We match you with mondy for school
join studentawards | the forum | membership benefits | surveys français? visitez boursetudes.com  
Welcome Guest to the Studentawards Forum Forum Home | Search | Active Topics | Forum Members | Forum Log In | Forum Register

Teachers salary.. Options
TheSituation
Posted: December 19, 2010 11:41:50 PM

Groups: Member

LMAOOOO 62.5 hours a week. The average teacher does not work that much, ahahahahahahahah.

20 minutes marking per student for a weekly assignment? You get like one assignment every 1-2 months. Culminating's yeah they take a while. But that 30 hours (30 students/class * 3 sections * 20 minutes per student) - and I'd say closer to 10-15 minutes per student, is so spread out over the 2-3 weeks they take to mark.

Tests? If teacher's are smart they use Scantron tests which they don't even have to mark in entirety, or use it as a function of the test to limit the amount of marking they have to do.

University of Western Ontario
Business Management and Organizational Studies (BMOS)
Class of 2013

dunno wrote:
The Asian floor was one of the tightest floors in the rez
kaloolah
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:06:32 AM

TheSituation wrote:
LMAOOOO 62.5 hours a week. The average teacher does not work that much, ahahahahahahahah.

20 minutes marking per student for a weekly assignment? You get like one assignment every 1-2 months. Culminating's yeah they take a while. But that 30 hours (30 students/class * 3 sections * 20 minutes per student) - and I'd say closer to 10-15 minutes per student, is so spread out over the 2-3 weeks they take to mark.

Tests? If teacher's are smart they use Scantron tests which they don't even have to mark in entirety, or use it as a function of the test to limit the amount of marking they have to do.

I can not think of any core subject class that I have not had at least one assignment due a week since grade one or two. As for "non-core subjects", I have tons of music work, like essays, composition, and tests. For gym in jr high and for Mode de Vie Actif (physically active lifestyle) I had minor and major assignments and tests. In a typical core subject class in a typical week, I have multiple assignments to pass in.

Essays, essay questions, music theory/ composition...how could this be marked on scantron?

I came up with the "20 minutes" because of my personal experience. I know a whole lot of teachers. I would stand by that, especially for liberal arts courses.

EC's:
Auditioned for the National Youth Band for 2011 (haven't heard back yet, fingers crossed!)
4 years provincial honor band
4 years provincial honor jazz band program
5 years in the honors district music program: choir, band (first chair flute/ piccolo), big band (playing lead sax)
6 years school music program, playing/ singing in various groups such as the choir, concert band, jazz band, jazz combo, sax ensemble, flute ensemble
1 year school debate team
1 year school newspaper
11 years girl guides
Grade 8 RCM flute (working on grade 9)
kargo93
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:21:29 AM

kaloolah wrote:
TheSituation wrote:

I can not think of any core subject class that I have not had at least one assignment due a week since grade one or two. As for "non-core subjects", I have tons of music work, like essays, composition, and tests. For gym in jr high and for Mode de Vie Actif (physically active lifestyle) I had minor and major assignments and tests. In a typical core subject class in a typical week, I have multiple assignments to pass in.

Essays, essay questions, music theory/ composition...how could this be marked on scantron?

I came up with the "20 minutes" because of my personal experience. I know a whole lot of teachers. I would stand by that, especially for liberal arts courses.

dont argue with him...
I got the point about how much teachers do outside 6hours of teaching..

Im just :$ about finding a job after grad.. Is it good out look?
and btw Can't teachers like go become a accountant w.e if they wish to? (assuming you have a Bcomm/ BBA alreay)

Applied to:
Ryerson - Bcomm | UWindsor - Bcomm Co-op | York- Concurrent

Kargo93- on new forum
TheSituation
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:26:37 AM

kargo93 wrote:
kaloolah wrote:
TheSituation wrote:

dont argue with him...

(blah blah blah)

WISER WORDS HAVE YET TO BE SPOKEN!

Class of 2013

dunno wrote:
LawStudent
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:28:43 AM

Haha, what a joke. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

If teaching were so hard, then quit! No one is forcing teachers to teach. If they have it so bad then they can leave. But they don't leave because they have excellent deals and great benefits.

