We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Bachelor of Engineering vs. Bachelor of Technology Options
SDKtommy
Posted: May 17, 2009 8:17:36 AM
Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/26/2009
Posts: 2
Location: Canada
Hi guys, I have applied to engineering at a few schools and gotten all acceptances except for MacMaster. They have given me an alternative offer to the Bachelor of Technology program. I have researched about it online but all I can find out is that it is a new program and by the end of your undergraduate you get a university degree from MacMaster and a college diploma from Mohawk(the joint college for this program). This program still has the same prerequisite courses as Engineering. I'm just wondering what the differences are in terms of what you study and the job opportunities when you graduate. Also, if any current MacMaster students can weigh in, is it possible to switch into the engineering program if your first year GPA is high enough? Thanks for any help.
bijanv
Posted: May 17, 2009 12:55:52 PM
Rank: Président du conseil étudiant
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/4/2008
Posts: 1,125
Location: Toronto, ON
yeah forget Backelor of Technology. You won't become an engineer and just rather a technitian. If you got into eng programs in other places go there!

-University of Toronto Electrical Engineering 1T0 + PEY!
karla
Posted: May 18, 2009 6:44:25 PM

Rank: Student Body President
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/5/2008
Posts: 6,357
Go for the Bachelor of Engineering. With the Technology degree you'll probably end up doing an engineer's dirty work for much less pay
hexogen
Posted: May 18, 2009 6:51:21 PM

Rank: Student Body President
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/19/2009
Posts: 1,809
Location: What a stupid question
what other uni's did you apply to?

I am in first year university and therefore may give amazing advice.

Chemical Engineering/Metallurgical Engineering
cypherchyk
Posted: May 19, 2009 4:37:45 AM

Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2008
Posts: 15
Location: Ontario
bijanv wrote:
yeah forget Backelor of Technology. You won't become an engineer and just rather a technitian. If you got into eng programs in other places go there!


Bachelor of Technology isn't that bad. If your really into Engineering, it really doesn't matter where you start. If you apply to OACETT, you can still get your primary engineering license, just like an engineer would; so it doesn't matter what degree/diploma you have, it's all about the work/ life experience.

And most programs do offer bridging courses for you to switch if your grades are good enough anyways. Do what you want and what you think is best for you.
Kaylya
Posted: May 19, 2009 9:24:00 AM

Rank: Student Body President
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/4/2008
Posts: 2,575
Location: Ottawa
The qualification the degree gives you is the same as the 3 year Engineering Technology programs offered by colleges, with some added management type classes.

It appears to be possible to get a P.Eng. designation after that program, but it's not the same as an Engineering degree and getting the P.Eng. requires a lot more work post degree.

If the idea of a more hands on, applied program appeals to you, go for the Eng. Tech program, but it's not the same as an Engineering degree. There definitely are decent jobs out there for Engineering Technologists and those programs suit some people a lot more than the engineering degrees.



FAQ's:
1. Will I get in? See: electronicinfo.ca for Ontario schools. If you have a couple percent above the marks there and it's not looking at supplementary, the answer is almost certainly yes.
2. Anything else: Google it before asking.
karla
Posted: May 19, 2009 2:27:24 PM

Rank: Student Body President
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/5/2008
Posts: 6,357
cypherchyk wrote:
bijanv wrote:
yeah forget Backelor of Technology. You won't become an engineer and just rather a technitian. If you got into eng programs in other places go there!


Bachelor of Technology isn't that bad. If your really into Engineering, it really doesn't matter where you start. If you apply to OACETT, you can still get your primary engineering license, just like an engineer would; so it doesn't matter what degree/diploma you have, it's all about the work/ life experience.

And most programs do offer bridging courses for you to switch if your grades are good enough anyways. Do what you want and what you think is best for you.


It's not as easy as you think to get your P.Eng with a Bachelor of Technology. Actually it's not easy at all, and you need a LOT of work experience until you are even able to write the many exams to allow you to do so
cypherchyk
Posted: May 20, 2009 10:26:39 PM

Rank: Frosh
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2008
Posts: 15
Location: Ontario
karla wrote:
cypherchyk wrote:
bijanv wrote:
yeah forget Backelor of Technology. You won't become an engineer and just rather a technitian. If you got into eng programs in other places go there!


Bachelor of Technology isn't that bad. If your really into Engineering, it really doesn't matter where you start. If you apply to OACETT, you can still get your primary engineering license, just like an engineer would; so it doesn't matter what degree/diploma you have, it's all about the work/ life experience.

And most programs do offer bridging courses for you to switch if your grades are good enough anyways. Do what you want and what you think is best for you.


It's not as easy as you think to get your P.Eng with a Bachelor of Technology. Actually it's not easy at all, and you need a LOT of work experience until you are even able to write the many exams to allow you to do so


Not what I heard when I talked to a rep from OACETT... I'm in the 3 year Engineering Technology course, and have the option of getting my bachelors of engineering/science... they told me that even if I don't go to uni, I'll just need to find the work experience... which can be hard for some people. If you know where to look it wouldn't be that hard. The provincial and federal government can help you get that experience, and you get paid while you learn. And taking courses here and there are alot cheaper than university, in an overall aspect.


Forum Jump

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1998-2008 studentawards.com & boursetudes.com - Studentawards Inc. All rights reserved.