We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Queens Life Sciences Options
Hritik
Posted: November 3, 2009 10:29:57 PM

Groups: Member

Of all the major Life Science programs, the path to Queens Life Science, is least clear in terms of information. To go Queens Life Science, one has to take first common 'Sciences' year, with 735 other students. At the end of the first year, only 220 students get accepted into Queens Life Sciences. Realize that not everyone wants to go Life Sciences, from the common first year, but 515 students of 735 students, will NOT be making into the Life Sciences. That is a pretty high number, throwing some element of doubt due to high risk level. To date, no one has been able point me to suitable info on web-site nor is able to clearly articulate what options there are if student does not make the cut of first 220, i.e. alternative would be to do B.Sc with Biology or BioChemistry concentrations, or how many spaces there are for each of these alternatives in Year 2.

Does anyone with knowledge of Queens Sciences and Life Sciences program, shed some light on what happens if one does not make it to Life Sciences, after the first year? I am sure there is good explanation for this, with Queens ranked amongst top programs. Perhaps a Queens student has better information. Any pointers would be appreciated.

NOTE - I have since found lot more information, including the path and options. Here are the links:
http://meds.queensu.ca/lifesciences/careers
http://www.queensu.ca/biology/index.html
http://meds.queensu.ca/biochem/undergraduate_studies

Life Science (under Careers) shows 42% end up as Health Care Professionals, including Medicine

============
Accepted: Western
Offered: Western, Queens, McMaster, Guelph and Ottawa BioMedical Science
ShootingStars
Posted: November 3, 2009 11:07:30 PM

Some would transfer to other uni life science i woudl thnk
Jera
Posted: November 4, 2009 8:59:37 AM

Life Sciences is the largest Major/Specialization at Queen's. You need to have marks in the high 70s in your first year to get into the program. Out of those 700+ people, many go into bio, psych, biochem, chem, physics, and many other majors. It is not difficult to get into Life Sciences as long as you do well in your first year university.
Hritik
Posted: November 4, 2009 12:41:19 PM

Jera wrote:
Life Sciences is the largest Major/Specialization at Queen's. You need to have marks in the high 70s in your first year to get into the program. Out of those 700+ people, many go into bio, psych, biochem, chem, physics, and many other majors. It is not difficult to get into Life Sciences as long as you do well in your first year university.

Thanks, Jera. So, I assume that one has to take suitable pre-requisite subjects that will go for both Life Science and the back-up plan, say Biochem or Biology major. But, as you said, if one does well in the first year, it probably has enough spaces in Life Sciences.

Comparing it to McMaster, where once you get into Life Sciences, one is guaranteed entry into the Year 2 Life Science (subject to passing marks), there was an element of uncertainty. UWO has even more element of uncertainty, as one has to keep on competing at the end of Year 1 and Year 2 for competitive entry into Biomedical Sciences.

Anyway, your response is appreciated.

============
Hritik
Posted: November 4, 2009 12:44:04 PM

ShootingStars wrote:
Some would transfer to other uni life science i woudl thnk

Thanks for reminding that. So, the back-up plan should be, having this option ready, in-case one is unable to make it to the cut-off for Life Sciences. Then again, the question would be - if one does not make it to the Life Science cut-off (76% or so), then what other Life Science program would accept you in the Year 2? Risk is that it may not be the top tier research universities like Queens, UWO or McMaster, unless someone has more specific info on this...

============
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: November 4, 2009 8:38:30 PM

^ I don't know how it is at Queen's, but just to clarify the Western thing: just remember that only the honours specializations and double majors in the medical science disciplines are competitive. If you have an interest in physiology (for example) but don't get into the HSP Physiology module, it's hardly like you can't pursue your interest. You can still take all the courses that an HSP Physiology student takes as a Major in Physiology (non-competitive) student... EXCEPT for the physiology honours research project. But then you'd miss out on a research project, which may affect your chances at getting into a Master's or PhD program? Yes, but you could always just volunteer with a professor on the side, or work with a prof during the summer/do NSERC. That even looks better on your resume because it shows you completely voluntarily wanted to do research and didn't just do it because it was a requirement of your program.

Really, the only difference is going to be the title of your degree, which doesn't matter because you're not going to get a job with it anyway, and professional schools and graduate schools don't care about the title (not that employers would either).

In sum, it's pretty dumb to not want to go to Western because you're afraid of not getting into BMSc. My guess is the same thing can be said for Queen's Life Sci and other such programs.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
Hritik
Posted: November 4, 2009 10:03:52 PM

mynameismattgotmlgo wrote:
^ I don't know how it is at Queen's, but just to clarify the Western thing: just remember that only the honours specializations and double majors in the medical science disciplines are competitive. If you have an interest in physiology (for example) but don't get into the HSP Physiology module, it's hardly like you can't pursue your interest. You can still take all the courses that an HSP Physiology student takes as a Major in Physiology (non-competitive) student... EXCEPT for the physiology honours research project. But then you'd miss out on a research project, which may affect your chances at getting into a Master's or PhD program? Yes, but you could always just volunteer with a professor on the side, or work with a prof during the summer/do NSERC. That even looks better on your resume because it shows you completely voluntarily wanted to do research and didn't just do it because it was a requirement of your program.

