We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

UBC Sauder Options
tredfarce
Posted: March 9, 2010 3:08:13 PM
Groups: Member

anyone got in yet? i heard they're doing the reviews this week. i'm an international student though, so not sure if they do it earlier for canadian applicants?

Accepted: UBC Arts, McMasters Business, UofT CCIT, Carleton Journalism, SFU Communications
Waiting on: UBC SAUDER
troq123
Posted: March 9, 2010 4:02:12 PM

still doing the supplemental atm, how did u get in arts so fast? i thought we cant report grades until 23 or something, whats ur avg btw?
HeirApparent
Posted: March 10, 2010 12:45:27 PM

I'm not 100% positive but I believe that UBC waits untill after the due date for the supplemental application to begin sending out acceptances.

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-UofC Haskayne School of Business
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
-UBC Commerce (it stings on my insides)
DECIDED
- UVic Business
tredfarce
Posted: March 10, 2010 6:43:24 PM

troq123 wrote:
still doing the supplemental atm, how did u get in arts so fast? i thought we cant report grades until 23 or something, whats ur avg btw?

yeah i got arts like a month ago? i'm doing ib, but i think my average is 88% according to the ubc ib to canadian grading.

HeirApparent wrote:
I'm not 100% positive but I believe that UBC waits untill after the due date for the supplemental application to begin sending out acceptances.

i just got the can't make a decision on your application right now, the majority of applications will be made prior to the end of may. but does that means i'll still have a chance of getting in? i really hope so cause it's my first choice. i just hope my average is high enough?

Accepted: UBC Arts, McMasters Business, UofT CCIT, Carleton Journalism, SFU Communications
HeirApparent
Posted: March 11, 2010 12:43:53 PM

tredfarce wrote:
troq123 wrote:

yeah i got arts like a month ago? i'm doing ib, but i think my average is 88% according to the ubc ib to canadian grading.

HeirApparent wrote:

i just got the can't make a decision on your application right now, the majority of applications will be made prior to the end of may. but does that means i'll still have a chance of getting in? i really hope so cause it's my first choice. i just hope my average is high enough?

I scratch what I said earlier...I just got my rejection notice; which is really sucky by the way.

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
DECIDED
- UVic Business
GameTime
Posted: March 11, 2010 2:13:36 PM

HeirApparent wrote:
tredfarce wrote:
troq123 wrote:

HeirApparent wrote:

I scratch what I said earlier...I just got my rejection notice; which is really sucky by the way.

Sauders is extremly competitive. What was your average for top 4 provincially examinable courses?
HeirApparent
Posted: March 11, 2010 2:16:36 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by provincially examinable courses, but I believe the courses they were sent had an average of around 89%

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
DECIDED
- UVic Business
GameTime
Posted: March 11, 2010 2:23:28 PM

HeirApparent wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by provincially examinable courses, but I believe the courses they were sent had an average of around 89%

What courses were they?

Also, how much do EC's play a part in getting acceptance?

I am in grade 11 and UBC Comm is my first choice.
HeirApparent
Posted: March 11, 2010 2:32:59 PM

My school isn't semestered (except for math), so UBC received my interim marks for English, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Writer's Craft and my final grade for Advanced Functions.
Now I'm not too sure how much of a role the supplmental application has on their decision as all they told me was that I was not competitive enough. I'd have to assume that my marks
were only slightly below what they were looking for (I've heard that they prefer 90%+ averages), and while my ECs were pretty good and my essays were well written I think the abundance
of ECs that I had was below par.

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
DECIDED
- UVic Business
tredfarce
Posted: March 11, 2010 7:04:17 PM

what did the say in the rejection status? i still have the 'can't make a decision' so i hope that's good :/ i only have an 88, but i do quite a bit of EC's, and i thought my supplemental was okay. what's the cutoff?

poachedsalmon
Posted: March 12, 2010 2:01:20 AM

Im getting really annoyed with the BillNye guy and his posting of stupid lego starwars can a mod delete his account holy crap. ANYWAYS, I'm sorry to hear about your rejection frown, yes Sauder is competitive as hell, more so than people give it credit for but to the guy that has his status as deferred to may, don't lose hope! I know it's a long time but they do accept people then so you do have a chance.

Sauder 2013
HeirApparent
Posted: March 12, 2010 11:26:19 AM

@tredfarce
This is all it said, "Your application for admission was reviewed by the Admissions Committee in the Sauder School of Business. Unfortunately, your overall qualifications were not competitive with those of other applicants. You will be receiving a letter from us shortly."
I'm not sure what the cut off is, you need at least an 84 to be considered, but to have a chance it seems as though you may need something above an 89, because thats what I had.

@poachedsalmon
Thanks. I knew what I was getting into when I applied and I didn't really think I'd get accepted, but it's still rather disappointing. Although, I haven't officially thrown in the towel, I'm going to try again for third year. See how that goes.

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
DECIDED
- UVic Business
tredfarce
Posted: March 12, 2010 12:00:11 PM

yeah. :/ i checked today and it's still the same, how does the process work? do they take like the top 10% first, then fill up the rest of the spaces towards the end of may? i can't wait till may!

poachedsalmon
Posted: March 13, 2010 3:07:04 AM

Weellll, last year it was kinda like this, international students get accepted/rejected early, then they split the applications into two batches. The first batch get a decision, either a acceptance or deferral to may, and this happens around April 1st. The second batch gets their decision approximately 3rd week of April. So by this time theres a bunch of people accepted, and the rest deferred to May. And then finally in May, the rest of the people either get accepted or rejected and it sorta goes in a trickling manner, its not like they all get sent out on the same day for May. To my knowledge this is the case, it was for last year anyway, hope that helps!

Sauder 2013
HeirApparent
Posted: March 13, 2010 11:25:14 AM

I'm actually Canadian but I live in Germany and go to school in the Netherlands and am registered in the Ontario schooling system, so do you think that me being from out of province had anything to do with not getting in? I ask because I know that some schools have a quota for how many out of province Canadians they take in.

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
DECIDED
- UVic Business
tredfarce
Posted: March 13, 2010 12:08:03 PM

@ heirapparent what school do you go to now?! i live in holland as well.

@poachedsalmon does it matter which batch you're put in? / do you know how many people get accepted in may. this is my first choiceeee. i reallllly wanna get in frown i thought i had good ec's/supplemental!

HeirApparent
Posted: March 13, 2010 2:06:50 PM

It's an international school for Americans and Canadians...mostly American. It's located in the Limburg area in Brunssum.

Accepted
-Ottawa U Commerce
-McMaster Business I
-WLU BBA
-UVic Business
Rejected:
DECIDED
- UVic Business
poachedsalmon
Posted: March 13, 2010 2:09:19 PM

Umm no it doesn't matter what batch, it's just really by chance which batch they put you in. I'm sure just like any program, Sauder sends out more offers to try to take into account that some people will reject. I don't know exactly how many they accept at what time but I know in the very end they have space for 500 plus/minus a little bit. We are expanding though, what with the new building construction and all. Phase I is complete =D, phase II is underway so maybe they'll accept more people? haha big grin

Sauder 2013
tredfarce
Posted: March 14, 2010 8:05:17 AM

@heirapparent cool smile i go to the international school in a'dam!

@poachedsalmon haha thankkks, this does reassure me a little in my hope of chances to get in! what were your grades last year? (avg)

Abop
Posted: March 14, 2010 8:14:38 AM

you live in Germany but go to school in Holland?

Queen's Commerce Class of 2014