We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

McMaster vs. Western Urgent!!!! Options
perple12
Posted: May 7, 2009 11:18:18 PM

Groups: Member

Hey Guys

I need some help in deciding what program to accept...
My goal is to get into med school.. lol like everyone else
but I'm not sure which program to accept

Accepted: McMaster Life Sciences, Western Health Sciences, Western BioMed Sci, UFT Life Sciences

I'm debating between McMaster Lifesci and Western BioMed Sci....

Before I was leaning more towards Western but things have changed.. and I'm considering life sciences at McMaster now..
I want to know what my options are from life sciences for careers in case I do not get into Med School. Also, do a lot of people get accepted in Med School from life sciences at McMaster? Will I be making a mistake accepting this?

I would like to know your opinion on which I should accept.. the deadline is approaching fast

Thank you!

Accepted: McMaster Life Sciences, UWO BioMed Sciences, UWO Health Sciences, UFT Life Sciences
Deciding: McMaster or Western
sara_h216
Posted: May 7, 2009 11:58:42 PM

perple12 wrote:
Hey Guys

I need some help in deciding what program to accept...
My goal is to get into med school.. lol like everyone else
but I'm not sure which program to accept

Accepted: McMaster Life Sciences, Western Health Sciences, Western BioMed Sci, UFT Life Sciences

I'm debating between McMaster Lifesci and Western BioMed Sci....

Thank you!

I was in the same position as you!! I was so set on western for about 2 months now. and 2 weeks ago, I began looking at mac life sci, and now im slowly leaning towards it. Here's the pros and cons i set out for each from another post.

My points are as follows so far:
Mac-
pros: closer to toronto, focus on science, the facilities on campus, hamilton is really nice, the variety of courses especially in upper years, so many clubs and lessons and such, of course reputation as a science school, more scholarships and such in higher years, has a GO bus station at the edge of campus, so i can easily come home on weekends ... etc.
cons: life sci program is too general, compared to med sci for eg.,random lottery for rez

Western-
pros: love the program and the different modules in 3rd/4th years, more specific compared to life sci, smaller class than mac or so ive heard, scholar's electives
cons: didn't get into scholar's electives which would've made me accept western right away, far from home, london is quite small

That's just my opinion as I stand now anyway.

To all the people that received messages from me, I'm not the only one that uses this account! I apologize for the messages! And yes, I'm in LIFE SCIENCE not Health SCIENCE.
zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:01:41 AM

It's easier to get a good GPA in Mac.

University of Guelph '13 - Bachelor of Science, Honours Major Biological Science

sara_h216
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:19:44 AM

zackboomer wrote:

I think they're pretty equal. And if anything, I'd think that it's easier to get a good GPA at Western not Mac.

But then again, I haven't been to either school, none of us for that matter.

To all the people that received messages from me, I'm not the only one that uses this account! I apologize for the messages! And yes, I'm in LIFE SCIENCE not Health SCIENCE.
zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:20:27 AM

sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:

I think they're pretty equal. And if anything, I'd think that it's easier to get a good GPA at Western not Mac.

trust me its easier

University of Guelph '13 - Bachelor of Science, Honours Major Biological Science

sara_h216
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:27:59 AM

zackboomer wrote:
sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:

trust me its easier

Really. Out of curiosity.. how come.. ?
And also, where are u planning on going, have you decided yet.

zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:37:15 AM

sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:
sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:

trust me its easier

I haven't decided on OUAC yet, but most likely Guelph

perple12
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:41:54 AM

thanks for the replies!

Yeah im having the toughest time ever deciding which one to go to...

At first, i was all for western and their biomed sci program, but after hearing about lifesci at Mcmaster... my opinion is changing lol

Also, other factors are influencing my choice to go to McMaster now...which makes it more difficult to choose
I want to know if there is a good future for lifesci and career options, that there is a good range of jobs for this program

Has anyone heard of people they know getting into Med School from McMaster Life Sciences??

Accepted: McMaster Life Sciences, UWO BioMed Sciences, UWO Health Sciences, UFT Life Sciences
sara_h216
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:48:42 AM

perple12 wrote:
thanks for the replies!

Yeah im having the toughest time ever deciding which one to go to...