Really, the only difference is going to be the title of your degree, which doesn't matter because you're not going to get a job with it anyway, and professional schools and graduate schools don't care about the title (not that employers would either).

In sum, it's pretty dumb to not want to go to Western because you're afraid of not getting into BMSc. My guess is the same thing can be said for Queen's Life Sci and other such programs.

Just exploring the process and options at each. You certainly helped me clear UWO process, earlier. In terms of ranking, currently UWO BioMedical has an edge over equal second McMaster Life Science and Queens Life Science. UOttawa and Guelph as back-ups. I have done Fall Preview in McMaster, and have UWO and Queens to go. I just want to get feel of environment, before finalizing my decision. I am scoring high 80's average, so have a pretty good chance at all three, and in Year 1, should not drop more than 5-10% to make the cut at UWO BMSc. BSc with BioMedical Science Major is equally good, the worst case scenario. Path at McMaster is clear too, but at Queens, path is not clear. Was hoping Queens student clarifies that.

============
thatp0lak
Posted: February 16, 2010 5:13:46 AM

Jera wrote:

@ Hritik,

Not sure if you'll look at this now, but here's the info you've been looking for:

Your concerns seem genuine and typical of terrified Sr. highschool students; it's kind of cute.

I'm at Queen's for the BSCH KIN program, but have about a dozen friends in the LifeSci Major, and this is where taking that MDM4U credit would have paid off (basic stats).

Statistics can be misleading if misinterpretted. What Jera said is 100% accurate, the cutoff (although very dynamic due to certain program caps as you so explicitly outlined above, "220") was around 78.5% last year (in '08-'09). That could be a little high, but better for you to get into your head not to spend mommy and daddy's hard-saved money at your local Fanatic's or LegendZ underage bar.

Anyways, just work hard in first year and you have nothing to worry about. The 'scary' ~550 people who don't get into the program are USUALLY a mixed product of: people changing opinions, getting a taste for university life and mostly just under-performing at this level of schooling; It's not quite as lax as highschool anymore. However, if you're basically not ****rded, you can make the cut off. Just try to go to classes, take notes, don't drink more than 4 days a week, come prepared to class and labs, and you'll be a shoe-in. Then again, it depends on how 'easy' your education was at the high-school level in comparison to others.

Wish you luck in your studies, keep me updated.

Queen's BSCH KIN '13
granni
Posted: February 18, 2010 9:09:58 PM

thatp0lak wrote:
Jera wrote:

@ Hritik,

Not sure if you'll look at this now, but here's the info you've been looking for:

Your concerns seem genuine and typical of terrified Sr. highschool students; it's kind of cute.

I'm at Queen's for the BSCH KIN program, but have about a dozen friends in the LifeSci Major, and this is where taking that MDM4U credit would have paid off (basic stats).

Statistics can be misleading if misinterpretted. What Jera said is 100% accurate, the cutoff (although very dynamic due to certain program caps as you so explicitly outlined above, "220") was around 78.5% last year (in '08-'09). That could be a little high, but better for you to get into your head not to spend mommy and daddy's hard-saved money at your local Fanatic's or LegendZ underage bar.

Anyways, just work hard in first year and you have nothing to worry about. The 'scary' ~550 people who don't get into the program are USUALLY a mixed product of: people changing opinions, getting a taste for university life and mostly just under-performing at this level of schooling; It's not quite as lax as highschool anymore. However, if you're basically not ****rded, you can make the cut off. Just try to go to classes, take notes, don't drink more than 4 days a week, come prepared to class and labs, and you'll be a shoe-in. Then again, it depends on how 'easy' your education was at the high-school level in comparison to others.

+1 lol nice first post

McGill 2012, BSc- Physics
Luctor et Emergo
Life is crap.....learn too shovel it.
Please stop feeding the trolls, kicking him back under is only amusing for a little while.
Hurt by a few, but so many have to pay.
Hritik
Posted: February 20, 2010 11:01:08 AM

thatp0lak wrote:

@ Hritik,

..... Your concerns seem genuine and typical of terrified Sr. highschool students; it's kind of cute.

... statistics can be misleading if misinterpretted. What Jera said is 100% accurate, the cutoff (although very dynamic due to certain program caps as you so explicitly outlined above, "220") was around 78.5% last year (in '08-'09).

... Anyways, just work hard in first year and you have nothing to worry about. The 'scary' ~550 people who don't get into the program are USUALLY a mixed product of: people changing opinions, getting a taste for university life and mostly just under-performing at this level of schooling; It's not quite as lax as highschool anymore. However, if you're basically not ****rded, you can make the cut off. Just try to go to classes, take notes, don't drink more than 4 days a week, come prepared to class and labs, and you'll be a shoe-in. Then again, it depends on how 'easy' your education was at the high-school level in comparison to ..

