We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

How to become a UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR Options
ER
Posted: April 23, 2010 12:18:52 AM

Groups: Member

I want to know how to become a science professor.

Is a PhD required?

What about high marks?

OK!

York University 2014
CRAZYBUBBA
Posted: April 23, 2010 6:59:16 AM

If you decide to stay in Canada a PhD is necessary. However, it is possible to teach at some colleges in the US with just a MSC.

High marks are only one part of the equation. It's important that you have a decent average B, B+, A-, A depending on the school that you wish to study at. However, it's also important that the admissions committee find your research interesting and that you're a good fit for the department/ your thesis supervisor.

I don't think that the decision to pursue graduate studies is one that you should be making at this point. The life of a professor is incredibly difficult and should be fueled by a deep seated passion for their subject matter. You spend about 7 years post undergrad studying and researching for the opportunity to compete with others for the position that you want. Then you'll spend time long hours in the lab building research experience and several years building teaching experience before you have the opportunity to hold a steady job. Then department finances, politics, etc will affect your ability to gain tenure.

Think about grad school when you find something that interests you enough to spend 10 hours on a Saturday night researching it.

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens.- Carl Jung
spock100
Posted: April 23, 2010 11:17:06 AM

CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
If you decide to stay in Canada a PhD is necessary. However, it is possible to teach at some colleges in the US with just a MSC.

High marks are only one part of the equation. It's important that you have a decent average B, B+, A-, A depending on the school that you wish to study at. However, it's also important that the admissions committee find your research interesting and that you're a good fit for the department/ your thesis supervisor.

I don't think that the decision to pursue graduate studies is one that you should be making at this point. The life of a professor is incredibly difficult and should be fueled by a deep seated passion for their subject matter. You spend about 7 years post undergrad studying and researching for the opportunity to compete with others for the position that you want. Then you'll spend time long hours in the lab building research experience and several years building teaching experience before you have the opportunity to hold a steady job. Then department finances, politics, etc will affect your ability to gain tenure.

Think about grad school when you find something that interests you enough to spend 10 hours on a Saturday night researching it.

Also, to add to CRAZYBUBBA's points, in Canada, Msc is a requirement for admission into the Phd programs, whereas in the states, after undergraduate you enroll directly in the Phd program, and some schools will also award the Msc degree along the way. Keep in mind that wherever you go for your Phd, you will receive free tuition, and a stipend through teaching assistanships.

UW/WLU BCS/BBA Double Degree
A-red
Posted: April 27, 2010 3:53:48 AM

^ Actually I know there are some professors in Canada without a PhD, so.... maybe that's not the only requirement.

UBC Sciences 2014

2010 UBC Major Entrance Scholarship[/size]
Voltaire
Posted: June 8, 2010 6:52:14 PM

A-red wrote:
^ Actually I know there are some professors in Canada without a PhD, so.... maybe that's not the only requirement.

My dad is a prof., and he says it is next to impossible to become a professor without a PhD. To become a prof., you first need to make connections within the university, have high grades, and make sure you make an interest in the field you wish to teach in, because your hiring depends entirely on your credentials (which is mostly comprised of published work in journals).

Carleton University- Architecture 2014
dunno
Posted: June 9, 2010 9:28:27 PM

How do you establish connections with the university?

And do you have to become a TA in order to become a prof? To me it just seems like pain work for the prof and wouldn't really increase one's chances of becoming a full time prof. Is that true? You can become a prof without being on tenure, right?

I'm starting to more and more think of getting into it; seems like a rewarding career.

On a side note, here is a list of professors and their disclosed earnings in the year of 2007 [was disclosed in '08] http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2008/univer08.html
I find it highly interesting. You can look up your profs and see how much they really are making smile

UWO '13
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: June 9, 2010 9:40:36 PM

You don't have to be a TA to become a prof. It's just pretty typical for Master's students and PhD students to be TAs... pays extra. It won't really make or break your resume, but having been a TA would make you a bit more competitive when applying for tenure-track positions.

Most profs start without tenure.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
chanchalseo
Posted: June 19, 2010 2:57:24 AM

I agree with the discussion above! But in my opinion the average amount of time it takes to finish the PhD will depend on the field; And also the average time in grad school is 6.5 years I think. But they don't teach you how to teach - they expect you to pick that up while teaching labs, and universities interested in hiring you will be more interested in your research than your teaching background. Mostly universities will also expect you to have done a post-doc (1-5 year research position) before applying for a faculty job. Hop it will really helpful for you dear.

Good luck.
Simplicity
Posted: June 22, 2010 7:32:17 PM

will take a long time but do what you love!
Voltaire
Posted: June 23, 2010 12:33:24 PM

mynameismattgotmlgo wrote:
You don't have to be a TA to become a prof. It's just pretty typical for Master's students and PhD students to be TAs... pays extra. It won't really make or break your resume, but having been a TA would make you a bit more competitive when applying for tenure-track positions.

Most profs start without tenure.

My dad is not on tenure track and has been teaching for more than 30 years at various universities, he is on his second contract at the current university he teaches at. He makes as much as your average prof. (100+ thousand a year) and the credentials rivaling the most respected profs.. He's at an advantage not to be on tenure. Just to add, my dad is an associate professor in "rank" and cannot reach professor "rank" unless on tenure.

Carleton University- Architecture 2014
anitaquade
Posted: July 21, 2010 8:29:42 AM

There are many different paths toward a professorship in academia; the key is perseverance, passion and information. Like any career, the best-informed and best-trained have better chances of succeeding.

Denver Divorce Attorney | Divorce Lawyer Denver | Divorce Attorney in Denver
edertwo
Posted: July 21, 2010 10:38:34 AM

^ I need a divorce ASAP. When's the quickest you can have it done by?

University of Toronto
Class of 2012
- Trinity College -
velvetitis
Posted: July 21, 2010 10:44:30 AM

edertwo wrote:

iPod 4G Divorce App.
edertwo
Posted: July 21, 2010 10:46:59 AM

velvetitis wrote:
edertwo wrote:

iPod 4G Divorce App.

Where can I get an iPod 4G?

University of Toronto
Class of 2012
- Trinity College -
velvetitis
Posted: July 21, 2010 11:02:51 AM

edertwo wrote:
velvetitis wrote:
edertwo wrote:

iPod 4G Divorce App.

Where can I get an iPod 4G?

Oh, balls.
Mouse MD
Posted: July 21, 2010 6:15:59 PM

Proffesors are nothing but disgruntled researchers in their respective fields.
uoft_physics_14
Posted: July 21, 2010 7:55:15 PM

Mouse MD wrote:
Proffesors are nothing but disgruntled researchers in their respective fields.

Yeah, but at least they know how to spell.

University of Toronto, Joint Mathematics and Physics
jungeon
Posted: August 18, 2010 5:09:34 PM

ER wrote:
I want to know how to become a science professor.

Is a PhD required?

What about high marks?

OK!

Good news, a master is not necessary. Bad news, phd has 1000s of applicant and usually only accept 15 or so students. Also you need a cgpa of 78+% or so, not so easy in university
Horrorshow!
Posted: August 19, 2010 2:01:16 AM

There are many PhDs unable to gain employment as professors, let alone Masters.
syedmayne
Posted: September 2, 2010 1:52:26 AM

I thought all the grumpy pessimists were in the business section.
If it really is a one in a million shot to get a PhD and then a job as a professor,
do those who get into grad school but don't get to work in academia end up starving to death?
And does anyone have employment statistics for grad students (masters and PhD) alongside admission statistics

Honours Economics & Accounting
WLU '13