We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

waterloo civil engineering or u of t architecture? Options
GreenFreakk
Posted: May 18, 2010 10:42:26 PM

Groups: Member

College programs and degrees that are not part of a pre-professional architecture program are normally considered insufficient preparation for the program. However, we will consider applicants with non-standard backgrounds, provided they can demonstrate an overall competency in all areas of building design and construction. If this describes your situation, then we encourage you to contact us for more information.

thats ryerson masters of arch.

i get what your saying but you trying to say no one other than a BAS or equivalent can get into Masters of Arch. it says right there if the individual is competent enough in building design an construction which is what your learn in civil they will consider them.

Applying to:
University of Waterloo Environmental Engineering
University of Toronto Civil Engineering (Specializing in Environmental Engineering)
Queens University Geological Engineering (Specializing in Geo-Environmental Engineering
Voltaire
Posted: May 18, 2010 10:54:38 PM

Buddy, Ryerson is not accredited by the CAAB and the program is useless because you will not be recognized as an architect. If an when it does get accredited they will have to comply with more stringent stipulations. You lost, give up.

Architecture is not competence with building construction- architects are not engineers, when will you learn?!

Carleton University- Architecture 2014
GreenFreakk
Posted: May 18, 2010 11:07:22 PM

The Master of Architecture is a three-and-one-half year first professional degree program intended for individuals who have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree (in any discipline—BA, BSc, BASc, BES, BFA, BCom, et cetera). Applicants must have a final year average of at least mid-B from the University of Toronto, or its equivalent from another recognized university. Preference is given to individuals who have completed a balanced undergraduate education that includes study in the arts, sciences and humanities and who demonstrate leadership potential in the field.

that one is UofT.

again no one said that architecture is like engineering or vice versa.

but this proves that people can go from civil engineering into the masters of arch.

Applying to:
University of Toronto Civil Engineering (Specializing in Environmental Engineering)
Queens University Geological Engineering (Specializing in Geo-Environmental Engineering
Minime22
Posted: May 18, 2010 11:41:11 PM

Voltaire wrote:

•A four-year honours undergraduate degree in pre-professional Architecture or professional Bachelor of Architecture degree with a minimum overall average of 75% (B).

Hmm...ryerson's degree is pre-professional Architecture : )
So does it mean after i get my undergraduate then i can go to carleton for masters?

Ryerson Architecture 2014
Average: 92.64%
Voltaire
Posted: May 18, 2010 11:55:13 PM

Ryerson is not accredited. You guys have thick skulls.

Minime22
Posted: May 19, 2010 12:06:54 AM

Voltaire wrote:
Ryerson is not accredited. You guys have thick skulls.

wooow...I KNOW its not accredited...but :
http://www.feas.ryerson.ca/styles/1/undergraduate/architecture/index.html

The Ryerson Master of Architecture degree is a two-year program which requires successful completion of a pre-professional degree in architecture, such as the Ryerson Bachelor of Architectural Science degree, for admission.

Ryerson is saying that their bachelor degree is a "pre-professional degree" which is needed to go into a masters degree but of course it is not accredited...

im not saying it is.

Ryerson Architecture 2014
Average: 92.64%
Voltaire
Posted: May 19, 2010 7:29:25 AM

Then you're not an architect. Bottom line. You will not be able to stamp anything.

GreenFreakk
Posted: May 19, 2010 12:09:31 PM

Minime22 wrote:
Voltaire wrote:

•A four-year honours undergraduate degree in pre-professional Architecture or professional Bachelor of Architecture degree with a minimum overall average of 75% (B).

Hmm...ryerson's degree is pre-professional Architecture : )
So does it mean after i get my undergraduate then i can go to carleton for masters?

you can always get your masters at u of t which is accreditted with any bachelors. so your ryerson bachelor would get you into u of t.

Applying to:
Klukuska
Posted: May 22, 2010 7:34:39 PM

Voltaire I understand and appreciate everything u have posted.
I wish it were that simple for me to choose, the only exposure I have had to architecture is from what I read and heard but never actually experienced especially since I am coming straight out of high school. I have taken a technological design course (the only one offered at my school) during each year of high school. I liked and appreciated everything I learned there and I hope to pursue some sort of design-oriented degree even if it isn't the main focus of the program. I will most likely be taking the civil @ waterloo program because through co-op it will give me the opportunity to become self-efficient and independent which is what I really need right now. The co-op will also help create good contacts for the future when I go for the March program at UofT or elsewhere.

Thanks so much guys!

If you can persuade me otherwise let me hear itsmile
mehyay
Posted: March 20, 2011 1:17:23 AM

A pre-professional degree is just any 4-year undergraduate programs. Therefore, a 4-year undergraduate degree with a major in architecture qualifies for a pre-professional architecture degree REGARDLESS of title (BA, BSc, BAS, BA.AS).

That's why it is possible to go into MArch provided you have a pre-professional degree in arch.

Now, there ARE schools that says it is possible to do a masters in architecture without a pre-professional degree in architecture. However, keep in mind that masters = professional degree. This means that what they learn there was already (or should be) taught in undergraduate studies. Therefore, if you just jump right in, you will more or less struggle to relate to the material taught. As well, the portfolio plays an important role in applying. Your portfolio at this point no longer means high school art or anything like that. while it is good to show them, they're not the only thing. What they look for would be .. your understanding in architectural concepts, theories, and structures. They expect you to know enough to be applying to a professional program. This is why it is recommended to have an undergrad in architecture/architectural studies before going into the masters.

BTW, ryerson just got accredited. and speaking of accreditation, it only applies to schools that offer professional programs (check CACB). They accredit professional programs and not pre-. You can see that Ryerson's master is there. Accreditation is not given to any bachelor's degree anymore (all of them ended roughly in 2004/2005). So no, there's no such a thing as "unaccredited Ryerson BASc."