Thank you for taking time. I actually get all that, and whichever offer I finally end-up accepting, I do intend to put my head down and focus for at least the first year until I am on track and settled in my way. The point was that the high school average of 87-89% for admitted / entrance students (cut-off is 84%+), and first year average cut-off of 78.5% for Life Science (and that too for the first 220 of 755), tells me that there MUST be a hugh drop in percentage. Why do I care about it, if I work hard - well I would say most students want to work hard (though not all), and the drop could be despite hard work due to change in teaching method / environment. The number of students not making it seemed too high a proportion (550 from 755), to account for students changing minds, or decompressing from school environment. Fear I had was that if I did not make the cut of 78.5% despite hard work, then I am *rewed, trying to find my path out of that hole. I guess, it is just fear, and your answer helps partially address answer to that. I am actually attending the Spring Preview, and will dig into this more... UWO, Queens, McMaster are all very closely bunched in my choices... Info appreciated...

============
Hritik
Posted: April 14, 2010 7:12:21 PM

thatp0lak wrote:
Jera wrote:

@ Hritik,

Following my visit to Queens during March break, I certainly clarified a lot of information. Currently, it is equal first ranking between Western BioMed and Queens Life Science, with McMaster Life Science closely behind.....

============
walkonwater
Posted: May 16, 2010 5:12:06 PM

Jera wrote:

Wait what??
isn't bio and biochem part of the major/specialization section of life sciences?
And if you arent in the 220 students in life sci, how could you possibly major in bio or biochem?

Queens Science 2014
Hritik
Posted: May 16, 2010 7:07:03 PM

walkonwater wrote:
Jera wrote:

Wait what??
isn't bio and biochem part of the major/specialization section of life sciences?
And if you arent in the 220 students in life sci, how could you possibly major in bio or biochem?

Queens is my equal first at this time, with Western, however, I must be honest that my experience of finding the career path through the Queens Life Science program, is too confusing for a future student trying to weigh their options. Despite several attempts to communicate with admissions, no one seemed to know clear and concise answer. I am sure it is to benefit of all future students to have that information available in a clear and concise way. I finally, got to the answer I was looking for, by persistently pushing for their response, and personally talking to their dean at Open House.

Though it has never been explained, I noted that Life Science and BioChemistry are somehow linked to the Queens med school. I am not sure if this has any significance or not. Please note the web address of their respective home pages:

http://meds.queensu.ca/lifesciences/overview_of_life_sciences_program
http://meds.queensu.ca/biochem/

Anyway, the answer to you question is that Queens Biochemistry has cut-off of 70% and accepts 70 students in their program in second year. Queens Biology department seems to run it's own programs and there is no cut-off (assume if one passes i.e. 65%, they will be accepted in Biology). Though the number I heard in one conversation, was 56 students in the second year. So, 220+70+56=346 students accounted for from original 735 or so. That was enough for me to make my decision and back-up plan. If I do not get into Life Science (outside chance), then I can take either BioChemistry or Biology.

One thing I never understood is why all the secrecy in sharing info? I got clear info from admission departments of McMaster, Western and Guelph. At Queens, the admissions department or the dean must know exactly how many students ended up in different disciplines last year - Computer Science, Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Earth Sciences, and other remaining science departments and whether these numbers are subject to cut-off or not. Queens is a world class institution and leader in programs provided, so I find it difficult to believe that they would not have this info readily available. A thought did cross my mind.... is there something future students are not supposed to know? Then I ruled that out. Probably they are too academically focused to realise what future students are going through. I really do like the campus feel and everthing else they have to offer, except this lack of easily accessible information.

============
walkonwater
Posted: May 16, 2010 10:25:03 PM

Oh my god. That's so ridiculous.
Bio + biochem are outside lifesci?

I think you might be right though. They had specific tours and information sessions for the biochem department and specific information sessions for lifesci at the March open house.

Queens Science 2014
XundefinedX
Posted: May 19, 2010 12:53:55 AM

Hey Guys

I rly need advice on my university choice
I am very happy that I got in McMaster Health Sciences. Visited the Health Sci campus, like it very much.

However, Queen's Life Science is offering me the Dr Iris May National $48,000, the highest entrance award in Canada, 4 annually

I am very confused about where to choose. Is there any other benefits with Queen's Major Admissions Awards besides just money? (Like identification as high achievers. social events with professors, research opportunities, and etc)

Is Queen's Life Science good in terms of research opportunties and admission to Medical School?

Please give me some advice and guidance. Thnx =D

Queen's Life Science 2014
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: May 19, 2010 1:00:39 AM

^ Go to Queen's.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
qwertqwert
Posted: May 19, 2010 4:01:58 AM

XundefinedX wrote:
Hey Guys

I rly need advice on my university choice
I am very happy that I got in McMaster Health Sciences. Visited the Health Sci campus, like it very much.

However, Queen's Life Science is offering me the Dr Iris May National $48,000, the highest entrance award in Canada, 4 annually

lol.

Go to Queens.

lol.

Meatball Engineering '12
能ある鷹は爪を隠す