We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Mechatronics Waterloo vs Mechatronics McMaster and AIF Options
Frostz
Posted: December 15, 2009 4:27:01 PM

Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/15/2009
Posts: 174
Location: On Earth
I have applied to both programs but does anybody know the pros and cons of both programs. Also what are good things to list on my AIF for waterloo. I had a 93 average in grade 11 and currently am looking at 91 for Grade 12. I was on the school vollyball team, engineering team, started the robotics team, partcipated in math and programming contests, play soccer, was in school leadership class and hobbies include reading, building electronics, mountain biking, and swimming. What else could I add to really leave an impression.

University of Waterloo
Mechatronics Engineering 2015
Roberto
Posted: December 15, 2009 4:39:40 PM

Rank: Membre du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/7/2009
Posts: 451
Location: Ontario
Frostz wrote:
I have applied to both programs but does anybody know the pros and cons of both programs. Also what are good things to list on my AIF for waterloo. I had a 93 average in grade 11 and currently am looking at 91 for Grade 12. I was on the school vollyball team, engineering team, started the robotics team, partcipated in math and programming contests, play soccer, was in school leadership class and hobbies include reading, building electronics, mountain biking, and swimming. What else could I add to really leave an impression.

sounds like some pretty decent ec's, i've heard waterloo also doesn't care too much about it anyways though
what school do you go to?:s(from amherstburg as well)

Applied to: Windsor Electrical Engineering, U of T Engineering Track One, and McMaster Engineering Physics
Attending: U of T Track One
starlight
Posted: December 24, 2009 8:00:12 PM

Rank: Valedictorian
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/6/2008
Posts: 606
Location: Durham
McMaster is awesome in that it has a general first year. In Waterloo, you specialize right away and it is much harder to switch programs after first year. Also, in Waterloo, they alternate co-op terms so if you were in Mechatronics you'd be alternating between school and co-op every 4 months where as at Mac, you do your co-op in the summer and it is completely optional. Hope that helped! smile
serious7
Posted: December 24, 2009 10:19:04 PM
Rank: Valedictorian
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/15/2008
Posts: 700
Waterloo engineering kind of sucks. The building where first year mechatronic classes are held are like dungeons. The labs are pretty cheap (in the sense that you get slow computers and literally sit on broken chairs). I highly suggest mcmaster for engineering.
Sunrise2009
Posted: December 25, 2009 11:05:36 PM
Rank: Senior Student
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/11/2009
Posts: 254
Location: Ottawa
serious7 wrote:
Waterloo engineering kind of sucks. The building where first year mechatronic classes are held are like dungeons. The labs are pretty cheap (in the sense that you get slow computers and literally sit on broken chairs). I highly suggest mcmaster for engineering.


when people say waterloo engineering it means something...

I didn't even know mac did engineering lol

When an IB Coordinator says "Jump!" an IB freshmen asks "How high?"

Two years later the IB Coordinator says "Jump!" and the IB Junior asks "Where's the nearest cliff?"

<Waterloo Mathematics CA '13-'14>
uni_my_goal
Posted: December 26, 2009 1:29:11 PM
Rank: Membre du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/22/2009
Posts: 386
Location: toronto
serious7 wrote:
Waterloo engineering kind of sucks. The building where first year mechatronic classes are held are like dungeons. The labs are pretty cheap (in the sense that you get slow computers and literally sit on broken chairs). I highly suggest mcmaster for engineering.

you go to waterloo?

Accepted: Waterloo Engineering, UofT Engineering (track one), Queens Engineering, Schulich iBBA , Queens commerce.
hydravien
Posted: December 26, 2009 9:41:52 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/13/2009
Posts: 6
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
I wish you luck to waterloo, i have heard good things about the programme.
But,

I applied there last year, i had a 94 average, was in IB diploma and scored very well, started our robotics team which came in first at an international tournament and went to worlds, did numerous other ECs, wrote math contests, flew and taught r/c airplane and helicopter flying, etc....

and i didnt get in.
they are the best of the best and they know it. i think they cap it at about 50 students. I was thinking about applying again. i have decent marks in university so far (solid A's but a b+ in chem) and i dont think im going to bother. it is just... very hard to get in there. and to be honest i was pretty upset when i ddint get in last year because i figured with my grades and ecs there was no way they could reject me. (yeah i jumped the gun, but no IB from our school has been rejected from somewhere they wanted to go, and i really wanted go there) if i could give you advice... take that aif very very seriously. i kind of filled mine out vaguely because it was during the middle of all my iops and ias for IB and i was busy... i called them and they said i had the marks to get in but i was lacking in my aif.

