We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

cancelling osap completely? Options
katie8
Posted: August 31, 2009 8:24:30 PM
Groups: Member

i originally applied for osap and received a small amount. my parents have decided that based on that amount, they can handle the fees and that i dont need the osap. is it possible to cancel the osap? and if so, how do i go about cancelling it? i havent received any money yet since the fall semester hasnt started.

do i simply write my school's financial office and explain?
ARMY101
Posted: August 31, 2009 9:36:27 PM

You've already made a contract with the government stating you'd be borrowing money. You can't just negate that contract after you've created it, but you could try writing to them to explain.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
CRAZYBUBBA
Posted: August 31, 2009 9:48:40 PM

Seriously ARMY?

Katie, just don't pick up the $. If you really care about doing it right you can let your school's OSAP person know that you will not be picking up the $.

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens.- Carl Jung
katie8
Posted: August 31, 2009 10:02:24 PM

CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
Seriously ARMY?

Katie, just don't pick up the $. If you really care about doing it right you can let your school's OSAP person know that you will not be picking up the $.

thanks. smile i figured it was something simple like just letting them know, but i wanted to confirm it. id rather inform them and cancel it then pick up money ill no longer be needing.

millerst
Posted: September 1, 2009 6:38:24 AM

ARMY101 wrote:
You've already made a contract with the government stating you'd be borrowing money. You can't just negate that contract after you've created it, but you could try writing to them to explain.

Seriously? No one can force you to pick up the OSAP money.

UTSC Co-op Management '13
ARMY101
Posted: September 1, 2009 7:41:30 AM

millerst wrote:
ARMY101 wrote:

I never said anyone could.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
millerst
Posted: September 1, 2009 10:22:47 AM

ARMY101 wrote:
millerst wrote:
ARMY101 wrote:

I never said anyone could.

No, but you implied it by saying the contract must not be broken, therefore she must pick up the money in order to ensure the contract is fulfilled. OSAP does not work that way.

UTSC Co-op Management '13
Ooosh
Posted: September 1, 2009 10:42:33 AM

Just go to your aid office and ask them.

Queen's '10
Ryerson '11

Poppy
Posted: September 1, 2009 11:54:55 AM

Army's being an idiot. You are in no way contractually obliged to take on a loan you don't want or need.

I have cancelled my OSAP applications three times this year, at three different schools. All you need to do is fax your Financial Aid/Awards Office your request to cancel the application. You do not need to contact the OSAP office itself. On this faxed letter you must include your student number and SIN number (which is why you need to fax this instead of emailing it, or calling them.) You don't need to include a reason why, just make sure that your student number and SIN number are there, and it should be cancelled in a few days.

I should tell you that I was warned by one of the schools that in heavy periods of traffic they might forget to do it so you should check often and call them if they forgot -- but in my experience this hasn't happened and it has only ever taken a couple of days.

You could also just not pick up the money, but I personally would prefer to get everything organized and settled than risk any confusion.
katie8
Posted: September 1, 2009 8:46:01 PM

thanks everyone for the help! im going to go tomorrow and cancel it. i feel better doing that then just not picking up the money. smile
Poppy
Posted: September 2, 2009 10:50:03 AM

katie8 wrote:
im going to go tomorrow and cancel it.

... Go to the closest fax machine?

*sigh*
cowgoose12
Posted: September 3, 2009 5:47:59 PM

phone them and cancel dumbscrew
afranklin_18
Posted: August 13, 2010 12:36:36 PM

i have the same issue. but i want to get osap for next year. will there be a problem?