We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

UofT life science specializations/majors/minors Options
Sptar
Posted: November 25, 2009 4:15:17 PM

Groups: Member

Heya. I'm in 1st year life sci at UofT, and for the most part, I found it somewhat tough.

Anyway, I'm currently doing really bad in physics ( PHY131, 0.5 credit course), and economics (ECO100, 1.0 credit course), and this might lower my GPA to the point where I wouldn't be eligible for the major I want. I want to major in biochemistry, and either biology, economics, or something else (suggestions?). I am wondering; lets say I don't get the GPA required, and I major in biological chemistry instead, or specialize in biology, what is the extent to which I will be screwed over by not getting into a certain major, if at all?

I know I'm not going to get into med school (I don't have the academic or social skill to go that far), but I was hoping for pharmacy at most. I really don't mind going into lab work, or something like that. I'm still trying to at least make the minimum requirement for med school, so that I at least have the ability to apply to other decent graduate schools.

Anyway, so yeah, tell me about majors, and what happens when I screw up and get one I don't want?

Thanks.
O. Tannenbaum
Posted: November 25, 2009 4:48:39 PM

Presumably, you will have several backups with a lower GPA requirement in case you don't get accepted into the program you want. I don't see what the problem is; you need to be in a program in order to graduate anyway.

University of Toronto '11
Sptar
Posted: November 25, 2009 5:53:51 PM

Kay, I'll be a little more specific then.

Would getting one program over another have any career/graduate school restrictions. I'm pretty sure there isn't, and it seems unlikely that it ever would (seeing as the diploma you get never explicitly says what you majored in, only that you got a Bsc), but that's why I'm asking here.

Of course I have back ups, but those back ups aren't exactly the same thing as the ones I want. For example, biochem deals with stuff that I might need, whereas biology doesn't (at least that's what their damn website says). There is no real problem (other than my crappy grades), it's just a clarification.
O. Tannenbaum
Posted: November 26, 2009 9:45:55 AM

I don't think it will be a real problem if you don't get into your top choices, but if you want reassurance, I suggest you go talk to your college registrar about this. Tell him/her what you plan to do after undergrad; I'm sure s/he will have the answers you need.

University of Toronto '11
kraken.
Posted: November 26, 2009 11:37:20 AM

an unrelated question perhaps, but what college are you at?

UTSG Trinity College 1Tsomething

dear mods: please don't delete this forum yet! it would make me so depressed! it gives me a happy nostalgic feeling smile
at least archive it or something instead of destroying it like you did with the OLD old forum!
Sptar
Posted: November 26, 2009 2:06:48 PM

I'm at Woodsworth.
kraken.
Posted: November 26, 2009 2:07:36 PM

hi neighbour! cheers

UTSG Trinity College 1Tsomething

dear mods: please don't delete this forum yet! it would make me so depressed! it gives me a happy nostalgic feeling smile
at least archive it or something instead of destroying it like you did with the OLD old forum!
ederoo
Posted: November 26, 2009 2:08:11 PM

I suggest Ecoman
escru
Posted: November 26, 2009 3:41:16 PM

Have fun in the lab with sh!tty research funding, publishing for publishing's sake, and bad pay (25-45k).
Maverick
Posted: December 7, 2009 4:08:05 PM

Hi! I did my undergrad at U of T so I can try to help you. For the most part, your major isn't very important at all except if you're applying to graduate school for research. What's more important is the courses you take to make sure you eligible for med school, dentistry, pharmacy, etc. Anyways, if you don't get into your first choice for a major first year, you can always switch relatively easily after summer or in 2nd year. Your major does slightly affect your ability to get into courses though. If a course is required for your major, then you get first priority when it comes to selecting courses. Again, this isn't really that big of a deal since 2nd year courses still have a lot of spots even after the initial selection. Hope that helps!