I applied to both mac and waterloo. Mac granted me free choice in my second year, and with marks like yours, chances are you'll get free choice too. if you dont, tron at mac is far less competitive than waterloo.

So enough of my ranting, so for some info.

I dont know about waterloo's courses, but macs can be found here
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/current/pg1229.html

first year is general, as im sure you know. You have to take 2 courses (or one 6 unit course) that arent related to engineering (history/econ or whatever you want). if you happen to be in IB or AP (i think) you can get some credits granted to you. I got four general arts credits (2 in history and 2 in english), but they wouldnt take my chem or physics credit even though i scored high enough.

i know someone mentioned that the computers were slow and broken chairs... there are dedicated eng I computer labs with extremely fast computers. (dual xeons and our newest lab has core 2 duos)... and comfy chairs...

at mac you arent forced into co op like waterloo but it is an option, starting from the end of first year (you work during your first summer off), and you can do it in 3* 4 months, one 8 month and one 4, or one 1yr period. its very flexible. And if you want you can do eng management or eng and society.

Like i said, first year is general and is kind of dull for me (because i know what i want), but you might find you change your mind half way through the year.

and Sunrise, look around, lots of places rank mac and waterloo right with one another, and some sources even have it ranked higher. its all hyped up and rah rah spirit this and that. i dont want to get into an argument about it because i quite like both schools, but both mac and waterloo are very prestigious engineering schools, and either one is a very good school to be going to.

so sorry for the somewhat longwinded and jumpy reply.
if you want to chat more about mac/waterloo or youve got any more questions about first year in general... shoot me a PM and i can add you on msn.

Nick
Mac Eng 2013


GGG
Posted: December 26, 2009 10:05:05 PM
Rank: Student Body President
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/5/2008
Posts: 1,860
lol mechatronics isn't even that hard to get in. They must've made a mistake.
nanoftw
Posted: December 26, 2009 10:45:45 PM

Rank: Vice-président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2009
Posts: 953
Location: Toronto
hydravien wrote:
I wish you luck to waterloo, i have heard good things about the programme.
But,

I applied there last year, i had a 94 average, was in IB diploma and scored very well, started our robotics team which came in first at an international tournament and went to worlds, did numerous other ECs, wrote math contests, flew and taught r/c airplane and helicopter flying, etc....

and i didnt get in.
they are the best of the best and they know it. i think they cap it at about 50 students. I was thinking about applying again. i have decent marks in university so far (solid A's but a b+ in chem) and i dont think im going to bother. it is just... very hard to get in there. and to be honest i was pretty upset when i ddint get in last year because i figured with my grades and ecs there was no way they could reject me. (yeah i jumped the gun, but no IB from our school has been rejected from somewhere they wanted to go, and i really wanted go there) if i could give you advice... take that aif very very seriously. i kind of filled mine out vaguely because it was during the middle of all my iops and ias for IB and i was busy... i called them and they said i had the marks to get in but i was lacking in my aif.

I applied to both mac and waterloo. Mac granted me free choice in my second year, and with marks like yours, chances are you'll get free choice too. if you dont, tron at mac is far less competitive than waterloo.

So enough of my ranting, so for some info.

