We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

How hard is grade 11 compared to grade 10? Options
X-FactorVigi
Posted: April 24, 2009 10:45:26 AM

Groups: Member

hey everyone, im a grade 10 student and was wondering "how hard is grade eleven compared to 10?" Is the grade 11 math (Functions) hard? i have around a 97 in grade 10 math...and how about the sciences too. Also, do grade 11 marks really matter? if so, why, and if not, what grade 12 marks matter (ie.first semester, or midterms or something else)?

Taylor Gang or Die
01simplicity
Posted: April 24, 2009 10:53:31 AM

Grade 11 courses become a lot more detailed than gr10 courses.
Like for gr11, the sciences are split off into bio, chem, physics.
The math is just functions for gr11, but in grade 12 it splits off into advanced functions, data management, and calculus&vectors.
ALL grade 12 grades count. First semester, midterms, final marks in june.. they all count.
Early acceptances are based off of grade 11 marks and first semester grade 12 marks. (early acceptances are usually given from january to early april)
Then after midterms, all acceptances/offers should be given (from end of april to mid may) and you get til the end of may to accept one program of your choice
After you are granted admission to a program, you have to maintain a certain average (depending on which program you're going into)
If you do not maintain your final average/conditions at the end of june after exams, your offer may be revoked.

This is for semestered schools, btw
X-FactorVigi
Posted: April 24, 2009 11:00:56 AM

oh ok thanks, yea i was a little confused about when offers r sent, some kids in my class were saying that after u get accepted u dont even hav to try, but u hav to maintain ur avg. i understand....and can anyone comment on the difficulty of "Functions", cause i really don't like math (i like bio and chem more), but if i try i get high 90s, but i still dont like it, and i was wondering how hard it is...thanks in advance

Taylor Gang or Die
Celer
Posted: April 24, 2009 11:18:38 AM

You will feel that grade 10 is entirely different compared to grade 11.

Grade 10 is like a breeze. I never studied and got good marks. Science (bio, chem, phy) were all lumped together and briefly talked about.

In Grade 11, everything general splits into their respective specialized classes, and they go into real detail. Study or die.

I struggled in grade 11. I thought it was the hardest year in high school. By grade 12, you should have been accustomed to this and feel that its pretty manageable, hence grade 12 being considered "easier" although its really not. It just that your work habits have improved.

Don't know where to go. =(
milktea02
Posted: April 24, 2009 2:31:55 PM

You seem to be getting really good marks right now so Grade 11 shouldn't be any "harder". I wouldn't worry about it if you have good study habits, pay attention in class, and do your homework/assignments.

UBC Science '13
UBC CSP 09
UBC '13
Place Vanier 09/10 and 10/11

Majoring in Chemistry
Robbie L
Posted: April 24, 2009 2:36:29 PM

Put it this way. I haven't ever tried very hard, yet my marks went up considerably every year.

Grade 9 and 10, your marks are purely based on how much work you do, and grade 11 and 12 you can get good marks just by being smart.

Plus, it's 2:33 on a friday, and I'm at home. Grade 12 is pretty god damn sweet.
juliushark
Posted: April 24, 2009 4:23:49 PM

I found that grade 11 is much easier than grade 10.

http://www.dal.ca/images/logo_print.gif
unsureofwhat
Posted: April 24, 2009 6:14:46 PM

Everyone will have different experiences (obviously then some will be similar).

Some will say that Grade 11 was more difficult, and required more studying. Others will say that it was easier for whatever difference they noticed between Gr11 and Gr10 courses.

In the end, if you're doing very well this year, expect to do very well next year (if you're attending the same school) in similar courses, at the least.
devi
Posted: April 24, 2009 6:33:48 PM

No... grade 11 functions is nothing to worry about if you are doing good in grade 10.

Science may be a bit more difficult as it is branched out into bio, chem and physics and you may find yourself to be weaker in one of those particular areas.

I took all three this year and here is my opinion on each (everyone is different keep in mind)

Biology - i find bio interesting however there is a lot of memorization, to get a really high mark you need to study your ass off (not my cup of tea, not taking it in grade 12)

Chemistry & Physics - grade 11 a lot of math involved, memorizing/applying formulas. you can get 90s by just being smart and not spending hours upon hours studying. (random note - physics class average is 87, however my teacher is screwing awesome so yeah big grin )

I know people who are better in biology than they are in chemistry & physics so it really depends on the person. I would recommend taking all three in grade 11 then once you know what you want to do in university you can take the necessary prerequisite science classes in grade 12, to get into the programs you are interested in.

I AM COOLER THAN U
kraken.
Posted: April 24, 2009 6:55:07 PM

I found grade 11 in general a little harder than grade 10, but not much. For me Functions 11 was considerably harder than gr. 10 math, but I think that's partly because I slacked off more.

UTSG Trinity College 1Tsomething

dear mods: please don't delete this forum yet! it would make me so depressed! it gives me a happy nostalgic feeling smile
at least archive it or something instead of destroying it like you did with the OLD old forum!
devi
Posted: April 24, 2009 7:26:49 PM

X-FactorVigi wrote:
oh ok thanks, yea i was a little confused about when offers r sent, some kids in my class were saying that after u get accepted u dont even hav to try, but u hav to maintain ur avg. i understand....and can anyone comment on the difficulty of "Functions", cause i really don't like math (i like bio and chem more), but if i try i get high 90s, but i still dont like it, and i was wondering how hard it is...thanks in advance

Don't count out physics smile , i don't know if it's like this at your school but we did A LOT of hands on experiments/labs, it's not all math. i've found it to be a very fun and interesting class.

