We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

How much money do store managers make? Options
falconhawk
Posted: June 14, 2009 9:37:46 PM
Groups: Member

How much money do store managers make?

if we don't want to study, are there other options to make enough money?

Will we get enough money if we work as a store manager like MacDonalds, Tim Hortons, Pizza Pizza, Zellers, etc.? How much those managers make per year?

luna_storm13
Posted: June 15, 2009 11:10:20 AM

my mom is a store manager she makes $12 an hour which means she makes about $24,000 a year.
she manages a wholesale business, two stores, and a web store.

I wouldn't suggest dropping out of school if you don't have to.

Nipissing Bachelor of Art History with Orientation to Teaching 2013
ARMY101
Posted: June 15, 2009 11:11:02 AM

A McDonald's Store Manager starts around $45-50,000 a year. They're a salaried position so they're required to work at least 40 hours a week, but often do more.

I don't think you realize the time period under which it'd take to become a store manager though. McDonald's alone often has store managers who have been with the company for 15+ years. They're AT LEAST 30 years old. The training program for store managers is 18 months long, and that's AFTER you've done two years worth of lower-level management training. It's not like you could just apply for a store manager position and get it.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
swoodrow
Posted: June 15, 2009 11:59:01 AM

ARMY101 wrote:
A McDonald's Store Manager starts around $45-50,000 a year. They're a salaried position so they're required to work at least 40 hours a week, but often do more.

I don't think you realize the time period under which it'd take to become a store manager though. McDonald's alone often has store managers who have been with the company for 15+ years. They're AT LEAST 30 years old. The training program for store managers is 18 months long, and that's AFTER you've done two years worth of lower-level management training. It's not like you could just apply for a store manager position and get it.

The store manager at my mcdonalds is 24 D:

ARMY101
Posted: June 15, 2009 12:13:15 PM

He's definitely an exception razz Sometimes if corporate stores do large promotions/rearrangements of people then some may be promoted very quickly. One of our stores has a 23 year old acting store manager because the store manager is on parental leave. A month ago, this manager was a lower-ranking swing manager and now she's running the store razz

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
swoodrow
Posted: June 15, 2009 12:18:41 PM

ARMY101 wrote:
He's definitely an exception razz Sometimes if corporate stores do large promotions/rearrangements of people then some may be promoted very quickly. One of our stores has a 23 year old acting store manager because the store manager is on parental leave. A month ago, this manager was a lower-ranking swing manager and now she's running the store razz

Ahaha! That's hilarious! His twin brother is the store manager at another store too, haha. Yeah, I started like, a year ago, and one of the crew trainers who works in kitchen was promoted to swing manager to salaried manager in like, 2 months, ridiculous razz
Another funny thing, like a whole family works at my store, the mom, sister, and brother. Two of them are managers razz

ARMY101
Posted: June 15, 2009 1:19:38 PM

swoodrow wrote:
ARMY101 wrote:

Ahaha! That's hilarious! His twin brother is the store manager at another store too, haha. Yeah, I started like, a year ago, and one of the crew trainers who works in kitchen was promoted to swing manager to salaried manager in like, 2 months, ridiculous razzAnother funny thing, like a whole family works at my store, the mom, sister, and brother. Two of them are managers razz

That's not even (officially) possible. It takes four months to be trained as a swing manager, and an additional six-eight months to do training for second assistant.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
swoodrow
Posted: June 15, 2009 1:33:02 PM

Maybe he was training when I was first hired, who knows?

ARMY101
Posted: June 15, 2009 1:37:53 PM

Guess so, but unlikely.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
Kaylya
Posted: June 15, 2009 1:49:36 PM

I think it varies a lot depending on the store you're managing.

A friend of mine's sister was doing a lower level management job (in charge of the cosmetics department or something like that) at a big Loblaws and apparently the store manager there makes like $250,000. I think her job was like $30,000 or so though. If I recall correctly there were 3 tiers of store management, I think it's the people in charge of the sections, assistant managers, and the store manager. For context this friend's sister almost but didn't quite graduate high school and then did Travel & Tourism at college and didn't finish that either.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
soccerchamp17
Posted: June 16, 2009 2:50:27 AM

ARMY101 wrote:

Wohhh $45,000!?! I so wish I took my mcjob seriously, and didn't get fired. frown

I could be a shift manager right now! If not for the great money and respect, I'd do it because I'd be making a difference!