I dont know about waterloo's courses, but macs can be found here
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/current/pg1229.html

first year is general, as im sure you know. You have to take 2 courses (or one 6 unit course) that arent related to engineering (history/econ or whatever you want). if you happen to be in IB or AP (i think) you can get some credits granted to you. I got four general arts credits (2 in history and 2 in english), but they wouldnt take my chem or physics credit even though i scored high enough.

i know someone mentioned that the computers were slow and broken chairs... there are dedicated eng I computer labs with extremely fast computers. (dual xeons and our newest lab has core 2 duos)... and comfy chairs...

at mac you arent forced into co op like waterloo but it is an option, starting from the end of first year (you work during your first summer off), and you can do it in 3* 4 months, one 8 month and one 4, or one 1yr period. its very flexible. And if you want you can do eng management or eng and society.

Like i said, first year is general and is kind of dull for me (because i know what i want), but you might find you change your mind half way through the year.

and Sunrise, look around, lots of places rank mac and waterloo right with one another, and some sources even have it ranked higher. its all hyped up and rah rah spirit this and that. i dont want to get into an argument about it because i quite like both schools, but both mac and waterloo are very prestigious engineering schools, and either one is a very good school to be going to.

so sorry for the somewhat longwinded and jumpy reply.
if you want to chat more about mac/waterloo or youve got any more questions about first year in general... shoot me a PM and i can add you on msn.

Nick
Mac Eng 2013




agree with GGG. If what you are saying is true, you must have gotten into UW mechatronics with full scholarship not even kidding. Like I had WAAYYYY worse specs than you (barely 90 avg, no IB but AP, robotics team but our team wasnt THAT good), didnt even apply for mechatronics first (i asked them if they would consider me during like March) and I automatically got accepted in March. Also managed to get scholarships, but just didnt go there at the end.

UofT Engineering Science 1T3
pasific
Posted: December 26, 2009 11:25:00 PM
Rank: Posteur Expérimenté
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/16/2009
Posts: 147
Location: Canada
wtf? waterloo is not like Harvard
serious7
Posted: December 28, 2009 3:50:53 PM
Rank: Valedictorian
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/15/2008
Posts: 700
Sunrise2009 wrote:
serious7 wrote:
Waterloo engineering kind of sucks. The building where first year mechatronic classes are held are like dungeons. The labs are pretty cheap (in the sense that you get slow computers and literally sit on broken chairs). I highly suggest mcmaster for engineering.


when people say waterloo engineering it means something...

I didn't even know mac did engineering lol


Yes ryerson also does engineering. All the programs are equal. I highly recomend mac over waterloo for engineering.
th3.1
Posted: January 13, 2010 9:35:44 PM
Rank: Posteur Intermédiaire
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/13/2010
Posts: 500
let's face the truth.
The user who said he did not get accepted into waterloo with a 93% from an IB program is full of it!
or maybe you applied back in the 90s when the cut off range was around 95%.
Waterloo engineering is the most challenging program in Canada. No other university will train you to be a better engineer than Waterloo.
I don't mean to sound like a douche bag, but I have friends at mac, ryerson , carleton and uoft engineering, and I can see the difference between the way I apply what I know and the way they do. Waterloo will train you to be creative yet always remember who you are working for, the public.
Waterloo IS the MIT of the north!
so unless you got accepted into MIT, harvard or Princeton, dont come to Waterloo. Otherwise come to Waterloo.

We are the best best, even if the McMaster and UofT kids claim otherwise. That is not what university ranks indicate nor employers.

I'm here when I have to study
miklekim
Posted: January 13, 2010 9:57:49 PM

Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/11/2010
Posts: 19
Location: Ontario
Frostz wrote:
I have applied to both programs but does anybody know the pros and cons of both programs. Also what are good things to list on my AIF for waterloo. I had a 93 average in grade 11 and currently am looking at 91 for Grade 12. I was on the school vollyball team, engineering team, started the robotics team, partcipated in math and programming contests, play soccer, was in school leadership class and hobbies include reading, building electronics, mountain biking, and swimming. What else could I add to really leave an impression.

wow ur school has engineering team, and a robotics team?

the only technologically advanced club in my school is................ hmm....

im going to have to say autoshop lol

ok anyways, im going to have to say W.Loo cuz the economic is going down.. and we'll never know when US will just crash and burn.. who knows what might happen?

