We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

What is the difference between management and commerce? Options
backinthepool
Posted: April 2, 2008 10:11:52 PM
Groups: Member

again its me=D

so i know two programs offer different degress, bba and bcom

but what is the real difference in terms of courses...future career,,and stuff like that?

yo all of you guys are brilliant, so please fill me in here!

thanks guys!!!
centrinoduo
Posted: April 2, 2008 11:14:14 PM

backinthepool wrote:
again its me=D

so i know two programs offer different degress, bba and bcom

but what is the real difference in terms of courses...future career,,and stuff like that?

yo all of you guys are brilliant, so please fill me in here!

thanks guys!!!

BBA is for management type jobs, while BCom is more general, such as accountants
mike_
Posted: April 2, 2008 11:31:27 PM

I don't really understand what "management" is in the first place.
You go into a career based on your major (finance, accounting, marketing, hr, etc) and then work your up to become a manager after several years. That's the path that I have understood.
I had never heard anyone become a manager straight out of university, unless it's something like fast food.

I really think management is a misnomer, they should just call it business and leave it at that.

Ditto with Business 'administration.'

Ryerson 2012
Politics & Governance
eddiehosa
Posted: April 3, 2008 12:15:18 AM

centrinoduo wrote:

BBA is for management type jobs, while BCom is more general, such as accountants

That is incorrect. BCom and BBA are pretty much the same things. Look at the course structure and curriculum and you'll see that a Queen's BCom and a Schulich iBBA are very similar. Both have similar courses - econ, etc, and both have the same rigour of international course elements in them.

By doing commerce, you can into various functional jobs. Here are a few of them...
- Marketing
- Consulting (including Management Consulting)
- Finance
- Accounting
- Human Resources

Most recently, "Management Consulting" is becoming a broad factor where you look at all aspects of the business, from finances to marketing strategies to operational procedures, and find a way to leverage them.

Also, some commerce grads continue onto Law or Masters of Public Administration or other graduate topics to further their studies.

Hope that helps.