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law 2011
kaloolah
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:33:03 AM

LawStudent wrote:

If teaching were so hard, then quit! No one is forcing teachers to teach. If they have it so bad then they can leave. But they don't leave because they have excellent deals and great benefits.

I never said that they were underpaid. I never said that they aren't well off. I just said that its not a 6 hour a day job.

As to the person that originally asked this question, most teachers that I know are very happy with what they do. They seem to find it rewarding.

EC's:
Auditioned for the National Youth Band for 2011 (haven't heard back yet, fingers crossed!)
5 years in the honors district music program: choir, band (first chair flute/ piccolo), big band (playing lead sax)
6 years school music program, playing/ singing in various groups such as the choir, concert band, jazz band, jazz combo, sax ensemble, flute ensemble
1 year school newspaper
11 years girl guides
kargo93
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:34:25 AM

LawStudent wrote:

Same goes other way around.. If it's so easy why dont you become a teacher?

Anyways my other question is: Would you choose a career for its benefits?

Applied to:
Ryerson - Bcomm | UWindsor - Bcomm Co-op | York- Concurrent

Kargo93- on new forum
TheSituation
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:37:26 AM

kargo93 wrote:
LawStudent wrote:

Benefits are key, work-life balance is key. They are indirect compensation factors.
If I can get full dental and health care that's going to save me money on drug prescriptions, operations, etc. If I can get a pension I'm going to need to save less.

Those benefits for example are huge. You wouldn't choose a career for that obviously, you need to enjoy/have interest in what you do.

Class of 2013

dunno wrote:
kaloolah
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:44:55 AM

TheSituation wrote:
kargo93 wrote:
LawStudent wrote:

Benefits are key, work-life balance is key. They are indirect compensation factors.
If I can get full dental and health care that's going to save me money on drug prescriptions, operations, etc. If I can get a pension I'm going to need to save less.

Those benefits for example are huge. You wouldn't choose a career for that obviously, you need to enjoy/have interest in what you do.

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but after a teacher retires in NS, they STILL have health/ dental. They get their pension and everything, and the keep their health care until they die.

That is a sick deal.

EC's:
1 year school newspaper
11 years girl guides
TheSituation
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:46:24 AM

kaloolah wrote:
TheSituation wrote:
kargo93 wrote:
LawStudent wrote:

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but after a teacher retires in NS, they STILL have health/ dental. They get their pension and everything, and the keep their health care until they die.

That is a sick deal.

Yeah sounds right. They have it good. Most public/government employees as well.

Class of 2013

dunno wrote:
LawStudent
Posted: December 20, 2010 12:47:58 AM

kargo93 wrote:
LawStudent wrote:

Because I don't want to be a teacher erm

Carleton University
Bachelor of Arts in Law 2011
g93
Posted: December 20, 2010 10:07:34 AM

LawStudent wrote:

Oh, I'm not saying it's a hard and stressful job (compared to almost any other), and there I the time off and benefits and all.
My cousin is a teacher so I have found out that they work more than you would think, but it is still not a hard job.

Applied to: Laurier BBA Waterloo AFM-PA Brock BAcc (Co-op)

Might switch Brock BAcc to Guelph BComm- PM me if you are in the program or know someone who is in it or have any info at all.
g93
Posted: December 20, 2010 10:57:02 AM

kargo93 wrote:
kaloolah wrote:
TheSituation wrote:

dont argue with him...
I got the point about how much teachers do outside 6hours of teaching..

Im just :$ about finding a job after grad.. Is it good out look?
and btw Can't teachers like go become a accountant w.e if they wish to? (assuming you have a Bcomm/ BBA alreay)
As long as you have a designation, and continually do the continued education to maintain the designation every year, then yes.

All of my accounting teachers so far (3) have a designation.

Applied to: Laurier BBA Waterloo AFM-PA Brock BAcc (Co-op)

Might switch Brock BAcc to Guelph BComm- PM me if you are in the program or know someone who is in it or have any info at all.
EngSciHopeful
Posted: December 28, 2010 7:39:27 PM

SPAM

UNIVERSITY*OF*TORONTO*ENGINEERING*SCIENCE*1T4

UNIVERSITY*OF*TORONTO*CHEMISTRY*CLASS*OF*2014