at least with a steady experience with W.Loo's Co-Op, you're going to get a job ezier when u graduate



i just realized that this post is from last year.....

play em off keyboard cat

Applied to (Top 5 Choices): UT SG : Life Science
UT SG : Track One
Waterloo: Mechatronics
McMaster: Life Science
Western : Health Science
Accepted to: None yet... shouldn't've slacked off till gr.12, but my marks are improved by 10%+ from gr.11
nanoftw
Posted: January 14, 2010 12:02:03 AM

Rank: Vice-président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2009
Posts: 953
Location: Toronto
miklekim wrote:
Frostz wrote:
I have applied to both programs but does anybody know the pros and cons of both programs. Also what are good things to list on my AIF for waterloo. I had a 93 average in grade 11 and currently am looking at 91 for Grade 12. I was on the school vollyball team, engineering team, started the robotics team, partcipated in math and programming contests, play soccer, was in school leadership class and hobbies include reading, building electronics, mountain biking, and swimming. What else could I add to really leave an impression.

wow ur school has engineering team, and a robotics team?

the only technologically advanced club in my school is................ hmm....

im going to have to say autoshop lol

ok anyways, im going to have to say W.Loo cuz the economic is going down.. and we'll never know when US will just crash and burn.. who knows what might happen?

at least with a steady experience with W.Loo's Co-Op, you're going to get a job ezier when u graduate



i just realized that this post is from last year.....

play em off keyboard cat


or even better come to engsci and wait 5 years, then go do graduate degree, wait 2.5 years(i think), and then the recession will be gone! cheers

UofT Engineering Science 1T3
HopefulUniGirl
Posted: January 14, 2010 4:40:11 AM

Rank: Président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/8/2009
Posts: 2,334
Location: On This Forum
omg robotics, autoshop... we have absolutely no technolgy-related clubs and only TIK2O , my school sucks ass big time

McMaster- Electrical and Biomedical Engineering Class of 2015


..has sadly made the transition over to MacInsiders
starwarsjdaipeter
Posted: January 26, 2010 6:30:27 PM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/10/2009
Posts: 5
Location: Toronto
I really want to go into mechatronics at UW or Eng sci (biomed concentration) at uft
what are my chances?

average: 89 (due to low chem and english mark)
UW math contests
a few contest recognition on national level
shad
couple sports teams
robotics
three executive position in school clubs
hospital volunteering

my average is my weakest point
naeem92
Posted: January 26, 2010 10:35:02 PM

Rank: Vice-président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/23/2009
Posts: 973
th3.1 wrote:
let's face the truth.
The user who said he did not get accepted into waterloo with a 93% from an IB program is full of it!
or maybe you applied back in the 90s when the cut off range was around 95%.
Waterloo engineering is the most challenging program in Canada. No other university will train you to be a better engineer than Waterloo.
I don't mean to sound like a douche bag, but I have friends at mac, ryerson , carleton and uoft engineering, and I can see the difference between the way I apply what I know and the way they do. Waterloo will train you to be creative yet always remember who you are working for, the public.
Waterloo IS the MIT of the north!
so unless you got accepted into MIT, harvard or Princeton, dont come to Waterloo. Otherwise come to Waterloo.

We are the best best, even if the McMaster and UofT kids claim otherwise. That is not what university ranks indicate nor employers.


That's debateable. Toronto consistently ranks as an equal. This year, U of T engineering's admission averages are higher than Waterloo's for the first time (I believe) ever. I would consider them equals.

But what do I know, I'm just a little high schooler!

Engineering Science 2014 (1T4)
ai
Posted: January 27, 2010 12:45:14 AM
Rank: Senior Student
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/28/2008
Posts: 108
Location: St. Catharines, ON
if you're pretty sure about going into mechatronics, go with waterloo. if you aren't too sure, go into mac general engineering. waterloo's mechatronics along with syde and comp/elec eng program curriculum are changing. these programs are also moving to the new engineering 5 building, which seems to be kickass.

Waterloo System Design Engineering 2014


Forum Jump

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2008 studentawards.com & boursetudes.com - Studentawards Inc. All rights reserved.