We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Rez at Western! Options
g_lady_s
Posted: March 5, 2008 2:28:11 AM

Groups: Member

So, from what I know there are tons of students = tons of different types of rez.
What are they like from a real perspective/how are they unique? I've heard of the "zoo?" Is this saugeen?
I'm not from Ontario so I was just curious! smile

• Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing •
Western Babyyy!
kyleh
Posted: March 5, 2008 8:14:39 AM

Yes the 'zoo' is Saugeen.

Basically there are two different types of living condition.

Traditional style--> shared common washroom

Deleware
Med-syd
Saugeen

Suite style--> separate bathrooms

Elgin
Essex
Alumni

And than there is Perth which a combo of both.

I have been told time and time again that wherever you end up, you will love it!

University of Western Ontario
Honours Specialization in Medical Science 2012
bigbadsheep
Posted: March 5, 2008 11:04:17 AM

how hard is it meetin people if u live in the suite style rezs? if i go to western i'll be lookin at gettin into a rez that is close to the stadium b/c of football, but i've heard that livin in suite style, you don't really meet as many ppl as you do in traditional style

UWO '12 - Major in Criminology, Minor in Political Science
kyleh
Posted: March 5, 2008 11:34:17 AM

Check out this previous thread: http://forums.studentawards.com/archive/ViewThread.asp?ForumID=60&MessageID=219592&Ttoken=&SiteID=0

Chris
Posted: March 5, 2008 1:18:08 PM

Does anyone live on the Scholar's Electives floor? If you know anyone who does, how do they like it?
g_lady_s
Posted: March 5, 2008 6:05:13 PM

Chris wrote:
Does anyone live on the Scholar's Electives floor? If you know anyone who does, how do they like it?

haha i didn't know, though i still applied. there's a separate floor for SE kids? LOL!

• Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing •
Western Babyyy!
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: March 5, 2008 7:18:22 PM

Chris wrote:

From what I have heard, it is competitive and boring (lots of studying), which I suppose can be both good and bad. I was told this by a not-so-smart girl who is a big partier, so she isn't really a fit for that atmosphere. I think it really depends on the person.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
swags_006
Posted: March 7, 2008 7:44:45 PM

I just got into UWO and I've been down their to visit friends before, but I've only been in the Huron residence and Saugeen and Essex
they're all fun and nice but I don't know where I would stay?

UWO '12 Social Science
Karie
Posted: March 7, 2008 8:13:50 PM

I haven't seen the residences there, but from all the advice I've gathered, it basically comes to this:

If you can afford suite-style, that would definitely be awesome, because there's separate bathrooms and the residence overall is VERY nice... or at least decent.

For the traditional, let's just say it may not be as spacious and appealing, although this doesn't make it less of a good experience.

Of course, that is why suite style is so much more expensive.

Secondly... it does say that 1st year students have a 1/3 chance of getting into Saugeen-Maitland (traditional). And there's also a good chance of getting a double room too...

In terms of the experience, I'm sure it really depends on your personality... although I am a little bit afraid of Saugeen-Maitland... it does have mostly 1st year students... thus more known as the "party residence."
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: March 8, 2008 12:08:12 AM

Most residences other than London Hall (which is strictly upper-year) and Alumni Hall (which is 50-50) are primarily (95%+) first-year students. It isn't for that reason that Saugeen is considered a party residence. I really don't think it is that bad. The parties "per capita" is not that much higher than any other residence, but with double the number of students of the next most populous residence, you have to expect at least double the number of parties. Unless if you make it that way, the atmosphere will not interfere with your studying (which you will mainly be doing at the library no matter which residence you end up at).

You can pretty much count on having a double room too (if you choose/are put in a traditional-style residence). Chances are you will get along with your roommate, so having a roommate is usually a good thing. When my roommate went home for weekends, the room just wasn't the same.

asheldon
Posted: March 8, 2008 2:00:25 PM

I lived in Med/Syd hall in first year and loved it! It was traditional style, and although it is older and less "nice" than say perth or elgin, it has it's charm and there seems to be a larger sense of pride in it's residents! The fact that it is traditional style I felt allowed me to meet far more ppl than I would have in the other appartment or suite style residences. All my friends who lived in the appartment or suite style residences didn't know anyone in the residences, even though their residences were usually about half the size of Med/Syd. At Med/Syd, people would always have their doors open, giving you the opportunity to walk in and introduce yourself a little easier in the first few weeks, where as Perth or Elgin seemed closed off. All in all, I loved Med/Syd, I loved my roommate, and felt we were very well matched (of course there are always horror stories of terrible roommates), but no matter which residence you live in, you'll have a good time, it all just depends on the experience you're looking for.
bigbadsheep
Posted: March 10, 2008 1:07:08 PM

