to sign up for the TESOL ceritfication, I found out I would be looking at volunteer work and the only money I would make is tutoring on the side, which is illegal in most countries.
How old is your teacher that recommended this to you? While he may not have had a problem, the rules are changing quickly (ex. if I went to Thailand in 2004, I would have been fine, they passed a new law only allowing teachers with degrees into the country when I graduated in 2005.)
Just wanted to give you a heads up, by all means I wish you luck (and if you do find a place, let me know. heehee smile)

International Development, 2010
ACTH
Posted: July 23, 2008 10:06:19 PM

Malinka wrote:
ACTH wrote:

Umm I don't mean to crush your hopes here but it's VERY difficult, if possible at all to get a teaching job overseas without at least a BA. I remember when I graduated highschool I was going to take a year off and teach English in Thailand, but the day I went to sign up for the TESOL ceritfication, I found out I would be looking at volunteer work and the only money I would make is tutoring on the side, which is illegal in most countries.
How old is your teacher that recommended this to you? While he may not have had a problem, the rules are changing quickly (ex. if I went to Thailand in 2004, I would have been fine, they passed a new law only allowing teachers with degrees into the country when I graduated in 2005.)
Just wanted to give you a heads up, by all means I wish you luck (and if you do find a place, let me know. heehee smile)

Thanks for the advice, my teacher was about 26-28 (I forgot) when he told me this. I understand what your saying, but I also see many job postings that say a degree is optional or not necessary. I think I'm still qualified to go to some countries.

UWO > Every other school