I AM COOLER THAN U
BigBMan
Posted: April 24, 2009 8:12:14 PM

Didn't read the rest but..

I found grade 11 much more easier than Grade 10 even with the 3 grade 12 courses I'm taking...it's still easier ;P

but you have to consider that I tried harder this year

Keep up your habits and you'll be better than fine...

don't stress over it, and if you have some spare or you feel you will be a little relaxed in one of the semesters, take a grade 12 course and take a leap a head... smile

University of Western Ontario 2014
Political Science w/ Ivey AEO Status
Bored
Posted: April 24, 2009 8:18:32 PM

ok all i can say suggest is, play all the games u want to in gr 11 and gr 10. because when u get into gr 12, u will have u work ur a$$ off, even spend lunch studying for test next periods.. but what happens is once second semester midterm is over, gr 12 is like all day skips and fooling around., and then again working in university.. thats what ive noticed..

for example. begaining of semester 1 gr 12, i was working hard, semester 2 i worked hard, now that midterms are done, i cant help but do nothign and only test on study days..

milktea02
Posted: April 24, 2009 8:28:27 PM

Bored wrote:
ok all i can say suggest is, play all the games u want to in gr 11 and gr 10. because when u get into gr 12, u will have u work ur a$$ off, even spend lunch studying for test next periods.. but what happens is once second semester midterm is over, gr 12 is like all day skips and fooling around., and then again working in university.. thats what ive noticed..

for example. begaining of semester 1 gr 12, i was working hard, semester 2 i worked hard, now that midterms are done, i cant help but do nothign and only test on study days..

I don't get it... do you guys not have to worry about finals or anything?

UBC Science '13
UBC CSP 09
UBC '13

Majoring in Chemistry
devil10078
Posted: April 24, 2009 9:39:38 PM

milktea02 wrote:
Bored wrote:

If you can manage to get 80's and 90's before...it means that you are capable of getting at least decent mark (AT LEAST MID TO HIGH 70's)

even if you don't try too hard..

Unless you have epic fail....which won't happens to many others....you will be fine..just RELAX..

MANY like me slack off after midterms...Come on...there is like 40 days until Summer...I don't care about the EXAM...I just want the school to be over..

UTSG Commerce '13 Innis College

janinae
Posted: April 25, 2009 3:15:24 PM

Looking at this, I suppose it's different for everyone, but I found grade 11 to be more difficult than grade 10. Then again, I finished 10 science with a 92, but when that branched off into biology and chemistry (I didn't take physics), I finished bio with an 80 and chem with a 70. Yeah...

It really all depends on your work habits. It's going to be a much bigger work load in 11, compared to 10. But by the time it truly matters in grade 12, you'll have gotten used to working your butt off, which is why I'm doing much better this year, anyway.

Accepted: McMaster Life Sciences, Western Social Science, UTSG Life Sciences, Guelph Science, Waterloo Life Sciences.
Waiting: Queen's Science.
Kadd
Posted: April 25, 2009 3:29:29 PM

I thought grade 11 was the easiest year. Maybe i just naturally tried harder i have no idea but the only subject i found difficult was chemistry (Started in the low 80s finished in low 70s worry )

uOttawa Bsc Psychology '13
milktea02
Posted: April 25, 2009 4:57:50 PM

devil10078 wrote:
milktea02 wrote:
Bored wrote:

If you can manage to get 80's and 90's before...it means that you are capable of getting at least decent mark (AT LEAST MID TO HIGH 70's)

even if you don't try too hard..

Unless you have epic fail....which won't happens to many others....you will be fine..just RELAX..

MANY like me slack off after midterms...Come on...there is like 40 days until Summer...I don't care about the EXAM...I just want the school to be over..

ah, I'm guessing it's an east coast thing. After midterms my mark can still fall drastically if I slack off in class, like half the course isn't even over yet. And if I do decent (like a 70%) on my final (which is worth 40% of my final grade), my mark could drop 10%. Damn, I wish I could just slack off =.=

Kadd wrote:
I thought grade 11 was the easiest year. Maybe i just naturally tried harder i have no idea but the only subject i found difficult was chemistry (Started in the low 80s finished in low 70s worry )

I also found that Chemistry was the hardest of the science 11's. I think it was mainly because of the oraganic chemistry for me... I had a bad start with Chem 12 but brought my mark up by the end of the course. I found chem 12 to be easier than chem 11 probably because in chem 11 everything was new and chem 12 was just building off of chem 11. smile

UBC Science '13
UBC CSP 09
UBC '13

Majoring in Chemistry
NotAnotherOne
Posted: April 27, 2009 8:55:57 AM

Grade eleven sucks. You actually gotta do work. Don't take too many classes that you're not very good at (IE: Don't be stupid like me and have physics 11, chemistry 11, math and bio 12 all in one semester when you're all round terrible at math)
Samuel71
Posted: April 27, 2009 10:47:21 PM

Grade 11 is a tad harder... but not that much. My average went up, though, since in grade 10 I was at an all-time low in motivation and slept in class and skipped school as much as possible. I also got sick of my French teacher and, for my independent study project, wrote two sentences for what was supposed to be a four-paragraph essay. razz

McGill Engineering 2014