Is anyone here a current resident at Perth or has visited it enough to give some insight? Doing some research into it, it seems like my most economic choice in what I am looking for in terms of Rez. I want to know what type of atmosphere it has, how the food is, how easy it is to meet people, are there parties weekly(not crazy parties, but just if people usually all get together on a friday night to release the tension of the week)? What type of people are the majority of Perth residents, quiet studious types, upper year, wild bunch or a combination of all?
I did some research on the housing site, but these questions were still left unanswered, so please don't CnP the link for them.

mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: March 10, 2008 4:14:24 PM

I went to Perth a couple of times when I was in first year. It is a nice place (just like the suite styles), but I still don't think it has the inherently sociable atmosphere that you find in traditional styles. I went to the same floor both times (it was a Kin floor) and they seemed pretty tight, especially considering that the rooms are a little set back.

The residences all run on the same menu plan, so the food at Perth doesn't really differ from that of any other residence. One nice thing about Perth (and Essex), however, is that it is located right next to a Pizza Hut and Subway (and a Mac's convenience store), so if you ever really don't like the menu for the night, you can just go to either of those places.

Like I said, traditional styles are the place to be if you really want to meet people. There are people who will be able to socialize in any environment and there are also people who will not socialize regardless of the environment; for the 80% in between, traditional style is ideal. Perth sort of prides itself on being quite sociable for a suite-style (-like) residence, probably because the floors do a lot of activities together. My brother's residence at Fanshawe was too typical of a suite style: he's neither sociable nor antisociable (if anything, he is more sociable), but he didn't really think his residence was a good place to meet people and thus had very few friends. That residence's problem was that it didn't split its large floors into sizable chunks, which is one thing that Perth does (instead of having the 4th floor, there is 4 North and 4 South), and it makes floor activities easier and more effective.

Every residence has parties on Friday (and Saturday and Thursday) nights; your floor may not have one every Friday night, but there will always be at least one party somewhere in your residence on one of those nights, except during exam times. In the unlikely event that that doesn't happen you can always head over to Saugeen (just make sure to get in before 7; I think all residences now block non-residents from entering past that time).

Other than Alumni and London, all residences are at least 90% first years. With the exception of Saugeen (which, as you know is known as a party residence and thus attracts partiers and deters the studious types), all residences have the same types of people. Perth is a nice residence, and it certainly gives you the best of both worlds. However, that is exactly why you will truly be lucky if you get in (a lot more people put it as their first choice than there are spots available).

bigbadsheep
Posted: March 11, 2008 5:05:55 PM

Can you use your meal plan rez dollars from Perth to eat at another rez and vice versa or would you have to use Flex dollars?

mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: March 11, 2008 7:17:42 PM

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure you can use your meal plan money. Flex dollars is for the food outlets and vending machines if I recall correctly.

bigbadsheep
Posted: March 11, 2008 9:32:17 PM

I won't quote you on that, but it is somewhat reassuring. Do you know if there are any all you can eat dining halls? I saw Saugeen has the marchee style, but I'm guessing that's only in terms of them having it set up in different stations and you just pick out what you want? I love my food, and I love eating, I'm even going with the largest meal plan option for first year until I get a feel for the place, so just wondering if they do have any all you can eat meal halls or any at the affiliate colleges that I can visit maybe once or twice?

duckyyy
Posted: March 11, 2008 10:19:07 PM

There are no all you can eat halls, and I'm pretty sure they don't have it at any affliates.

If you're on main campus, your res dollars will work on any other res.
jelllybean17
Posted: March 12, 2008 10:06:57 AM

I'm from Windsor and went to Western for their March Break Open House. Was it every snowy!! lol But anyways, the residences are awesome. Not sure if anyone posted yet, but here's a link to their rez site.

http://www.uwo.ca/hfs/housing/residence/index.htm

Click on "Residences" in the orange banner. Then click the residence from the left side, and go on the virtual tour of the building. smile

UWO 2012 - BioMed
kyleh
Posted: March 12, 2008 11:19:14 AM

Check out this for residence dining.

http://www.uwo.ca/hfs/food/resfood/menu.htm

bigbadsheep
Posted: March 14, 2008 11:48:21 PM

A thought that has recently occured to me, how is Saugeen considered the party rez, if anything I would have guessed that one of the suite style buildings would be a party rez due to the fact that people can have like 20 or so people jamming in the living room. Where do parties at Saugeen go on? In the halls, the common room, how does that stuff work, are there random drunk people running around the halls at one in the morning lol? I'm looking at Saugeen as a possible option instead of Perth because I can save an extra 1000, and I need to pinch every penny.