... And not to mention all the mchoneys that would be falling over one another for a little mcmanager mcchicken sauce big grin
hizzo
Posted: June 16, 2009 3:41:07 AM

Money and respect at McDonalds? lol? roll eyes

How much money store managers make really depend on the store. If it's a small store like a Champs, Footlocker, Garage, EB Games..etc, they make high $20k to low $30k to start and perhaps get raises with more experience, some (but very few) make over $50,000 if they are stores in a big mall. A manager in a big store like Sears, Save-ons, or Sportchek, I've heard can make over $100,000. A lot of the money are made from bonuses like sales goals. There are quite a bit of store managers at small stores that get to that position at a relatively young age. Most store managers at small retail stores I've met are in their mid 20s. To be a general manager at a big store and really start making big bucks will take years upon years of experience and by then they are usually in their mid-30s (there are exceptions though, obviously). By the way, I know these numbers because I work in retail myself and I also know a couple of managers from other stores in the mall I work at.

I know people who finished a bachelor's degree but couldn't find a job in a related field, so they just went back to work full-time in what was originally just a part-time job. This is especially common if you majored in an unpopular subject or went to an inferior university, or even worse, majored in an unpopular subject at an inferior university.

If you surf around the career sites of universities, a lot of jobs for people in an uncompetitive department have average starting salaries around that of which a small store manager would make (high $20k to low $30k). So it really doesn't make sense to go through 4 years of school and pay tons of tuition if you could've just started working full-time out of high school and make just as much money as someone who has a bachelor's degree. But then again, an education opens so much doors and will probably lead to a more intrinsically fulfilling career than someone that just manages teenagers selling clothes or shoes.
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: June 16, 2009 11:43:45 AM

Army dreams of making 45k a year. Then he can get that Ferrari he's always wanted.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
ARMY101
Posted: June 16, 2009 11:47:54 AM

mynameismattgotmlgo wrote:
Army dreams of making 45k a year. Then he can get that Ferrari he's always wanted.

I'm going for higher than $45,000 wink That'll be my articling salary within the first year of being done school.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: June 16, 2009 11:56:22 AM

But then you'll never get to be a McDick's district manager pulling in 60 G's!

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
crackajack
Posted: June 16, 2009 12:16:37 PM

Kaylya wrote:

A friend of mine's sister was doing a lower level management job (in charge of the cosmetics department or something like that) at a big Loblaws and apparently the store manager there makes like $250,000.

That would be the store owner, not a manager. I know people who own large hardware store franchises (like Canadian Tire) making half a million in salary.

Queen's University Life Sciences '13
BigBMan
Posted: June 16, 2009 1:22:46 PM

Like Army said, it takes a LONG LONG time to become any type of manager. My current store manager at McDonalds has been working at McDonalds since she was my age and she only become a store manager like 4-5 years ago.

The next in line swing manager who gets paid about the same as the swing managers who've only been there for a couple of years has been working at McDonalds for about 20-30 years.

It's definately not something I would pursue my self, if you're thrown into it, then you can't do much about it.

University of Western Ontario 2014
Political Science w/ Ivey AEO Status
ARMY101
Posted: June 16, 2009 1:26:55 PM

mynameismattgotmlgo wrote:
But then you'll never get to be a McDick's district manager pulling in 60 G's!

I wouldn't mind a law position with the Corporation smile But no, I don't think I'd stick to upper-level management in comparison to being a lawyer for the company.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law
Kaylya
Posted: June 16, 2009 1:42:22 PM

crackajack wrote:
Kaylya wrote:

A friend of mine's sister was doing a lower level management job (in charge of the cosmetics department or something like that) at a big Loblaws and apparently the store manager there makes like $250,000.

That would be the store owner, not a manager. I know people who own large hardware store franchises (like Canadian Tire) making half a million in salary.

I don't think Loblaws is franchised.

FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
raindrops
Posted: June 17, 2009 1:04:21 AM

safeway manager(grocery store for the wast coast people) 100,000+
smile