At first, i was all for western and their biomed sci program, but after hearing about lifesci at Mcmaster... my opinion is changing lol

Also, other factors are influencing my choice to go to McMaster now...which makes it more difficult to choose
I want to know if there is a good future for lifesci and career options, that there is a good range of jobs for this program

Has anyone heard of people they know getting into Med School from McMaster Life Sciences??

To be honest, I don't know much about statistics, but, I do know that you have soo many options for med schools, I mean there's Canada and of course the US and caribbean schools. So, you definitely have options. As for range of jobs, there's other professional schools which are somewhat easier to get into (in terms of competition) such as pharmacy, optometry, dentistry, and such. So, you definitely do have the options. I have to admit though, You can't do much with just an undergrad degree and no prof. or grad. school smile

hope this helps!

PS- I think it would help if u do pros and cons for each school. Clearly in my list, Mcmaster wins razz

zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:49:12 AM

To be truthful, your undergrad school really doesn't matter. Just go to the school that has the easier program if you're looking to go to professional school afterwards.

sara_h216
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:49:27 AM

zackboomer wrote:
sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:
sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:

trust me its easier

I haven't decided on OUAC yet, but most likely Guelph

May I ask, why not Western or Mac. Just curious smile

sara_h216
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:50:03 AM

zackboomer wrote:
To be truthful, your undergrad school really doesn't matter. Just go to the school that has the easier program if you're looking to go to professional school afterwards.

+1
Only prob is, you can never know which one is easier until you're actually there frown Sucks.

perple12
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:54:14 AM

Yeah that's true

my pros/cons are basically the same, McMaster is so much closer to home (Oakville) than Western is.
I'm hoping that the open house at Mac this saturday will help me with my decision as well.

As for Life Sci... what could you do after getting the undergraduate degree.. there's med school, but what else?

zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:55:27 AM

sara_h216 wrote:
zackboomer wrote:

+1
Only prob is, you can never know which one is easier until you're actually there frown Sucks.

Its helpful to have that mindset if you get into like...Queens and Western, or Western and Guelph.

I haven't fully decided yet, but Guelph is smaller, and it is an easier program (so I've heard). Need that 3.7+ for Dental School razz

zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:57:25 AM

perple12 wrote:
Yeah that's true

my pros/cons are basically the same, McMaster is so much closer to home (Oakville) than Western is.
I'm hoping that the open house at Mac this saturday will help me with my decision as well.

As for Life Sci... what could you do after getting the undergraduate degree.. there's med school, but what else?

http://www.toeflaccess.com/articles/ETS/archive/us/study/ug_science.html

zackboomer
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:59:40 AM

Most people won't get into Med school in Ontario, it's extremely competitive. I probably won't, but you can always go out of province, or even out of country. US Med school usually costs more though.

mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:14:59 AM

Just glancing through this thread... I noticed you guys hold some non-conventional notions. a) People generally regard London as being nicer than Hamilton, which is generally considered a real 'hole (although I disagree and actually prefer Hamilton to London, most people do not share the same sentiment). b) People generally regard UWO as the "breeze" school, which I think is quite exaggerated, but there likely is some truth to it. Think differences in the range of 1-2% - not 4-5%.

And Mac and Western are about equal in terms of reputation for science programs... however, such a marginal difference in reputation should NOT be part of your decision-making process.

What I liked more about Western, aside from personal factors, was that the program was more in line with my interests. I like the three Ps of medical science: physiology, pharmacology, and pathology - courses that Mac is sort of lacking in.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13
perple12
Posted: May 8, 2009 12:19:36 PM

Is there a really big different in the two programs, other than choice of electives? Don't both generally take you to the same place?

haavard
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:23:04 PM

don't go to mac!
mynameismattgotmlgo
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:26:19 PM

perple12 wrote:
Is there a really big different in the two programs, other than choice of electives? Don't both generally take you to the same place?

Yep. Your not going to receive a better education, learn significantly more, have a significantly easier time, have more one-on-one time with your profs, etc, etc... at either of those schools.

The question you should be asking yourself is, where do I see myself spending the next four years of my life? Although I disagree with a lot of sara_h216's pros and cons, it is obvious that she is biased towards Mac. For that reason, I think she should go to Mac. She'll receive the same education as she would at Western, so she may as well go to the school that she personally prefers.

BMSc Honours Specialization in Medical Science, Minor in Psychology UWO '09
Bachelor of Pharmacy University of Alberta '13