We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

UBC versus UVIC Options
modified.prestige
Posted: July 29, 2009 4:29:12 PM
Groups: Member

I know most people would say UBC, no contest. However, I've heard UVic has a more relaxed environment and it's not as competitive. I'm looking for a good place to study with the chance of going on to graduate school later on. Can anyone who lives in BC or has experience with one or both schools offer an opinion? I'm well aware of UBC's higher ranking and somewhat international rep, but how much does that really matter for undergrad anyway?
hexogen
Posted: July 29, 2009 4:35:57 PM

who cares, go where you think its better for yourself.

I am in first year university and therefore may give amazing advice.

Chemical Engineering/Metallurgical Engineering
dark.avalon
Posted: July 29, 2009 4:49:57 PM

hexogen wrote:
who cares, go where you think its better for yourself.
Agreed. Undergraduate doesn't have as much effect as what most people say unless it's something like Ryerson vs. Harvard or Yale vs. SFU.. some huge discrepancy like that.
Modified.Prestige, did you just join today or did you join before and felt like making a new account?

Meh.
For all people needing information about university, please refer to the following link first due to the excessively repetitive questions: University - Applications, Finances, Extracurriculars, etc. Please and Thank You.
Leaving the forum for good.
Weirdo87
Posted: July 29, 2009 5:02:22 PM

modified.prestige wrote:
I know most people would say UBC, no contest. However, I've heard UVic has a more relaxed environment and it's not as competitive. I'm looking for a good place to study with the chance of going on to graduate school later on. Can anyone who lives in BC or has experience with one or both schools offer an opinion? I'm well aware of UBC's higher ranking and somewhat international rep, but how much does that really matter for undergrad anyway?

It depends on what program you're looking to enter. I only chose UVic over UBC because UVic's Writing program begins in year one, whereas UBC's doesn't begin until year three.

If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it still kill the squirrel it landed on?

I'll procrastinate tomorrow...

UVic
Double Major: Writing and Philosophy
hizzo
Posted: July 29, 2009 5:03:09 PM

There's actually quite a bit of prestige difference between UBC and UVic though...

UBC vs. SFU = not a big difference
UBC vs. UVic = pretty big difference
dark.avalon
Posted: July 29, 2009 5:05:37 PM

hizzo wrote:
There's actually quite a bit of prestige difference between UBC and UVic though...

UBC vs. SFU = not a big difference
UBC vs. UVic = pretty big difference
That is somewhat true. SFU and UVic would have a smaller prestige difference than UBC vs. SFU for areas out of the BC region.

Meh.
For all people needing information about university, please refer to the following link first due to the excessively repetitive questions: University - Applications, Finances, Extracurriculars, etc. Please and Thank You.
soccerchamp17
Posted: July 29, 2009 5:49:55 PM

UVIC is less "cut-throat" than UBC-Vancouver. It's a very good school, if you're planning on going to graduate school than it would be a good bet.
milktea02
Posted: July 30, 2009 7:12:01 PM

UVIC has rabbits. UBC has squirrels.

UBC Science '13
UBC CSP 09
UBC '13
Place Vanier 09/10 and 10/11

Majoring in Chemistry
dark.avalon
Posted: July 30, 2009 10:06:40 PM

milktea02 wrote:
UVIC has rabbits. UBC has squirrels.
U of A has both.
Side note, they're most likely hares.

Meh.
vancouver2010
Posted: September 12, 2010 7:59:26 PM

modified.prestige wrote:

if you want to go to grad school....uVic is in general a lot easier than UBC or SFU for grading. That helps a lot for apply for grad school, all else constant considering you are not capable of an A average w/out studying 24/7

it is as a result more relaxed, and it is very pretty (i dont go there tho..)

However, if you are planning on going to UBC post grad, please note that UBC favours their students

ex. if you have a 4.0 or 4.3 CGPA in SFU or elsewhere, both ges converted to a MAXIMUM 90% frown

keep that in mind (i know this post is old...but still kinda important)

lemun
Posted: September 12, 2010 10:54:40 PM

Come to UBC okanagan lol